mtbr member

Is Saint overkill for an Evil Sovereign?

Hi guys, since I have a few singlespeed bikes, I was thinking that MAYBE, I could run gears on my Sovereign. 1X9 or 1X10. So running only one gear in the front means I can go with a short cage rear derailleur. From what I know, only the Saint (looking at the 2013 stuff) is available with a short cage. Also, since I hate chain slap/noise, I would only consider a Shadow +.

Shimano advertizes the Saint stuff for mostly DH, and I'm really far from doing DH. I like to ride uphill before going downhill. I don't do big jumps or drops. Is Saint really overkill? Any chance of seeing other short caged derailleurs?

Thanks in advance,

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's not overkill at all. It's a tough frame built to take anything you throw at it. If you can justify 1x10 then saint could work perfectly well on your Sovereign. Also check out the Zee for something more affordable.

GAME ON!
    why not shimano zee?
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Hmmm.... haven't even thought about Zee..... Thanks!

mtbr member
    my personal opinion, and where my Yelli build will be going, is that an AM rig can and will get crashed. saint gear is much more likely to survive the crash. thus, letting you continue to ride!

i plan to run a saint rear der/shifter set. planning to run saint calipers with xt levers, though i may just do saint all around.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For derailleur I think your fine, might be a little overkill if your looking at saint brakes, and cranks for what you describe.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sram type 2's come in short cage. Don't know if you're partial to shimano or not.

mtbr member
    Just want to report back on the Zee (shadow +) derailleur I finally got. Installed with a 11-32 SLX cassette, SLX chain and Zee shifter.

I'm used to XT and XTR grade stuff, also SRAM X0 and X9. Quality-wise, The Zee is right up there. I only tried it with the clutch ON, and everything was noiseless. No chainslap. I didn't even have any type of protection on my chainstay. Shifting was crisp and easy. Can't imagine why I would run anything else on this bike. I'm impressed... The shifter came with enough housing to run it full length, which I did.

The only thing I have left to do is to find a set of SLX brakes to replace the AVIDs I have right now... Hoping for a deal on Black Friday...

Johnnydrz

Forgot to mention: I was not using any type of chain guide. Chain never came off. Still, I will be installing one, just in case.
    Last edited by Johnnydrz; 11-19-2012 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr member
    I have a mix of Saint and SLX on my Honzo. So why not Saint? It's the only Shimano der. that comes in SS anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I have a mix of Saint and SLX on my Honzo. So why not Saint? It's the only Shimano der. that comes in SS anyway.
    Don't forget about the new Zee!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DimitrisCSD View Post
    Don't forget about the new Zee!
    When I was making the switch from the SLX GS derailleur, the new 1x10 Saint/Zee wasn't yet available, plus I wasn't going to invest in other stuff when my 9spd drivetrain was fairly new.