Thread: Saddles

Trek Fuel EX 7

Saddles

What saddles do you guys ride? I have the stock 07 Trek fuel EX 7 bontrager one. But after 24+ miles in 6 inch deep mud everything went numb. Looking for something new that will help with the numbness issue.

Thanks

mtbr member
    WTB Pure for me. Many all day epics and nary a sore ass.

Training wheels ON
    Jan 2009
    WTB Rocket V Pro. Had a SDG Bel Air RL, that felt too stiff for my tush.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Norco saddle for me, came with the Rampage. Its comfy but have been looking at WTB.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    Believe me, i'm having the most fun on the trail.

The other bike has a fizik ASS, which aside from being just a little bit too narrow is really nice with my terrible climbing geometry.

mtbr member
    WTB Rocket V, has the perfect climbing platform for me..
    No more numb sacks or sore asses lol

Knolliac
    wtb devo

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    Wtb silverado have one on each of my bikes.

Gnar
    WTB Laser

wait...what?
    that photo is HILARIOUS...though I hope its a ladys bike

Dirt Deviant
    SDG Bel Air RL, WTB Rocket V and Transition Park & Ride AM Saddle.
    I have all of those. The SDG is a little firm, but is still breaking in. The WTB is nice from the start. But I think I really like the thick nose of the Transition saddle the best so far.
    The SDG seems the thinest out of the 3. The transition looks slimmer, but feels the best so far.
    I was skeptical of the transition saddle before I bought it.....but once it showed up and I installed it, I'm glad I gave it a shot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    WTB Rocket or Pure for me.
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv

wuss
    SDG Bel Air is probably the most comfortable saddle I tried. I know have the SDG Formula FX which is probably not as comfortable (but the most comfortable ibeam saddle I tried).

TNC
    noMAD man
    Good luck with saddle recommendations over the internet. Many quality saddles can be suggested, but only your butt will know when the right one comes along. There are two or three Specialized Body Geometry style saddles that fit me, but they may or may not suit you. The same goes for WTB or other saddles. From your "going numb" comment, it does sound like you need a noticeably grooved or V-style saddle. From there it's going to be the design of the side platforms of the saddle which can vary greatly to suit your anatomy. Some bike shops have a saddle program that allows you to try various models on your bike with the understanding that you'll purchase a saddle from them when/if you find one that suits you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    SDG Bel Air was nice, but definitely on the stiff side. Everything I have tried from WTB has been awesome, I especially like the Rocket V. I am currently on my second Fizik Gobi XM and even though I haven't met many that like this saddle, I am really enjoying. I have never enjoyed anything from Selle Italia, not trying to bash, they just don't have anything that fits my sit bones.

mtbr member
    I have the WTB pure and Rocket V SLT Ti. The SLt is more comfortable of the two for me and weighs in at a mere 210 grams. I prefer the SLT silver but they were out of stock. leather makes the difference!

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I've been using a Bontrager InForm RL for a few weeks now. It's been pretty good to me. They come in different sizes so you'll have to get measured.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

Chillin the Most
    WTB Pure (railed) & SDG Fomula MT (I-Beam)

Woodlot local
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Good luck with saddle recommendations over the internet. Many quality saddles can be suggested, but only your butt will know when the right one comes along. There are two or three Specialized Body Geometry style saddles that fit me, but they may or may not suit you. The same goes for WTB or other saddles. From your "going numb" comment, it does sound like you need a noticeably grooved or V-style saddle. From there it's going to be the design of the side platforms of the saddle which can vary greatly to suit your anatomy. Some bike shops have a saddle program that allows you to try various models on your bike with the understanding that you'll purchase a saddle from them when/if you find one that suits you.
    TNC, once again you are the man.

To the original poster, saddle soreness is something that can be avoided and eliminated completely with the right saddle for your body.

Everyone's bits n pieces are different and what works for me might not work for you.

WTB has test ride saddles at shops. Give them a try.

I went from a speed V to a rocket V and hated it. Then I tried the Devo and love it. But again, what works for one person may not work for another.

Also remember saddle adjustment (angle and fore aft can affect comfort as well).

mtbr member
    I hate the bontrager race saddle that came with my hifi. I went on a 2 hour ride (with really nice Sugoi RS Shorts) and i was so sore it hurt to walk the next day. My LBS has a WTB test program thing. 2 weeks ago i had the pure v, last week the rocket v, and have the devo on right now, and i'm waiting for someone else to return the Silverado saddle. So far I like the rocket v the best, wasn't a fan of pure v and my one ride on the devo alrady tells me it's too wide. If i don't like the Silverado I'm going to buy the Rocket v pro

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    WTB rocket V. Just about perfect for me.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    WTB Speed V rec, or a WTB Pure V Race. both fit me quite well
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

Come on, dare me!
    I beg to differ... Fizik Gobi XM titanium rails, here.