mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Saddle & sit bone measurement

Need to start looking for a new saddle soon, anyone know of companies that give good sit bone support. Or do any provide sit bone measurements?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillOG
    Need to start looking for a new saddle soon, anyone know of companies that give good sit bone support. Or do any provide sit bone measurements?
    you have to have your sit bones measured, then find a seat thats a little bigger.

watch this.. FF to 4:21 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CucLJ...eature=related
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

great video

Quote Originally Posted by nauc
    you have to have your sit bones measured, then find a seat thats a little bigger.

watch this.. FF to 4:21 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CucLJ...eature=related
    I haven't seen that one yet, thanks, lots of good info in there.

I've measured myself, but from the few saddles I've looked at so far (need to look more tonight) I haven't seen any companies that give the measurement. I guess it's not common?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Bontrager/Trek has a sitting bench with gel in it that you can get the size of saddle they suggest. I don't think it actually gives a sit-bone measurement, just their corresponding saddle size to use. You could of course measure that. The Bontrager saddles that work with their suggestions are the inForm saddles.

To get your sit-bone measurement at home you might be able to try play-doe in a large zip-lock bag. Just a thought, haven't tried it.

Edit: Doh, didn't see that you already measured, skip the last suggestion. I don't know of any companies that match your sit-bone measurement with their particular saddle width for correct support.

mtbr member
    Most any Specialized LBS Dealer has a sit bone measuring board, and measures for saddle width.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01
    I don't know of any companies that match your sit-bone measurement with their particular saddle width for correct support.
    Seems like it's gonna be more difficult than I expected.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    WTB, Trek, and Specialized do give their saddle widths:

http://www.wtb.com/products/saddles/

http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?...ORY&itemID=470

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...1009&scid=1020

I'm sure there are more. good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sounds like what you can do is like the above video said in it. Know your sit bone width, get a saddle that is a little wider that does not have too much of a sloping wing edge, and has a slight uprise in the tail for good forward rotation of the pelvis.

I knew from Bontrager's saddle measuring bench that I should use a 146mm (middle size) in their road saddles. I contacted Bontrager about their mountain saddles and they said I should again take the middle size which was the 138mm. I ended up, on one of my bikes, with the 143mm Specialized Phenom since their 130mm would obviously be too narrow. It has worked out very well for myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    deerhill, unless you are looking for a really high-end saddle like brooks, selle italia, etc. you should do one of two things...
    -buy from the lbs that has a saddle demo program. WTB comes to mind.
    -buy from Specialized or Performance so you can return/exchange the saddle if it doesn't fit.Trek may also offer the same service.
    -Just don't try to buy your saddle online until you find one that works for you by riding it first.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the input..maybe I need to start looking for chamois shorts that have bone support.

Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    deerhill, unless you are looking for a really high-end saddle like brooks, selle italia, etc. you should do one of two things...
    -buy from the lbs that has a saddle demo program. WTB comes to mind.
    -buy from Specialized or Performance so you can return/exchange the saddle if it doesn't fit.Trek may also offer the same service.
    -Just don't try to buy your saddle online until you find one that works for you by riding it first.
    Didn't know they were exchangeable. I should have been doing this when I demoed my bikes.

mtbr member
    so what is your measurement?

mtbr member
    also, try tilting the tip of your seat down a hair so its not level. a level seat usually just kills my perineum
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    bringing back an old thread cause i was curious about the same thing and my new saddle hurts my backside worse than my old one. i ended up using a piece of a styrofoam cooler i had from an outing last week, put it on my coffee table and leaned forward into my normal riding position. and just kinda sat like that for a few mins. got up and voila perfect sit bone dents. dug though my pile of leftover bikes and found one that almost fits like the video( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CucL...eature=related ) said it should gonna use that one til i buy a new one.

Saddle & sit bone measurement-ass-dimples.jpg

mtbr member
    i used one of these assometers at a Spesh dealer when i got my saddle. it worked great. turns out, my WTB seat was too narrow. the Spesh seat feels a lot better

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    lmao. im gonna look around and see to see if any LBS have an assometer

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    i used one of these assometers at a Spesh dealer when i got my saddle. it worked great. turns out, my WTB seat was too narrow. the Spesh seat feels a lot better
    So newer saddles provide a sit bone measurement now?