mtbr member

Saddle Recommendations (Selle Italia)

I'm not exactly a Clyde, but am 5'10.5" and about 215 pounds, and sit hard on the saddle.
    Numb nuts is the order of the day for long rides, and I'm considering either the Max Flite Gel Flow or the Vintage 1990.
    I'm curious if the Vintage is really as comfortable as the reviews say, specifically for perineum relief and jewelry damage. It looks basic, which is fine, although the Gel Flow might look good on the Mojo SL as well.
    In the past, I'd considered the Adamo Peak, but it's heavy, and doesn't look like a good match for the Mojo.
    I do a mix of road and trail, and in the warmer weather, like to do 50-75 miles per week.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Happy Trails...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've always had good luck with WTB saddles. They seem to fit more people better and are a good mix for cushion and support. If you want to spend a little more cash Fizik saddles are super comfortable (for me at least). I picked up a Fizik Nisene last season and can ride ll day without issue.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

psycho cyclo addict
    I do a mix of rides totaling 50-100 mi per week, anything from serious rocks to urban assaults. I have three Selle Italia saddles: two C2 Gel Flow's and one SLR Check-It. None of them have bothered me on rides up to 100 miles. Support is also awesome- I had one of the C2's repaired (rails popped out due to gnarly crash) by their US facility.

mtbr member
    VT, my last saddle (I'm on an interim saddle, thanks to my good friend, who also happens to be my mech here in Korea) was a Laser V, and overall, it was ok. Pluses and minuses. I didn't really dig it over long hauls, but it was stable and gave me good control on the trails. Arguably the best saddle for the money, though.
    Edu (etc), good to know. I'd read a review where a rider whined about their horrible customer service (may have been a local rep). In Korea, it's pretty much buy and deal with it. They don't do customer service well (except on the front end, in which case it's phenomenal). Just don't have problems. They don't want to hear, and they pass the buck like nobody's business.
    My LBS says the Gel Flow in black is out of stock, so I have to wait, or choose another. Looks svelte, but is a bit hefty at approx 300 grams. The Vintage is around 220, but has no cut-out. I'm not sure how effective they are, never having had a saddle with one, so I can't speak to nut sac issues.
    Happy Trails...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm about your height and weight and ridden both the SLR and the Rocket V from WTB, they are both great saddles in their one way but very different., My current seat is the Trailmaster from Chromag, and it seems to be the best of both worlds (flat hard vs. soft hammock). and really sturdy if you weigh around the 100 kilo mark

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve L. Knievel View Post
    My LBS says the Gel Flow in black is out of stock, so I have to wait, or choose another. Looks svelte, but is a bit hefty at approx 300 grams. The Vintage is around 220, but has no cut-out. I'm not sure how effective they are, never having had a saddle with one, so I can't speak to nut sac issues.
    The SLR is 180g with no cut out and the C2's have a cut out. The family jewels fair well with either seat though for a really long ride or during hot and humid weather, a cut out might be a bit of and advantage in terms of additional air flow.

mtbr member
    My LBS/mech ordered the Ergon SM3 Pro from the importer here in Korea. One sexy looking saddle. I couldn't wait to get it dialed in and break it in. It arrived. I drooled. Then I looked at the packaging. I noticed "Small". I freaked. I asked him how on earth he thought I'd be a Small. Anyway, my fault...his fault...he's either going to keep it for himself or sell it.
    He said the importer doesn't have Large, and won't be importing it!
    135 mm will probably have all my weight on the jewelry...not my idea of fun.
    So he gave me his WTB Pure V Salsa to try out....148mm or 150mm depending on where you get your data from....also the reports of weight vary from 250-300. I guess I'll just have to pop it off and weight it.
    No matter...it fits great, mostly. A bit of a jump from previous saddle, so it feels a tad wide at the whale tail....just a tiny bit of discomfort...but not the jewels...good firm saddle with plenty of support.
    At my weight, I'll just have to hope that the reports of creaking and rail-snapping will not be my issue.
    Looks great on the Mojo....blends in well with the red links and CK hubs....
    Still love that Ergon, though.
    Happy Trails...