mtbr member

Saddle recommendations for 140mm+ width.

Can anyone recommend a good saddle thats 140-150mm in width?

I have tried the following saddles which are all under 140mm...

Some factory Specialized crapper
    WTB Rocket V
    WTB Volt
    WTB Devo
    Fizik Gobi
    Chromag Moon DT

I found all of these extremely uncomfortable.

I went to a Specialized store and had my sitbones measured and they are 120mm wide and they said that the recommended saddle width for me is 140-150mm. They sold me a Specialized Henge in 143mm and this saddle is blooody uncomfortable too with burning sitbones after about 30mins in the saddle.

Does anyone have any recommendations of any other saddles wider than 140mm?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A good old fashion brooks saddle is what you need sir. there are some cons but once broken in, its the best! this site recommend them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nothing worse than testing new saddles

WTB Pure V at 273x 148, WTB Laser V at 265x148, Fizik Aliante Gamma XM at 265x142 or Chromag Trailmaster at 284x140 may all be potential options. Have a friend who swears by his new Trailmaster LTD (definitely looks gorgeous).

-Shane
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How about this one? WTB_Vigo 143mm x 280mm

I tried the WTB Pure V, Rocket V, and Volt, before settling on the Vigo.

Tactical Nightmare
    I think you need to give any saddle a longer try than just one ride. The right saddle for you should make the sit bones sore at first, because you are sitting on them as opposed to the soft tissue. A new saddle takes a few rides to get used to, in my opinion.

I went through and still am really, a similar issue as you. My stock seat was a Fizik Tundra, which is a good saddle in most regards, but I found out my sit bones measured around 140mm and that saddle is a 125mm. Yeah, bad deal. Now I am trying a Specialized Phenom. The Body Geometry design I think is really nice, and I went with the 155mm saddle. Sure, it fits, but the first few rides are a bit sore until I get used to it.

I just don't think any new saddle you can get on and instantly have that Ahhhhh! moment, where it just feels good and right. I think you have to give it some time, at least a few rides. Just my $.02.
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    I think you need to give any saddle a longer try than just one ride. The right saddle for you should make the sit bones sore at first, because you are sitting on them as opposed to the soft tissue. A new saddle takes a few rides to get used to, in my opinion.
    +1. i use a spec phenom 142, first few rides i am hating life but then i adjust and it rocks.

Huffy Rider
    WTB Deva?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments,

Yes I agree you need to spend some time on the saddles not just a single ride and this I have done. Some of the saddles listed I have spent up to 6 months on. The lastest saddle the Specialized BG Henge recommended to me after having sitbones measured I have done probably over 500kms of riding on and its no better.

I might just have to keep buying and trying, this is becoming a very expensive pain in the ass....literally!.

Next up, a San Marco Dirty - Squod

mtbr member
    Wtb Pure v. Super comfy wider seat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    Wtb Pure v. Super comfy wider seat.
    I agree.

Tactical Nightmare
    Thanks for the update OP and the clarification of what's going on for you. If you have been through that many different saddles, maybe it's time to try something different......like really different. I've never used these myself, but it seems like the people that have swear by them. You might want to take a look and see what you think. Believe me, they are different looking, and maybe you have seen them before. Maybe it's worth a shot after all you have tried.

Welcome | Ideal Saddle Modification
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

mtbr member

Saddle recommendations for 140mm+ width.

+1 on the phenom. Love it. On road and both mtb's. very personal choice, but works for me.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

App-a-LATCH-un
    I am 200+ lbs. I have tried many saddles. Soft saddles such as the Pure v squish down everywhere but the middle and then the foam in the middle puts pressure on the soft tissue. I bought a 155 phenom many miles ago. At first it was rough on the sit bones, but at least I was sitting on my sit bones and not other tender parts. After a few angle adjustments, I have found it to be the most comfortable saddle in my 20ish years of riding bikes. I also have a Brooks saddle on my touring bike. It is comfortable if you sit in just the right spot, but that is impossible while all mountain riding and it is insanely heavy.
    I've got a bike
    You can ride it if you like
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings
    and things to make it look good . . .

mtbr member
    Specialized Romin Evo Expert 155mm is what I use. Rode the Henge for over 6 months and it made me numb in all the wrong places. The Romin is very comfortable for extended climbs and is narrow enough to not be problem when going downhill and the Command Post is dropped.

mtbr member
    143 Specialized Toupe Gel; hated the first couple rides on it, but then I adjusted and it's wonderfully comfortable with or without a chamois, which is surprising considering my bony arse.

In addition to the other WTB models, have you (OP) ever used the WTB Silverado? None of the WTB saddles you mentioned were comfortable for me, but the Silverado was uber-comfortable for an under-140mm width saddle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I would take one of those off your hands lol.... I went to a local Kona dealer and they were selling their factory seats for $5 and they are 145, much more comfortable than any other seat I have rode with. I can alwys go and grab one for you...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lixxfe View Post
    How about this one? WTB_Vigo 143mm x 280mm

I tried the WTB Pure V, Rocket V, and Volt, before settling on the Vigo.
    X2 for the Vigo. Nice seat. Came stock on my 2011 Jamis Dakar and when I sold the bike I bought a Vigo for the new bike and my road bike. Also comes in a variety of color combos.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b