Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25
    Thanks for your replies,
    I tested a lot of stem/bars. Bars: from 660 mm to 710, raise 10mm, 20mm, 40mm. I finally choosed an Easton monkey light XC bar, 685mm, 30mm rise (3/4).
    Stems: from 50mm to 90mm. The longer the better, but the guy at my shop told me not to use more than 80mm stem on an all mountain bike... Bull****s? Maybe... I tried too different heights of the stem+bar, until I get a good feeling. It's pretti low in fact.
    Do you think I should use longer stem (100 or 110mm)? I'm a little bit afraid to go back to an XC driving position. Or maybe Eatdrinride is right: maybe the frame is too small...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25

    Less sad about having choosen a 575...

    Hello Folks!
    This is my first post here, so sorry if the question has been raised previously...
    I'm the proud (?) owner of a 2010 575 Yeti, black ano. I used to ride a commi Meta 5, but decided last year to change for something lighter, with better material on it, and better climber. I went to my local shop, and choosed a 575, Small size (I'm 1.72m, 5'8''), since the Yeti frames are pretty long. I decided to put top of the line material on it, like Fox 32 Talas RLC 150 15QR fork, Mavic Xmax ST wheels, Truvativ Noir crankset, and so on...For a top and super light 575 (12kg with Joplin4 seatpost).
    After a lot of ride, and a lot of testing with different saddle position, stem lenght, bar height, all possible combination, I'm sorry to say that I'm totally disappointed with this bike: I always feel way too high on it, with a twitchy climb, and unstable downhill. I thought the suspensions where not that good, so I sent them for a tuning: the bike felt better, but still not as good as the Meta5. Everybody I asked before I bought it told me it was the ultimate trail/all mountain bike, but I'm really not sure... Ok, it's not that bad, very reactive uphill, and not that unstable, but it's far from the Meta 5 in the downhill, and pretty twitchy uphill.
    I tested a totally different bike to check my feel: a Specialized Epic Comp. XC bike, but better climber (sure, but even in very technical trails!?), and more stable (!!!!) than the Yeti (but slower) in downhill. How could it be possible ?!?
    Is the size too small? Is there someting wrong in the setup? Or is it the bike that is normally "unstable", and people like it? Or maybe I have to find a bike that suits me better?
    I have to say that I'm totally lost, and a little bit sad... If you have an advice, it could be helpfull...

    Thakns!
    Last edited by Hamster; 04-22-2011 at 12:07 AM.

  3. #3
    DynoDon
    Reputation: manabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,667
    You never mentioned the bars, have you tried wider/higher/ or shorter bars?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    691
    Welcome to the forums Hamster!

    Can you share with us the stem length/rise along with bar width/rear sweep and rise you are using on this setup? A simple thing such as a10 to 20mm difference in stem length can alter the handling dynamics of a bicycle drastically....

  5. #5
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    Sounds too small for your liking.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    576
    Size sounds right. And if you've really tried every possible set-up tweak without getting it dialed to your liking it sounds like it's just not the right bike for you. Resale price should be really good since it's like new. Try to get some demo rides on different bikes before your next purchase.

    Although I have a 575 and twitchy is not at all how I'd describe it.

  7. #7
    kneecap
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,538
    5'8" & you bought a small???? I'd have recommended something between a med. & a large.
    Yeti's run the new slightly shorter effective top tube design, so even a med might be a little short for you. JMO..

  8. #8
    ಠ_ಠ
    Reputation: dulyebr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,192
    Yea, I'd have gone with a Med and a short stem.

    also, super light = less stable

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneEyedHito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    297
    Hamster:

    Some of this will be dependent on the trails/mountains you ride, but I went with the ASR5 because I felt the Medium 575 was too big for me, I'm 5'8"/5'9" in shoes (I was coming from a Medium 29er), and the ASR5 felt just right in the cockpit. I sometimes feel a little High in the Saddle on Climbs on the 5 but this thing goes DH like its on rails........My brakes are broke in for sure!!!!

    I am in the Cincinnati area so our 'mountains' are just hills but we have some new trails here that required me to put on the CB Iodine's to take the beating, I go anywhere from 175-200 depending on training season......

    My LBS is Top Notch (Reser Bicycle Outfitters) and they helped me tremendously with the fitment and set up. I am running a Thomson 50 and 0 for the stem with a Monkey Lite Carbon Rise and it's the best setup I've had on the 4 MTB's I've owned.

    Now if we could just get my Big Top SS built

    Hope this helped somewhat.....
    Hito

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    Just for reference - I bought a 2008 575 last summer, size Medium. I'm 5'9", inseam 31". The bike felt a bit large for me, especially on first few rides. My other bike is a 2005 Epic Comp medium frame, which always felt a bit small, but I got used to it.

    I use a Pike 454 UTurn fork, usually set around 130 - 135mm.

    The Epic was a bit faster uphill, but the 575 kills on the DH. Too much bike for my local trails - NJ roots and rocks, up and down 300' several times on my normal ride. But it is so much more fun, that I have only ridden the Epic once since getting the 575 (waiting for a hanger). I only ride for fun and fitness, no racing, so can't compare much on overall speed over the trail. It was scary fast on the steeps, took awhile to get used to the geometry and suspension feel. I ride with PP 2 up, switch it off on down if I remember. Run about 200 psi (close to my winter weight). The 454 is spring, and I use all of the travel.

    My Epic always had squeaks, which kept me chasing different ideas to quiet. Mainly due to cable stops on the frame, PITA to keep on top of. 575 feels much more solid, no noise unless the mech is out of adjustment.

    Good luck on trying to dial it in, I have no qualms about my 575, and will probably replace it with the newer model in a few years. My nephew races an ASR-C in Colorado, and is friends with the Yeti folks, which is another reason for me to support them ( I didn't know it until after I bought the bike).

    One more thing - I added a Reverb SP, a great way to get more enjoyment on the DH, and also for jumps and drops. I don't do anything too radical though, a couple feet off of ramps keeps me happy.

    dave

  11. #11
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    To clarify what I said earlier....Sounds like the frame is too small, for the OP...and his riding style/needs/wants. Fit is so subjective on a mtb. I'm 5'7'' and ride a small '08 575 and love it for the technical riding I do. Had a '05 medium 575 before that. The older 575's had a shorter TT.

    Oh, and btw OP, I run a 90mm stem on mine and ride extremely technical stuff at times. Hope your lbs guy doesn't laugh me off the trail with my "too-long-for-AM-stem"




  12. #12
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    sounds a little small for you but as someone else said i think it is just the wrong bike for you.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25
    Thanks for the clarification.
    I have to say once again that this bike is not that much unstable, it was just my feeling (and maybe I have not enough words to explain it finely since it's not my mother language). For sure Eatdrinkride, your trail IS technical !
    So do you think that trying a 100 or 110 stem could solve my problem? And sorry if I follow(ed?) my lbs advice, it's just they are Yeti "specialists" where I live...
    Thanks again for the replies

  14. #14
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    I think you should try different stems for sure, borrow some from the lbs if you can.

    How much time do you have on the bike so far? It took me a while to become comfortable on my small 575 after switching from the medium. Maybe you just need more time as well. The 575 is a fantastic bike so don't give up on it yet. I don't pretend that it's for everyone though. Some people hate it....some people hate DW link Turners as well.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,966
    I considered a 575 some time ago but having a SP SC Heckler already the 575 would be a step back. I called Yeti and asked about the bike , in general, and was told it was designed to tackle rocky Colorado trails and that meant "clearance", "tall BB feel" or whatever you want to call it.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nightofthefleming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    607
    I ride a 2010 575 as well. I'm about 5'9,5" and went with a medium. It is a little long, but a small was too short. So I got a medium and threw a 50mm stem and wide (28.5) bars on it. I wouldn't describe my 575 in any of the ways you have, I find mine to be very stable, climb very well, and to just be an amazing all around, heavy duty trail bike. I also had my RP23 PUSHED and they heavily improved the few qualms I had with the rear suspension; mid stroke wallow and blowing through the travel. I'm even thinking about putting a lyrik on mine cause I know it can handle more aggressive riding and to slack it out a bit.

    Anyway, it does sound like you may have been better off with a medium and a shorter stem. Or, it really may just not be the bike for you. Good luck, and I hope you find the remedy for your problem.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    310
    Let some air out of your tires.
    Aim for ~30 psi

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    80
    EATDRINKRIDE... is the two pictures you posted of the same drop?? Like the top pic is looking up and the bottom pic is from the top of the trail? If so that's a nasty drop! The bottom pic makes it look pretty intimidating!

    -OP.. I agree to try different air pressure in the tires, it can make a huge difference in handling!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    717
    i vote for too small also.. i know it is subjective for the terrain you ride but for your height it would seem you are right in the sweet spot for a medium.

  20. #20
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,242
    Removing the spacers from under my stem vastly improved the handling on my '08 575. I could never get the front to hook up in the corners. Removing the spacers moved the weight bias of the bike more to the front and helps plant the front tire. 1000x better
    No moss...

  21. #21
    here to make friends
    Reputation: Mr_Nice_Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by mklien
    EATDRINKRIDE... is the two pictures you posted of the same drop?? Like the top pic is looking up and the bottom pic is from the top of the trail? If so that's a nasty drop! The bottom pic makes it look pretty intimidating!

    -OP.. I agree to try different air pressure in the tires, it can make a huge difference in handling!
    The top picture is from a feature on National Trail at SoMo (Phoenix, AZ) and I believe the 2nd is from Portal Trail in Moab, UT. Having ridden both trails extensively I'm pretty confident in my assessment...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: castnblastut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    232

    Ask the Tribe

    You could post up over on the Yeti forum. Tribe was very helpful when I bought my 08'.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    576
    Could be size, Yeti site says Med. for 5'7" - 5'11

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster
    Hello Folks!
    This is my first post here, so sorry if the question has been raised previously...
    I'm the proud (?) owner of a 2010 575 Yeti, black ano. I used to ride a commi Meta 5, but decided last year to change for something lighter, with better material on it, and better climber. I went to my local shop, and choosed a 575, Small size (I'm 1.72m, 5'8''), since the Yeti frames are pretty long. I decided to put top of the line material on it, like Fox 32 Talas RLC 150 15QR fork, Mavic Xmax ST wheels, Truvativ Noir crankset, and so on...For a top and super light 575 (12kg with Joplin4 seatpost).
    After a lot of ride, and a lot of testing with different saddle position, stem lenght, bar height, all possible combination, I'm sorry to say that I'm totally disappointed with this bike: I always feel way too high on it, with a twitchy climb, and unstable downhill. I thought the suspensions where not that good, so I sent them for a tuning: the bike felt better, but still not as good as the Meta5. Everybody I asked before I bought it told me it was the ultimate trail/all mountain bike, but I'm really not sure... Ok, it's not that bad, very reactive uphill, and not that unstable, but it's far from the Meta 5 in the downhill, and pretty twitchy uphill.
    I tested a totally different bike to check my feel: a Specialized Epic Comp. XC bike, but better climber (sure, but even in very technical trails!?), and more stable (!!!!) than the Yeti (but slower) in downhill. How could it be possible ?!?
    Is the size too small? Is there someting wrong in the setup? Or is it the bike that is normally "unstable", and people like it? Or maybe I have to find a bike that suits me better?
    I have to say that I'm totally lost, and a little bit sad... If you have an advice, it could be helpfull...

    Thakns!
    Lower your seat,and buy a post with more set back,that may help
    Should have bought a trek fuel ex,its a awesome bike !!!

  25. #25
    Ride and Smile
    Reputation: axolotl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster
    Hello Folks!
    This is my first post here, so sorry if the question has been raised previously...
    I'm the proud (?) owner of a 2010 575 Yeti, black ano. I used to ride a commi Meta 5, but decided last year to change for something lighter, with better material on it, and better climber. I went to my local shop, and choosed a 575, Small size (I'm 1.72m, 5'8''), since the Yeti frames are pretty long. I decided to put top of the line material on it, like Fox 32 Talas RLC 150 15QR fork, Mavic Xmax ST wheels, Truvativ Noir crankset, and so on...For a top and super light 575 (12kg with Joplin4 seatpost).
    After a lot of ride, and a lot of testing with different saddle position, stem lenght, bar height, all possible combination, I'm sorry to say that I'm totally disappointed with this bike: I always feel way too high on it, with a twitchy climb, and unstable downhill. I thought the suspensions where not that good, so I sent them for a tuning: the bike felt better, but still not as good as the Meta5. Everybody I asked before I bought it told me it was the ultimate trail/all mountain bike, but I'm really not sure... Ok, it's not that bad, very reactive uphill, and not that unstable, but it's far from the Meta 5 in the downhill, and pretty twitchy uphill.
    I tested a totally different bike to check my feel: a Specialized Epic Comp. XC bike, but better climber (sure, but even in very technical trails!?), and more stable (!!!!) than the Yeti (but slower) in downhill. How could it be possible ?!?
    Is the size too small? Is there someting wrong in the setup? Or is it the bike that is normally "unstable", and people like it? Or maybe I have to find a bike that suits me better?
    I have to say that I'm totally lost, and a little bit sad... If you have an advice, it could be helpfull...

    Thakns!
    Sorry to hear. Sounds like learning the hard way. I have friends who love Yeti's. I would never ride one just cause of the feeling you describe "way too tall". There are not that many bikes that I know of that ride as well as a commencal. I love my spec enduro (more like the meta 6 but 13 kilos so not too different in mass). Why not the meta 5 carbon?
    good luck!!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,261
    suspension set-up aside did you like the Meta fit? If so, did you compare stack and reach on it to the Yeti? if it feels small to you then it is. I think on mtbs or any off road two wheeler it's more important how you fit standing than sitting on it cuz when you're really "riding" it in its enviroment you're standing and moving constantly. Like the other replies, it sounds like your comfort and confidence belongs on a medium..atleast on a 575.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    195
    For 5'8 you should be on a medium frame. To OP, why would you get a small frame and compensate it with a long stem, try a medium frame with 70mm stem and wide bar. Also, medium frame have a longer wheelbase and it will be MORE stable.

  28. #28
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster
    Thanks for the clarification.
    I have to say once again that this bike is not that much unstable, it was just my feeling (and maybe I have not enough words to explain it finely since it's not my mother language). For sure Eatdrinkride, your trail IS technical !
    So do you think that trying a 100 or 110 stem could solve my problem? And sorry if I follow(ed?) my lbs advice, it's just they are Yeti "specialists" where I live...
    Thanks again for the replies
    In my experience, it's unfortunately a rare store that you can really rely on for good sizing advice.

    I'm 5'9" and ride an older style 575 Medium (a tiny bit shorter than the current Mediums) and a 70mm stem. I could be just as happy on a newer Medium and a 60mm stem.

    I would not ride anything technical with a 100+mm stem. Recently injured myself pretty painfully on my XC bike with an 100mm stem- went OTB and I could tell that the long stem was a pretty major factor.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25
    I tried to find the "reach and stack" of both Meta5 and Yeti 575, but didn't find it. all the measures are pretty close, between the Commencal size M and Yeti size S. That's why for me it should have come from something else.
    I ride my saddle backward (I have long legs for my size, 32.7", or 83cm. Could it be the problem? Maybe with a good surgery...!), with an offset (from the Joplin seatpost).
    Anyway, I'll try very soon some good choice of stem: 90,100,110mm, with 0° or 6° angle (I can test it, so let's go!).
    The Meta5 carbon could be an option, but I'm sure that the 575 is a killer. The rear suspension feels really good (sorry to say: not as good as the Commencal, buuut...) and the climbing efficiency is really impressive, way far from everything all mountain I tested, even if I fill it twitchy now...
    Last edited by Hamster; 03-28-2011 at 11:58 AM.

  30. #30
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy
    The top picture is from a feature on National Trail at SoMo (Phoenix, AZ) and I believe the 2nd is from Portal Trail in Moab, UT. Having ridden both trails extensively I'm pretty confident in my assessment...

  31. #31
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,118
    There's nothing wrong with a 100 or 110 stem on your bike, your bike shop person is speaking in generalizations, and even with that in mind I don't fully agree. It is certainly worth trying. I would also drop your stem down to the lowest position in the headset stack you can and try it there. I also felt the front end of the 575 would wander a bit more than I liked, but lowering it should help a touch.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  32. #32
    Ride and Smile
    Reputation: axolotl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster
    I tried to find the "reach and stack" of both Meta5 and Yeti 575, but didn't find it. all the measures are pretty close, between the Commencal size M and Yeti size S. That's why for me it should have come from something else.
    I ride my saddle backward (I have long legs for my size, 32.7", or 83cm. Could it be the problem? Maybe with a good surgery...!), with an offset (from the Joplin seatpost).
    Anyway, I'll try very soon some good choice of stem: 90,100,110mm, with 0° or 6° angle (I can test it, so let's go!).
    The Meta5 carbon could be an option, but I'm sure that the 575 is a killer. The rear suspension feels really good (sorry to say: not as good as the Commencal, buuut...) and the climbing efficiency is really impressive, way far from everything all mountain I tested, even if I still feels techy problems...
    It may not be sizing that is the most influential factor. I'm 5'8" - 5'9" and size medium for most bikes. My meta 6 was a small. Commencal's have short TT's and the bike was very small and great fun. I rode it with a 50mm stem so it would handle well. As you get longer and longer on the stem, the bike will climb better and ride worse going at speed. The 575 is killer for some people. For me (and maybe for you as well), it sucks! (well by comparison anyway). But it sounds like you really want the yeti to work out - so I hope it does.
    Cheers
    I think going from a commencal to a yeti is a step down in ride quality.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    It may not be sizing that is the most influential factor. I'm 5'8" - 5'9" and size medium for most bikes. My meta 6 was a small. Commencal's have short TT's and the bike was very small and great fun. I rode it with a 50mm stem so it would handle well. As you get longer and longer on the stem, the bike will climb better and ride worse going at speed. The 575 is killer for some people. For me (and maybe for you as well), it sucks! (well by comparison anyway). But it sounds like you really want the yeti to work out - so I hope it does.
    Cheers
    I think going from a commencal to a yeti is a step down in ride quality.
    Yep, for sure I want the Yeti to work...! It's just that when you buy a (good, imo) frame, you want to try everything to make it work. As soon as you have tried everything, and nothing works for you, Ok you can say it sucks. But I'm not that far in my experimentation with the 575.
    What you say about Commencal and Yeti is pretty interesting, as it is exactly the opposite here in Europe. But I have to say I don't prefer one brand or the other, since my mtb is a Yeti, and my downhill bike a Supreme

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25
    Hello folks,
    after 200miles testing, I'm near something very good (and so, I have to be sorry about my previous feelings!): I have right now a 100mm Thomson stem, 0° angle, an Easton Haven bar, and the saddle has been move forward. As results: wayyyyyyyy better climber for me (in fact, very good), more stable in downhills, faster everywhere.
    So, I think I will keep this 575 at home, really!
    My only "final" problem is that I have a bit to much pressure on my hands, so after some miles, it can be painful. But with a shorter stem, it's not as good. What could I try?
    Thanks everybody!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Luigiugueto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,535
    Id say give a medium frame a test ride, preferably with similar components, see how she behaves and draw your own conclusions, that should help. I also think its too small a size for you..

  36. #36
    T.W.O
    Reputation: pfox90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,730
    That bike is sexy as hell, definitely isn't the bike. Based on the sizing charts and geo you should be on a medium. I'm 5'11 and I should still be on a medium. It looks like the small is just too small.

    If you look at ETT or measurement B on Yeti's website it says 22.8 for the small and 23.8 for a medium. Use this measurement to compare from your past bikes you thought were comfortable.

    ETT isn't an end all be all measurement but it is really good for cockpit spacing when buying a new bike and comparing it to your last. My friends are dumbasses and say I should be on a large when the ETT is like 24.5 just because I'm 5'11. So don't always look at the sizing charts, but in this case, Yeti's chart is pretty true to sizing.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    423
    anyone mention the possibility of a different bottom bracket height? Higher (if so) often feels unstable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •