mtbr member
    Apr 2009

S-Works Specialized Enduro - where and how much to pay.

I live in the Bay Area, California. We have 9% sales tax. I am thinking of purchasing a Specialized S-Works Enduro bike. Here are the offers I have:

1. Local bike shop: $8000 + tax. I get the Warranty and free basic maintenance.

2. Store from a State with no tax: $7800 + 120 shipping. Yes, they are willing to ship it to me. This goes against Specialized rules so I won't even mention the State or the store, but it is a legit Specialized dealer. I get the Warranty but not local free maintenance.

3. From someone that purchased the bike but never used it. $6900 plus shipping plus escrow fee. I would demand escrow for this transaction. I don't get warranty or maintenance. I do however get the receipt and hope that with it I may be able to get warranty.

Considering the importance of price, warranty, service, what do you guys think is the best deal? Please spare any comments about supporting LBS blah blah, or dangers of buying from some one unknown.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Re: S-Works Specialized Enduro - where and how much to pay.

#2. Get the warranty, save a little over $800 from option #1. That's what I'd do. If you don't have any special allegiance to your lbs, no reason to go there. You are still supporting a bike shop, just a shop willing to be a little more competitive with their prices. I'm assuming you know how to do your own maintenance considering the bike you are getting, although i do understand being short on free time to do it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So you don't think $6900 is attractive enough to forgo the warranty? The bike IS brand new. Never been used. How much lower would it have to be sold for befoire you consider it?