Thread: rp3 broken?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

rp3 broken?

hey guys, i just got my BMC superstroke finished and it is sweet, the only problem is the rp3 rear shock that came with it. it seems as though it has no plush, and the pro pedal doesnt even work. the blue switch on the rebound control is not doing anything and im sure there is air in it. i took it on the trail and nothing it feels the same through every setting on the switch. whats up?

mtbr member
    I got the same '06 BMC Superstroke with the Fox RP3AVA. I don't think it is broken, rather that's just the way it is. The RP3AVA came with very little propedal/low speed compression tuning from the factory. It's hard to discern the difference in propedal setting but I noticed later on that the bike pedals firmer when it's set at the stiffest setting. You are also right about the rebound setting as it only seems to work towards the last part of it's slowest setting. The RP3's window of tuning isn't as wide as that of the DHX 5 coil.
    If I were you I'd personally give it more tuning time. The AVA's effect is more evident than the other adjustments.

The only thing that concerns me is when you said that the shock wasn't plush. Mine was very plush and linear that is why I dialled in the AVA to 2/5 setting to make it feel more progressive.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

no plush

it has no plush what so ever. and none of the settings work. nothing work the only thing that works is the rebound dial

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illwill4real
    it has no plush what so ever. and none of the settings work. nothing work the only thing that works is the rebound dial
    apply some fork oil on the rp3's stanchion and it should reduce the sticktion. new rear shocks normally have a lot of sticktion and as the seals break in. ride time should reduce this. mine became noticeably plusher after around 8 hrs of ride time

mtbr member
    maybe you have too much air in it? Try playing with the air pressures until you get the feel you want...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

o yea

rode the heck out of it today, broke it in real nice, it works like magic, thanks

mtbr member
    nice to hear it's working for you