mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Roscoe First Ride Impressions

Took Dr. Roscoe out the on local trails for a nice leisurely ride. I havent ridden more then 3 times since November, so an hour was plently.
    I also rode full rigid 29er ss all last season so the segue was less then seamless.
    Dr. Roscoe reminds me of a big bmx bike on the trails which is just perfect as I am riding platform pedals, regular shoes and jeans.
    I set up all the suspension right in the middle for all the fancy blue and red dials.
    I went two clicks less on rebound damping the the fork after about 15 minutes and she seemed to track a little better.
    Rear end was very plush and climbed well, decents were effortless. a couple jumps at speed made me appreciate the very neutral ride position, i am about 6-1 and the 19" comes with a 90mm stem, I may put a 100mm on there.
    Honestly, it rode great, climbed great, a longer stem will make me feel better for climbs as I wanted to lean forward more, but this is an all mountain ride, it should do it all well. I think it did.
    The seat may have to go in favour of an anti ED seat, IE, Phenom or the like. I was also impressed with the bars that came on it. nice and wide with little sweep,
    The bonty xdx tires in 2.4 hooked up well, it was a little sloppy out there. I didnt 'test' the cornering prowess on the first ride, I will work into that, but they handled muddy climbs just fine, and once I learn how to use gears again and ride full squish, I am sure it (I) will get better.
    I want to ride an Enduro SL back to back to see which one I like most. I think I had the propedal off while riding, I forgot which way was which, but it went up the hills just fine.

The size of the tubes impressed me upon first glance, reminded me of a santa cruz bullit. Think I can really huck this thing if I want, or just chill and cruise too.
    I highly endorse this bike as a one bike for me ride everything kinda bike.
    here are some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    When I test-rode one of those the LBS got super pissed at me because I kept yelling "Enis, you dipstick!" when I rode it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth
    When I test-rode one of those the LBS got super pissed at me because I kept yelling "Enis, you dipstick!" when I rode it.

every time I came to a hill I was yellin', " sickem flash!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Coo coo coo.

mtbr member
    It's those damn Duke boys again...

Nice bike, how's the bike-specific suspension working out? supposed to be amazing..

mtbr member
    I have a Roscoe II. I am wondering what you had the shock set up psi wise? I am the same as you in height/weight and constantly bottom out the shock on medium drops. Currently at 20% sag.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I weigh about 220 and have the shock set up for 25% sag. seems I need more pressure then the manual states. I have got full travel a couple times, not many 'drops' around here, some at speed jumps so far, but I got full travel on some bigger roll in roller coaster type of roll ins.
    I have the propedal on level 3, and the rebound about 3 or 4 clicks from slow. on the front I have the propedal at 2 clicks from slow, and the rebound at about 4-6 clicks from slow. I have no idea how to set up the slow/high speed compression, I will mess with that the next ride. I rode for an hour today and on the rooty, little bit rocky, twisty singletrack the bike felt super dialed. I was actually in the big ring a bunch, not much climbing, just short pitches.
    I am running about 35# in the tires, going to drop down to 30 on the next ride and see just how far I can 'trust' the tires.
    loving this fine a$$ machine!!!!
    now if I can only get my legs backs.

wait...what?
    roscoes are pimp

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Roscoe 2 vs. Trek Fuel EX 9

I am looking hard at getting a Roscoe 2. I am also looking at the Treck Fuel EX 9. Any thoughts? I'm 5'11" and 180#. This is the top of my price range. I ride a lot of single track but would really love to ride some Free Ride/Challenge park type stuff even though I don't have anything noteworthy around me. With that said, a lot of single track with climbs hardly any drops, planning on Brown County Breakdown in Indiana this fall, 25-100mile ride. Problem is there isn't a Roscoe within 200 miles for me to get on. I do have some Treks available to try out so this is where I need some help!!