Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I think one distinction is the 5-spot feels pretty good with a fox 36 (or similar) fork, while the motolite geometry gets kinda whacked out.

It's not really a good area of comparison, since neither bike was really designed to run 160mm forks

But I think the difference is in the BB height and head angle. The 5-spot has a low BB, slap a 160mm fork on there and the bike becomes slack, but not too tall. The motolite has a taller BB and steeper angles, with a big fork it just ended up feeling tippy and nervous to me. I drink alot of coffee, that combined with the motolite and a tall fork, lets just say I rode off trail a few times.

I sold my ML for the same reasons you did. Some whisky in the coffee helps .

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    just some?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I am considering taking another approach. I may need to be on a bike that will collapse on a drop over two feet. It also needs to flex three inches to either side when taking ahard turn. That way, the flex and the collapse factor will make me ride safe and stick to 12" drops only.

By the way, that Endorphin is sweet and deserves the 36, knowing how tough that frame is to begin with. Knolly is another company that refines a solid design and build some fantastic bikes instead of playing around with fancy gibberish. However, I hear it is a very active design as well. You did very well in choosing that bike

Thanks Flyer.

I can't wait to see how the Endorphin goes with the Roco TST Air .

"El Whatever"
    Some whisky in the coffee helps .
    Agreed... That's why I have a nice flask of Scotch here in my desk's drawers...

Maybe that's why Col. Eddie replaced my arse at Titus.
    Check my Site

banned
    Nov 2007

This jewel dusts turners, motolites, and leaves Giants in a trance!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Would be interesting to compare the effects of whiskey vs. beer

The Endorphin is a great choice! I've had the pleasure of riding with Noel a few times and talking bikes, the guy can ride and he's super nice to boot. On top of all that, he's about the most knowledgable dude I've ever met when it comes to bikes. Stoked to see your new rig and hear you report...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Would be interesting to compare the effects of whiskey vs. beer

The Endorphin is a great choice! I've had the pleasure of riding with Noel a few times and talking bikes, the guy can ride and he's super nice to boot. On top of all that, he's about the most knowledgeable dude I've ever met when it comes to bikes. Stoked to see your new rig and hear you report...
    Thanks mate. I made the big long spreadsheets and comparisons of who knows how many bikes, but could not look past Knolly at the end of the day. I think the medium Endorphin geometry will fit me well. I had a fleeting moment where I thought I should have got a Delirium T, but ended up going with an Endorphin with a 36 Talas RC2 and Roco TST Air.

A single malt works best for high stakes nerves. Beer suites fast DH runs.

"El Whatever"
    Thanks mate. I made the big long spreadsheets and comparisons of who knows how many bikes, but could not look past Knolly at the end of the day. I think the medium Endorphin geometry will fit me well. I had a fleeting moment where I thought I should have got a Delirium T, but ended up going with an Endorphin with a 36 Talas RC2 and Roco TST Air.

A single malt works best for high stakes nerves. Beer suites fast DH runs.
    Dingo, what's that stuff in your avatar?
    Check my Site

Quote Originally Posted by Warp

Fo's intense DH tire on the scale

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Remember the heady days when Fo was building up his RFX (and rebuilding it) ?~?

And, he got an idea in his head that he needed 3lb 2-ply tyres on it ... and it came to fruition.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Fo's intense DH tire on the scale
    Fo counting grams???

How goes that line??? "Counting grams is sooo ghey"??
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Fo counting grams???

Who else would put 2-Ply tyres on a scale

Fo counting grams???

of course it is ghey..and that's why Fo weighed them to prove that he was an un-ghey non-weight weenie..... which worked exactly as a double negation does

ditto

"El Whatever"

Nobody's as ghey... I should have known better...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That was awesome. Fo only got that RFX because everyone else was buying one at cheap. I really like Fo, though probably not as much as tscheezy does.

Make some music
    Sep 2004

Comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    I tried a buddy 5 Spot today. A medium 06 with a DHX air, Vanilla fork, all kinds of light Shimano bling, Gravity Dropper, and big tires (2.4 enduro front and 2.35 Nevegal rear). Boy, was I impressed. That thing was plush! It handled the bumps really well (tires certainly helped quite a bit), jumped very nicely (all 5" off the ground that I was able to muster ) and ate up the rocks.

The geometry of the cockpit was really spot on and did not take any time getting used to. The part that impressed me the most was the climbing ability of the bike (again the tires helped). I'm used to dialing my Talas down on steep climbs on my Motolite, whereas on the Spot I was able to clear some nice techy steep climbs by simply moving my butt forward. While a Talas fork would have been nice, I was able to do without it. For a sit and spin guy like me, the bike is damn near perfect.

Compared to my Motolite, the bike was defnitely slower (I also use smaller tubeless tires) and it was not as efficient to stand up and mash. If I had to compare, I'd say that the Motolite is quicker and the Spot is plusher (we're talking subtle nuances here, and I ride a small Motolite with a 1.5" stroke RP23) and seems a better climber on the techy stuff.

As a disclaimer, this is just a very average rider's opinion.
    If may want to try the same tires on the Moto, not to mention the fork. What size was the Turner? Sounds like you're having fun and that's whats important.
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I really like Fo, though probably not as much as tscheezy does.
    I'm perfectly willing to make this a competitive thing.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I'm perfectly willing to make this a competitive thing.
    ok, can we add Blackie to the list ?~?

mtbr member
    And that's why I plan on keeping the Motolite as a 4" light bike for those climbing/racing days. The Spot would still be built with air shocks but will definitely be for the technical riding days.
    Time to drop the Mojo card: Instead of having 2 bikes you just need one. It is called a Mojo, it is designed to run either a 140 or a 160 fork (check out this thread for a Lyrik Mojo http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...92#post3688792, you can use a Fox 36 that is one of the forks endorsed by IBIS, or a Marz 55 or DT 150) and can be used as a great climbing/racing day bike or as serious AM just by switching the fork. Compared to my 5-spot there is simply no comparison, way faster and better climbing, great downhiller with absolute neutral riding

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    This review sounds pretty spot on to me. Of all the bikes I've ridden, the Moto is definitely no where near the plushest, which is odd since most of the other horst link bikes I've ridden have been pretty cushy. Especially my friends' Stumpjumper FSR. But The Moto just does its job despite that.

Paper or plastic?
    I'll add another review to this thread. I rode/demoed a 2008 Yeti 575 today at the local loop (Soquel Demo Forest). It had a bunch of XT-XTR parts, RP23 and a Float fork. The bike was nice and light, and rolled really well. I also really liked the cockpit with its short top tube and wide bars. However, I really did not like the rear suspension. It always felt too harsh and not sensitive to small bumps. Coming back to the parking lot, we checked the sag (about 25%) and took off some air pressure, but I still could not get that plush feeling. It's really too bad as otherwise, the bike felt really good (okay, I really hated the Yeti saddle, but that's a personal thing). Anyway, my take away is that the 575 is really a long legged XC bike. Not a bad bike by any means, but not the bike for me, especially not after riding a Spot.

On a separate note, I took the Ibis Mojo for a 2mns ride in the dirt parking lot, and that thing feld way plusher. Obviously, I would need more seat time to make a personal opinion, but it felt pretty good. It'd be nice to take it for a real spin, and see how it feels on the downhill. Anyway, next bike I want to demo is a Blur LT2 at Downieville this summer.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

I'll add another review to this thread. I rode/demoed a 2008 Yeti 575 today at the local loop (Soquel Demo Forest). It had a bunch of XT-XTR parts, RP23 and a Float fork. The bike was nice and light, and rolled really well. I also really liked the cockpit with its short top tube and wide bars. However, I really did not like the rear suspension. It always felt too harsh and not sensitive to small bumps. Coming back to the parking lot, we checked the sag (about 25%) and took off some air pressure, but I still could not get that plush feeling. It's really too bad as otherwise, the bike felt really good (okay, I really hated the Yeti saddle, but that's a personal thing). Anyway, my take away is that the 575 is really a long legged XC bike. Not a bad bike by any means, but not the bike for me, especially not after riding a Spot.

did the 575 feel harsh both with propedal on and off?

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    did the 575 feel harsh both with propedal on and off?
    Yep. I feel bad about my negative review since the Yeti folks were really nice. I'm sure that others with more experience on the bike will chime in with more complete reviews.

Paper or plastic?
    Couple more reviews:

In June I rode (mostly downhill) a Santa Cruz BLT2. It felt way too firm on the small stuff, but was very well balanced and took the big hits really well. It'd be perfect for somebody who wants a firm trail bike.

Today, I rode the Ibis Mojo (an SX model) for a few miles, going up a steep fireroad and going down a rocky single track. Gotta agree with everybody that the Mojo rides lighter than it is. On the buff parts, the bike feels like it's easy to pump and really carry the momentum well. On the rocky bits, it did not seem as stable, nothing bad, but I would say that it'd be a tad less stable than the Motolite or Spot. On the uphill techy bit ,that bike floats (very sweet). The Mojo seems like it's begging for a 150 fork on the downhill. Overall, tons of fun and a very plush ride.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2