mtbr member
    May 2010

Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC 70 vs Scott Ransom 30

Hey guys! I really need some help over here! I'm looking for change my Merida One-Five-O for some of these options:

Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC 70 2008, Sram X9, Fox Talas 36 R 2008, Avid juicy 7, Revolution hubs with mavic 819

Or

Scott Ransom 30 2007, Full Shimano XT, XT brakes, XT wheelset, Fox Talas 36 R 2009

Both bikes are used, but they look like new i must say. The price is the same u$s3000, I dont know if its expensive over there but that it's the price I can get here in Argentina.

I personally love the look of the RM but I tested the Scott and its damn stiff back there, its like a motorcycle, It really gives you a lot of confidence.

I do some heavy enduro trails with a lot of rocks usually and I don't care much about the weight..

Please let me know your opinions!

Thanks mates!

mtbr member
    Ransoms are great bikes right until the Equalizer shock goes. I've had two newly serviced shocks start leaking air and oil after less than 30 days. Each service is terribly expensive, I had to ship it to Switzerland since there isn't a Scott-certified mechanic where I live.

I gave up and got a Mojo SL. If I were you, stay away from Ransoms and any bike that has a custom-made shock.

ups and downs
    The Slayer SXC is a dead simple and reliable bike, they've had very few known issues for reliability. They pedal well for a big bike. About the worst that happens is creaky pivots when the grease on the pivot axles dries out, and they had a batch of pivot axles that snapped the heads when tightened to spec but that would have made itself known by now on a 2008 model bike.

They do benefit from having the RP3 or RP23 shock Push'd
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the answers! I would like to add that the ransom is from a friend, and never had any problem with the equalizer, we really dont ride a lot, maybe two weekends per month.. but, yes, I read a lot of problems from that shock, and I'm little worried about Scott's warranty over here..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i have ran a ransom hard for a couple of years. I have broken frames and shocks and they have all been taken care of. but there isn't a bike that i have owned that i didn't break frames and shocks. The ransom is a great burly bike that is a little heavy pedaling up hill but i do big rides all the time. 6-7 hour style. The ransom also works at the ski resorts.
    don't discount it.

Perpetual Hack
    +1 on rockyuphill.

I have ( my son rides it ) a 2006 Slayer 50. This is the model before the SXC but still has the same LC2R suspension. I had the RP3 Pushed and it made a big difference. Especially for me as I am 210, and my 16yr onld son is 190.
    Just keep the pivots lubed and you are good for years.

As well the 819's are pretty much bullet-proof. The work awsome with the new Schwalbe TLR tires ( Hans Dampf ) I use these as a trail wheelset on my Knolly.

michael

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thank you guys for the answers! Finally I ended up with the Ransom, as I said, it was from a friend of mine so I could bought in a couple of installments, and that was decisive..

I'm aware of the problems of the equalizer shock, but if it brokes we'll find the way to fix it! simple as that :P

Today I tested in a very very rocky trail, and its just amazing the confidence that gives me this frame. I went down with a smile from ear to ear

Cheers!