mtbr member

Rockshox Sektor Coil or Air?

Hey guys,

I'm about to build up an On One Evo2, and I think I've narrowed the fork down to the Sektor. Now I have to choose between coil or air.

I like the way the plushness of a coil for sounds, but being 200+ gear, I would need a new spring (firm, extra firm?) and I could see that becoming something of a hassle. Set it and forget it is nice, but I don't love the idea of being locked into one spring rate. I do like the dual position 120/150 thing because some of my climbs are pretty steep and at 1x9, any advantage is welcome.

On the other hand, the air fork is way easier to set up and I can play with the settings to get to something that I'm totally stoked on. I'm leaning towards air for that reason, plus I like the ability to throw in a better damper.

So, your guys and gals' thoughts? Thanks!

usually cranky
    i would vote air for all the reasons you stated. plus imo it is just more versitile than coil in regards to adjustability. i have an air rev (pretty similar to a sektor) and it is pretty plush. not quite on the level of my old coil 55 but i dont find myself wanting to go back to it.

mtbr member
    To be the devils advocate I would chose a coil shock. Air is nice but unless you buy the really high end stuff it really is not worth it for one main reason-Durability. Coils in general never really wear out where as even some of the best air shocks have seal issues that can be costly to repair. Coils offer durability and are generally have the capacity for more technical trails and styles of riding such as downhill. Go coils! Hope this helped happy riding!
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have an air sektor and it has been very versatile and plush. I do find myself taking advantage of adjusting the air pressures quite often pending which trail I am on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm building the exact same frame as you and had to make the exact same choice. It was a hard one because I love the feeling of coil sprung forks (my gravity enduro race bike runs a Marz 55 coil fork and I love it). But, I went for the air because I know from bitter experience that getting the spring rate right with coil is a hit and miss affair. If I knew I could get the right spring weight - I'd go could for reliability and above all else 'feel'. Under the circumstances and at your weight - go air.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses! Sounds like going with air is the best route

mtbr member
    I have a Sektor RL coil fork. I have no issues with it and I have ridden it hard for a while. I weigh 155 pounds though, so the springs are fine. However, the only reason I didn't buy the air fork is because I got my coil on close out sale, brand new for $150. I couldn't pass up that ridiculous discount.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I came from a worn out Fox, so anything would be better, but I really like my coil sektor. It was originally a dpc. I bought an extra light dpc spring. I weigh 150lbs before gear and the sag went from about 10% to 27% if I remember correctly. Search and you can find some other threads where we discussed different springs and sag. I liked the change to the lighter spring. However, my trails involve a lot of changing up/down. Only really cared to change the position of the fork every now and then, since shifting and changing seat height get more attention from me. Because of this I wanted a happy medium for my 08 trance x. I bought an extra light uturn spring and 135mm seems to work well for me. I don't notice a huge change in the ride with wildly varying rebound settings, but I definitely need enough compression damping to control the ride, especially uphill to avoid bobbing. 2-3 clicks out from locked works best for me. Still learning how to best set it up, and really enjoy seeing how different setups change the ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't know...if you think changing coils is a hassle, do you really see yourself messing with different damper cartridges? Plus, springs are like $20 and take five minutes to swap out, so finding one you like (or even a couple for varied conditions) is really not that big of an investment. Plus, coils just feel so nice!

Regarding travel adjust, I'm pretty sure there is a Sektor U-Turn coil out there if you really need it. I recently went from a travel adjust air fork to a fixed coil fork and don't see myself ever looking back. It just feels so much nicer, and I'm about your size. The stock medium spring was fine, if a little divey mid stroke. The firm I replaced it with is perfect.

mtbr member
    You will lose a small amount of suppleness with the air, but changing air to dial in preload is quick and easy. Changing coils is not hard. The last single crown fork coil fork I had a few years back was a manitou and the coil selection was horrible, I replaced it because I couldn't dial it in. I'm sure rockshox doesn't have that problem, so only you can decide.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference