mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Upset rockshox reverb totally stuck!

I have just bought two Reverbs, a 30.9 for a Yeti (which works totally fine) and a 31.6 for a Cannondale Rize.

The 31.6 post got immediately stuck in the lowest position, as soon as I installed it. If if try to pull it up, it feels like there is underpressure inside the post, and it will elastically return to the lowest position as soon as I relieve the pull. Also the remote is stuck down and will not come up again.

What the hell might be going on? Is this something likely to go away with a bleed? I haven't attempted to bleed it yet.

mtbr member
    This post is of great value! (face palm)

Do you typically rant on things w/o any diagnostics?

So here's the first think I'd look at: was the seatpost clamp too tight?
    And, not bleeding the thing is like not hooking up a cable to one of the other brands and complaining your remote doesn't work.

Disclaimer: I've had my share of Reverb issues as many others on the Reverb thread.

Edit: so what of the 30.9 post?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    sorry for ranting, Pau11y - I didn't mean to be rude. I appreciate your super-fast response. Lemme go down to the garage and loosen the seatpost clamp. If that does the job, I will treat you to a beer!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    mine has worked flawlessly for 3 months

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    I have just bought two Reverbs, a 30.9 for a Yeti (which works totally fine) and a 31.6 for a Cannondale Rize.

The 31.6 post got immediately stuck in the lowest position, as soon as I installed it. If if try to pull it up, it feels like there is underpressure inside the post, and it will elastically return to the lowest position as soon as I relieve the pull. Also the remote is stuck down and will not come up again.

What the hell might be going on? Is this something likely to go away with a bleed? I haven't attempted to bleed it yet.
    Just guessing from your symptoms, but here's my thought. You might have a bad air seal and you should send it back or exchange it if you're still in your 30 days or whatever. If you check the pressure at your shock pump and it's low, but can't get it up to the recommended pressure without it dropping, then there's your issue. If you're not in your exchange/return window, you'll have to send it back to SRAM for warranty.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    sorry for ranting, Pau11y - I didn't mean to be rude. I appreciate your super-fast response. Lemme go down to the garage and loosen the seatpost clamp. If that does the job, I will treat you to a beer!
    Well, I apologize in kind...for being a smart-ass
    Whatever I said...if you got a lemon, it does suck. But, w/o some checking, no way to tell.

The other think I did when I had my issues was undoing the collar and slapping some fork suspension grease on the stanchion, below the dust seal. It made HUGE difference!

Oh, and w/ these posts, use carbon grip compound and a torque wrench. I can see the bushing of these posts not liking over-torqued post clamp.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Hey Baeck, was it you who wished the extension was 100mm, along w/ Polymathic? Well, I found a guy on ebay who was selling them for a touch over $two fiddy. It's physically shorter..355mm.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    well, I put the bike on the stand and took a look at what's going on. There may be possibly two problems, but one of them is blatant (and I feel a bit silly that I didn't see it in the first place). The seatpost-side barb is broken at its neck! It probably happened because the spare-tube bag was too tight, hence when I lowered the seat it just decapitated the barb.

So, my nex question is: where can I find a replacement barb? I read in another post by Pau11y that the "Goodridge Hose Connector M6 Elixir Specific" does the job. Do I need to buy a steel collar for it as well? At ChainReactionCycles these guys do not appear to include any steel collar - would I then miss a part?

many thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    well, I put the bike on the stand and took a look at what's going on. There may be possibly two problems, but one of them is blatant (and I feel a bit silly that I didn't see it in the first place). The seatpost-side barb is broken at its neck! It probably happened because the spare-tube bag was too tight, hence when I lowered the seat it just decapitated the barb.

So, my nex question is: where can I find a replacement barb? I read in another post by Pau11y that the "Goodridge Hose Connector M6 Elixir Specific" does the job. Do I need to buy a steel collar for it as well? At ChainReactionCycles these guys do not appear to include any steel collar - would I then miss a part?

many thanks

Adriano

Yeah check Pau11y's other post and my pics with the Goodridge barb and collar the M6 does the trick but grab a collar. I looked all over for the Rockshox one and they are scarce if you can find. Goodridge is good gear. Also you should bleed the post before heading out some have gotten away with it, most have not. It takes all of 10 min.

Wayne

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks wayne. But where can I get the collar? My best bet is chain reaction cycles, but there is no mention of any collar on their site. I guess that without collars I cannot secure the hose...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think I found the collar. Is it http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/I.../120/20453.Jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yup that is it

Goodridge Collar | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

One would thing a LBS would have one in the US, not here in Canada though

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I happen to live in Switzerland, which complicates the issue. All cycling stuff here is more than twice as expensive (somethimes >3x as expensive) as anywhere else.

Hence I buy everything from abroad. Customs is just 8% - however, all carriers to Switzerland (Fedex, UPS, Swiss Post, anything) all charge at least 35$ for "customs clearance" (whatever that is supposed to be). This is shameless, but there nothing I can do about it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I managed to mount the Goodridge barb, and the Reverb is now functional. What did not work (but is a minor gripe) was to install the Goodridge collar. The bore of the collar is too small - or the hose is too thick. This leaves me with a somewhat unstable contraption. I hope it will hold for the rest of the season...

mtbr member
    Re-bleed it. Mine was pretty slow, even on the fastest setting when I got. However, after a bleed it was super fast. Most say they don't do good bleeds at the factory.