RockShox Reverb Thread

Printable View

• 08-17-2011
    Pau11y
    Hum...
    Need to send 1 of my 2 back. Leaking the remote hydro fluid out of the top of the post...under the seat rail clamps. I thought it was the Goodridge hose as I kept loosing rise speed a few days after a bleed. But, pull the saddle off and there was a pool of 2wt under the lower rail clamp.
  • 08-20-2011
    wizard604
    The new seat barb (2012) with metal strain relief collar is now available in Canada (probably US as well). My original barb got accidentally broken on the repair stand & the shop replaced it with the newer barb. The metal collar screws onto the barb & protects the tip so it's not as easy to break. The old plastic strain relief really offer no protection at all.
  • 08-20-2011
    special red
    been riding my reverb since winter. never broke a barb or remote (despite some bad crashes), bled twice and it works perfectly for me.
  • 08-21-2011
    Hydesg
    i have a reverb that i bought in nov last year.
    it keeps losing speed every 2 weeks and i have to add droplets of oil into the pusher.

is it due to the hose expanding?
  • 08-21-2011
    rscecil007
    Got mine back from SRAM, just under 2 weeks total turnaround time from sending it off, repairs, and back. It has the new barbs and line, and was working flawlessly on the short ride I had it on today.

It's still slipping in the seat tube though. Luckily I only have it raised about 1/2" or so out, so if it falls a bit it's not hugely detrimental. I did use some type of Ritchey friction paste instead of grease.

I've got the collar tight as it can be, any tighter and the movement of the post is affected. Anyone have a good solution here? More friction paste? Just deal with it? It's on a hardtail BTW.
  • 08-21-2011
    wizard604
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydesg View Post
    i have a reverb that i bought in nov last year.
    it keeps losing speed every 2 weeks and i have to add droplets of oil into the pusher.

is it due to the hose expanding?

You have the old hose which may be losing fluid. I'd contact Sram & see if you can get a warranty replacement hose kit, which comes with new heavier hose. I believe the warranty is 2yrs
  • 08-22-2011
    kibbs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Got mine back from SRAM, just under 2 weeks total turnaround time from sending it off, repairs, and back. It has the new barbs and line, and was working flawlessly on the short ride I had it on today.

It's still slipping in the seat tube though. Luckily I only have it raised about 1/2" or so out, so if it falls a bit it's not hugely detrimental. I did use some type of Ritchey friction paste instead of grease.

I've got the collar tight as it can be, any tighter and the movement of the post is affected. Anyone have a good solution here? More friction paste? Just deal with it? It's on a hardtail BTW.

Try Tacx it is a carbon assy friction paste and works well when putting parts together were you do no want to apply max force to hold. It also gives you lube to insure things do not seize. It does sound like your seat tube is slightly oversized though perhaps you need a shim.
  • 08-22-2011
    rscecil007
    No, seat tube is good, a Thomson post is fairly snug in there, as is the Reverb.

I'll try to get some Tacx.
  • 08-22-2011
    Hydesg
    question.

are you guys able to pull up your seat with your hands and without depressing the remote ?
    I am not sure if this is a sign that the seatpost is starting to become problematic.
    i am able to pull up my seat (in lowered mode) up with my hand without depressing the remote.
    It is able to return back to the lowered position given that there is air inside sucking it back down.
  • 08-22-2011
    Pau11y
    Quote:

question.

are you guys able to pull up your seat with your hands and without depressing the remote ?
    I am not sure if this is a sign that the seatpost is starting to become problematic.
    i am able to pull up my seat (in lowered mode) up with my hand without depressing the remote.
    It is able to return back to the lowered position given that there is air inside sucking it back down.

Other than mech posts, they all do that.
    On my good Reverb, I can pick up my bike's ass-end w/ the lowered saddle and not cause extension. I'd have to actively keep the bike from leaving the ground when I pull on the saddle to cause mine to extend w/o using the remote.
  • 08-22-2011
    attaboy
    Quote:

question.

In my experience, this IS the beginning of seal failure. You may want to check internal pressure; if it's going bad will likely happen soon.
  • 08-22-2011
    schulzeee
    Quote:

question.

The day my reverb failed it was shortly after I lifted up on the lowered seat and it came quite easily and went back down when released. Minutes later it failed.
    BTW 3 weeks and counting for return from warranty repair while they wait for parts to replace the entire 'upper assembly'.
  • 08-23-2011
    ratty2k
    Had my Reverb for a while, but with stolen bikes and insurance claims I haven't ridden it properly. But after just 4 rides its failed. Riding along and it just started to lower on its own. Can push it down without the remote, and it comes up slowly on its own...
    Back to the shop this weekend with it and see what they say.
  • 08-23-2011
    ratpick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ratty2k View Post
    Had my Reverb for a while, but with stolen bikes and insurance claims I haven't ridden it properly. But after just 4 rides its failed. Riding along and it just started to lower on its own. Can push it down without the remote, and it comes up slowly on its own...
    Back to the shop this weekend with it and see what they say.

That sounds like you need to bleed the remote - if you never did that when you first got it, it's even more likely the problem. The procedure is up in this thread somewhere (or on SRAM's service website).

Edit: I might have misread your note.. if it is coming back up slowly without touching the remote, that's possibly something else
  • 08-24-2011
    ratty2k
    I got it at a good price, but with no bleed kit (it was on display in the shop on a test bike) So, going to ride the HT this weekend and on the way home call into the shop with it. They'll bleed it for me there and then, and if it still wont work.... Well, either a refund or replace as my KSi950 has been flawless...(on the HT)
  • 08-27-2011
    The_Missile
    How to Rebuild and refill with fluid
    Mine stopped working too, would not hold air.....finally disassembled.

the INNER collar had backed off creating the air leak - NOT a blown seal.
    As I was inspecting (I undid the collar) a bunch of fluid rushed out.

The only thing stopping me now is knowing exactly how much fluid to put back in, and where to fill it ?? Anyboday know - this is not part of the normal bleed or service.
  • 08-28-2011
    beefmagic
    Picked one up a couple of months ago. Had to bleed it right out of the box to get it working. It's been bled three times since then. Seems like every 2-3 weeks it starts moving real slow or not at all.

Like others have said, when it works, it works great. Seems like there are too many people having issues for SRAM to not issue a recall on this.
  • 08-29-2011
    jschwart73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Missile View Post
    Mine stopped working too, would not hold air.....finally disassembled.

the INNER collar had backed off creating the air leak - NOT a blown seal.
    As I was inspecting (I undid the collar) a bunch of fluid rushed out.

The only thing stopping me now is knowing exactly how much fluid to put back in, and where to fill it ?? Anyboday know - this is not part of the normal bleed or service.

That's exactly how mine failed and what you're trying to do is reset the IFP depth and put in the right amount of fluid. I got mine re-set, but I took a guess and I think I was a little off (more on that in a second.)

I pulled the center hollow shaft out, then carefully pulled the IFP disc up to about halfway up the inner chamber. I filled that to the top of the IFP disc with 2.5wt suspension fluid, then put the center hollow shaft back and filled it to the top. Then, I put it all back together. When I inflated the air chamber, it pulled things together a little too quickly, which to me means I got the fluid level wrong.

SRAM would NOT tell my shop what the IFP depth and/or the amount of fluid is supposed to be in there. They will, however, warranty the post. So that's nice.

I'm half tempted to take apart the new one that's on the way for me and measure the IFP depth and/or the fluid level, but then again, do I really want to take a chance of screwing up a brand new post that SRAM swapped out on warranty?

Since this isn't a safety issue, I wouldn't expect them to issue a recall, but I would expect them to honor a majority of warranty claims without any major issues.

I still love the post and mine is working quite well even with the wild a$$ guess at fluid level I took.
  • 08-30-2011
    Man, I really want one of these but with all the issues folks are having its just too problematic right now.
  • 08-30-2011
    mountaindavis
    I have broken a barb on mine, and I have had to bleed it (although less often than I have bled my brakes) and I have ridden mine pretty consistently and hard since November 2010. I just got back from Cortez/Durango/Crested Butte on a 10 day road trip and put the seatpost through pretty extensive abuse. Mine is still going very strong. Mine has not been rebuilt or touched other than the bleeds/hose replacements. I do have a little play and I have been extremely worried about failure on big rides, but so far, so GREAT. Love it. I am probably going to replace the seals soon (Reverb seatpost seal service - YouTube ) as part of ongoing maintenance. I would not hesitate to recommend one of these posts, even given some of the failures, as the one day that rode on a standard post I realized how much I use the Reverb and how it truly adds to my safety and enjoyment in riding.
  • 08-30-2011
    Penny
    I finally decided to try out the Reverb. I found one that has been rebuilt with 2012 parts. I'm thinking I will carry a regular seatpost in my pack on big rides just in case. Wish me luck.....
  • 08-30-2011
    polymathic
    I preordered my Reverb when it first came, and I have been riding it since November 2010. I've put 2,000 miles on the post, and use it all the time in all weather conditions. I still have the original thin hose, though SRAM sent me a replacement kit with the burlier new hose. I've only bled it when I first installed it (didn't work out of the box), and once after shortening the hose. I've had no issues whatsoever. It works like on the first day. So far so good.

When making such a purchase and reading forums, it's important to remember that most people with perfectly functioning posts have no reason to follow a thread like this, or go online to report it's working fine. They just happily use the post. Those with failing posts are the most likely ones to do a search online, find such a thread, and report yet another failure. I'm saying that you can be sure that the failure rate is much lower than what you read online, as the data is skewed towards failing posts. Still, everyone should expect their posts to work perfectly for at least one year!
  • 08-31-2011
    The_Missile
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jschwart73 View Post
    That's exactly how mine failed and what you're trying to do is reset the IFP depth and put in the right amount of fluid. I got mine re-set, but I took a guess and I think I was a little off (more on that in a second.)

I pulled the center hollow shaft out, then carefully pulled the IFP disc up to about halfway up the inner chamber. I filled that to the top of the IFP disc with 2.5wt suspension fluid, then put the center hollow shaft back and filled it to the top. Then, I put it all back together. When I inflated the air chamber, it pulled things together a little too quickly, which to me means I got the fluid level wrong.

SRAM would NOT tell my shop what the IFP depth and/or the amount of fluid is supposed to be in there. They will, however, warranty the post. So that's nice.

I'm half tempted to take apart the new one that's on the way for me and measure the IFP depth and/or the fluid level, but then again, do I really want to take a chance of screwing up a brand new post that SRAM swapped out on warranty?

Since this isn't a safety issue, I wouldn't expect them to issue a recall, but I would expect them to honor a majority of warranty claims without any major issues.

I still love the post and mine is working quite well even with the wild a$$ guess at fluid level I took.

AWESOME - many thanks. Just to be clear: the IFP is an internal floating (moveable) piston ? so..

1) I need to pull this IFP 'ring' up to half way ish
    2) Fill up the cylinder to this level with 2.5 wt
    3) insert the hollow tube. FIll the hollow tube only (this is where I am unsure)
    4) Insert the air piston/shaft just a little bit so I can engage the threads of the internal collar
    5) Re-assemble the rest appropriately.
    6) Fill with 250 psi air.

If its as easy as that....I'm well happy.

Did you use lock tite on the internal collar to stop the darn thing un-doing itself ?
  • 08-31-2011
    jschwart73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Missile View Post
    AWESOME - many thanks. Just to be clear: the IFP is an internal floating (moveable) piston ? so..

1) I need to pull this IFP 'ring' up to half way ish
    2) Fill up the cylinder to this level with 2.5 wt
    3) insert the hollow tube. FIll the hollow tube only (this is where I am unsure)
    4) Insert the air piston/shaft just a little bit so I can engage the threads of the internal collar
    5) Re-assemble the rest appropriately.
    6) Fill with 250 psi air.

If its as easy as that....I'm well happy.

Did you use lock tite on the internal collar to stop the darn thing un-doing itself ?

YMMV, but that worked for me. I'm just a dumb dumb in his garage that didn't want to wait for my new one to get here from SRAM. The fluid level isn't not quite right and took some guesswork on my part. You're getting into above average mechanical work, it's not simple. The one thing I do know is that it's critical for the fluid to contain no air and the air to contain no fluid...

I didn't Loctite the inner seal head because I didn't want to make it difficult to take apart if I needed to change the fluid level again, my maintenance plan just includes checking it every once in a while.

Pure speculation on my part, but I suspect it simply wasn't torqued to spec from the factory OR the torque spec is wrong.

I agree with the above post that you're really not going to hear from those that this post works well for and the impression that the Reverb is a poor product is blown way out of proportion. Even with the issues I've had, it's by FAR the best adjustable seatpost I've used and I don't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
  • 08-31-2011
    Psycho Marco
    Hey guys, anyone with experience on the Joplin from Crank Brothers?
    I was looking into the Reverb but after reading this thread Iīm looking elsewhere.
    Does anyone knows if the newest version (the ones in stock in LBSīs right now) have the issues fixed?

Regards