Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    If you order from Universal, make sure to buy something small to bump your order over $300 and use code VIP15 to get 15% off orders of 300 or more. That bumps the Reverb price down to less than $260.
    Do some searching for a lower price and see if they will price match. Sometimes they only give a little off, but that's still something. Get some brake pads or gels to put you just above the $300 mark. When I got my crankset from them, I got a price match ($10 less), 15 % off, and free shipping
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Maybe look into this product

If your looking for a height adjust seatpost with some suspension, you may want to look into this product.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=31051

Can't be too high-tech for under $50 bucks but probably cheaper then having to have your new Reverb rebuilt because you couldn't frankenstein it.

As far as trying to modify a Reverb, the squish you'd probably be able to create wouldn't be able to actually hold you up but be more of an annoyance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feeding your addiction
    QBP got them in yesterday and sold out within a few hours, I managed to grab 7 before they were gone though. Have a couple that aren't spoken for if anyone is looking. I think they're getting more into their other warehouse this week also.

Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    QBP got them in yesterday and sold out within a few hours, I managed to grab 7 before they were gone though. Have a couple that aren't spoken for if anyone is looking. I think they're getting more into their other warehouse this week also.

Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    Good news!
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sessionrider
    I am very interested in getting a reverb to replace the joplin 4 post I am currently running. The newer joplin has been working well so far but the reverb has so many significant performance advantages that I am looking to make the switch soon. The only thing holding me back at this point is the remote switch. Seems that only right hand remotes are shipping and that a left mount may end up being an aftermarket add on anyway? Also, people are running their RH switches upside down on the left side so the lever doesn't stick up so much. I want to run the remote on the left and it seems that this might be the way to go. Are people running them this way happy with the setup?
    That's how I have been running mine over the past few weeks and wouldn't run it any other way. I did have to file down some material on top of the shifter pod to make it flat so the remote could slide all the way in under the bar and over the shifter pod to make the remote clamp as outboard as possible (flush against shifter clamp). Works like a dream like this and this is how I have always ran my remotes (right side remotes inverted and ran on the left under the bars) so the remote is more inline with my front der. shifter and intuitive like shifting gears.
    Last edited by jgusta; 11-06-2010 at 01:06 PM.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I got mine installed last night the travel is about perfect, it is completely in the frame for my full extension so I would need a shorter frame to have anything more.

Line was easy to cut, sure would have been nice if sram gave any real directions with it.

Still need some fine tuning of the line routing, might work that out tonight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Except this post doesn't click to confirm adjusting like my beloved 4" GD post did and is much slower. I needed at least a 5" adj. post so went with the Reverb. Knowing what I know now, I should of probably just got the 5" classic GD post in a 31.6mm direct from GD.
    If your post is slow, please see the BMJ's instructions in the 1st post for a remedy. Have you tried those steps? It's actually a very simple fix. The post is much faster (more than fast enough for me) once these steps are performed.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvo1
    I got mine installed last night the travel is about perfect, it is completely in the frame for my full extension so I would need a shorter frame to have anything more.

Line was easy to cut, sure would have been nice if sram gave any real directions with it.

Still need some fine tuning of the line routing, might work that out tonight.
    Yeah, that's why I created this thread and posted those instructions. Some good detective work by some of our forum members unearthed them on the RockShox website (it's the same hydraulic remote as some of the higher end forks). They really need those in the box. Not sure how they dropped the ball on something so obvious.

Ah well, at least it is even easier than shortening a hydraulic brake line. It really was super simple, and I like that there were no barbs/olives to worry about buying/finding/dropping/losing/getting eaten by dogs.

I'm glad my frame came with the cable routing for the adjustable seatpost. I like that more manufacturers are starting to do this standard and even spec adjustable seatposts on some bikes. I can't wait till they start speccing Reverbs on complete bikes instead of Joplins. I think every modern frame needs the seatpost cable routing now. I really think you'll see more and more (except with the weight weenie crowd) now that the adjustable seatpost has gone through most of its growing pains. A post like the Reverb is exactly what I've been looking for and why I've waiting to jump on the bandwagon until now.

Nice 25th anniversary 575 BTW.
    What pedals are those? They look super thin. Those teal pedals and chainring look pretty awesome on that build. Nice work.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 10-29-2010 at 09:00 AM.
    LMB

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Yeah, that's why I created this thread and posted those instructions. Some good detective work by some of our forum members unearthed them on the RockShox website (it's the same hydraulic remote as some of the higher end forks). They really need those in the box. Not sure how they dropped the ball on something so obvious.

Ah well, at least it is even easier than shortening a hydraulic brake line. It really was super simple, and I like that there were no barbs/olives to worry about buying/finding/dropping/losing/getting eaten by dogs.

I'm glad my frame came with the cable routing for the adjustable seatpost. I like that more manufacturers are starting to do this standard and even spec adjustable seatposts on some bikes. I can't wait till they start speccing Reverbs on complete bikes instead of Joplins. I think every modern frame needs the seatpost cable routing now. I really think you'll see more and more (except with the weight weenie crowd) now that the adjustable seatpost has gone through most of its growing pains. A post like the Reverb is exactly what I've been looking for and why I've waiting to jump on the bandwagon until now.

Nice 25th anniversary 575 BTW.
    What pedals are those? They look super thin. Those teal pedals and chainring look pretty awesome on that build. Nice work.
    Cannondale Jekyll one and ultimate have them standard. I'm not sure you can get either one of them yet as they are 2011 models. I'm not a fan of those CB wheels, but the adj seatpost is nice
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

switchback sculptor
    I'm lovin my new reverb, especially how it doesn't punch me in the grundle like my gravity dropper did.
    I was stoked that bleeding ,cutting line, and installing went breezy.
    So... how would I go about regreasing my reverb?
    Which grease would go where?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Using a Bike Stand with a Reverb

I haven't wanted to clamp to the telescoping part of the seat post; When I need to put the bike on a stand I push the seatpost all the way down and then raise the stem to the minimum insertion point and clamp to it. Otherwise, to do a quick drive train check, I'll suspend the bike on the stand by the seat.

Otherwise, I've been leaning my bike against everything; and had it fall over a couple of times while I was messing with it (e.g, putting air in the tires).

This morning, I figured out a better way, which will allow me to do some of the maintenance on the bike without clamping by the seat post;

Hold it by the handlebar... Just leave the tires in contact with the ground and it's actually quite stable.

Edited in response to BaeckerX1 (below); Link to a better picture of work space: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1309/...c5cce39e_b.jpg

Last edited by MarkHL; 11-01-2010 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice workspace MarkHL. I'm jealous.
    LMB

Italian biker
    Jan 2007
    Does anyone come from a KS950r? I'am looking into one of this two.

Thx

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Am i missing something with regards to the speed dial adjustment? If i turn to full slow, or even close to it, the post will not go down. If i put the post down (by keeping it at full fast initially), then dial in to full slow it will not return. It will start to make it ways back up if i hold the button as i dial back to fast.
    What gives?
    Given what i have experienced it seem to render the dial pretty much useless.
    My post originally had air in the system and had to be bled (was sent to SRAM although had i k own this was what was going on i would done it myself) and i was hoping that wopuld fix this.
    On a side note...Anyone have a RIGHT (drive) side lever they would want to trade for my left side?
    I am no longer running a front der and would like to mount the lever upside down near my left grip.

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkHL
    I haven't wanted to clamp to the telescoping part of the seat post; When I need to put the bike on a stand I push the seatpost all the way down and then raise the stem to the minimum insertion point and clamp to it. Otherwise, to do a quick drive train check, I'll suspend the bike on the stand by the seat.

Otherwise, I've been leaning my bike against everything; and had it fall over a couple of times while I was messing with it (e.g, putting air in the tires).

This morning, I figured out a better way, which will allow me to do some of the maintenance on the bike without clamping by the seat post;

Hold it by the handlebar... Just leave the tires in contact with the ground and it's actually quite stable.

Since I put my KSi950r on my bike. I turned the head of my stand and clamp on to the top tube.

I'm new at this so is clamping the TT a bad idea for some reason.
    I have a Trance X and soon a Giant Glory will be in mine as well.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill
    Since I put my KSi950r on my bike. I turned the head of my stand and clamp on to the top tube.

I'm new at this so is clamping the TT a bad idea for some reason.
    I have a Trance X and soon a Giant Glory will be in mine as well.
    It's not a good idea to clamp the TT. Most manufactures would only recommend seat post clamping.
    Last edited by mimi1885; 10-31-2010 at 02:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cskolnick
    Am i missing something with regards to the speed dial adjustment? If i turn to full slow, or even close to it, the post will not go down. If i put the post down (by keeping it at full fast initially), then dial in to full slow it will not return. It will start to make it ways back up if i hold the button as i dial back to fast.
    What gives?
    Given what i have experienced it seem to render the dial pretty much useless.
    My post originally had air in the system and had to be bled (was sent to SRAM although had i k own this was what was going on i would done it myself) and i was hoping that wopuld fix this.
    On a side note...Anyone have a RIGHT (drive) side lever they would want to trade for my left side?
    I am no longer running a front der and would like to mount the lever upside down near my left grip.
    Did you read the first post in the thread? Turn your remote all the way to full slow, top it off with oil with the included syringe. That should speed things up. Full slow though is always going to be PAINFULLY slow, but it should still move. Mine was super slow out of the box, until I shortened my line.

I really think they need to put it in the manual that you need to bleed it on the full slow setting to get a usable post. BMJ saved me the trial and error on that one or I would have been beating my head against the wall for a little while till I figured that out.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Last edited by jgusta; 11-06-2010 at 01:08 PM.
    Ride On!

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    That's a shame. Mine was doing the same with the rocker on my WFO. I put a 6" piece of rubber fuel line over mine with zip ties where they contact not only to protect the hose from damage but also to fatten it up so the rocker will push it aside rather than eat it.

I will say, the line can be a little ornary with what it does under compression.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    That's a shame. Mine was doing the same with the rocker on my WFO. I put a 6" piece of rubber fuel line over mine with zip ties where they contact not only to protect the hose from damage but also to fatten it up so the rocker will push it aside rather than eat it.

I will say, the line can be a little ornary with what it does under compression.
    Good suggestion, but unfortunately it is not soley cause the cable/rocker interference that I have decided to sell it. It is also cause I usually end up having to manually adjust my seatpost some, everytime I go down beyond the 5" adjustment for climbing to full-on descend mode due to slacker ST angles on my bike. An infinitement 6" adj post would be the "shizz" for my bike and riding style at least (longish, steep ass climbs to railer descents). An adj. seatpost is a necessity for general trail riding with mixed terrain though.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Just received this from SRAM tech support. This will be on their website within a week or so:

Reverb Bleed Instructions:

1) turn speed dial to full slow (full CCW)
    2) fill a syringe about full of 2.5 wt oil
    3) connect syringe to remote bleed port
    4) while pulling vacuum with syringe, push remote button in
    5) apply positive pressure on syringe, remote button should come all the way out
    6) repeat steps 4 and 5 10 times or until no more air is being pulled out
    7) finish procedure with a push, remove syringe and install bleed screw
    8) adjust speed dial to preferred setting

Reverb Hose Shortening Instructions:

1) turn speed dial to full slow (full CCW)
    2) cut hose at remote end, not post end
    3) remove extra hose from remote (grab hose with pliers, smack pliers with hammer or cut with utility knife)
    4) cut hose to length, press hose onto barb while twisting until fully seated
    5) adjust speed dial to preferred setting
    6) should not need to bleed remote if you follow these instructions

mtbr member
    FYI - I just installed my Reverb. There was so much air in the line I ended up bleeding using a syringe at both ends. Now, the action is fast & smoove. I would recommend this to anyone, it's so easy to do and why not ensure that you are getting full performance.

How do I do that?
    Just received my Reverb from UC the other day and as someone who's never used an adjustable seatpost before, all I can say is......Niiiiiice I've only been riding for about a year and a half and having the ability to change the height on the fly even helps out a lame rider like me. The price might be hard to swallow at first but I think it's worth having one.

As for my experience with the Reverb, so far so good. Purchased the 31.6MM x 380MM post and out of the box, the unit needed a quick bleed as described by BMJ, (thanks guys! Having read your posts beforehand, I wasn't so concerned when I couldn't fully compress it at first).

Having read some of the difficulties with the routing of the hydraulic line upon compressing the seat, I had an idea about allowing the tubing to move forward towards the front of the bike. Through several trial and errors, I stumbled upon this present setup and it's been working great so far.

As you can see in the photos and videos, I routed the line along the left side of the TT and used two of the cable couplers that comes with the Reverb to route the tubing along the front derailleur cable and through the shock mount. Note, the coupler piece slides easily on both the Reverb tubing and FD cables.

I wrapped a piece of ducktape on the RD cable towards the seat tube as the coupler likes to move forward upon compression, this keeps it close to the bend and prevents the Reverb tubing from bowing out and away from the frame during compression.

The front coupler simply keeps the cables tidy. You can see it stays with the Reverb cable and slides on the RD cable in the video.

Don't laugh but since the tubing seems to move pretty consistently forward, I added a piece of tape as a "gauge" or "Meter" that gives me an idea where the post is. Yes, its probably silly as your butt will be the first and foremost thing to tell you where your post is positioned but I'm enjoying the ability to take a glance to quickly find my 'preset' favorite postion.(picture shows full extension. One of my fav in between height is when the blue tape just reaches the Lefty bracket. Full Compression shows up on the front edge of the bracket)

I'll have to keep an eye out if there are any rubbing/chafing issues on the cable as well but it seems like it'll be okay so far. Before I received and mounted the Reverb, I was worried about the pull of the cable towards the front of the bike with this silly idea and had thought of ways to utilize a spring or rubber band on the cable(pulling slightly forward on the cable). Luckily, I have had no need for any assistance in having the cable move forward as it seems the cable is actually being 'pushed' forward.

As for mounting the remote, I wish I could mount the right side lever on the bottom of the left side for better crash survivability but with the brake lever, FD shifter and the rather quick to thicken handlebars, it just isn't going to happen. For the time being, I mounted my Incredibell right next to the remote to offer whatever protection it can provide. Doubt it'll help much on a hard impact that hits 'just right' but I could at least flip the bike over and not worry about resting it on the remote.

PS, be carefull when you cut the line I had to perform a full bleed using both syringes as I baptized myself and the dining room with suspension oil when I cut the tubing and forgot to anticipate the curled tension Take it from someone who's never bled anything on a bicycle, it's a piece of cake. Believe me, cleaning up the line of oil across my dining room was a lot more difficult.

As others have mentioned, only time will tell how the Reverb performs reliability wise but I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

A tip that you all probably know. I'm not sure of the availability of the unit but if your looking to pick one up and can't find it, I simply signed up for Universal Cycle's "back in stock" notices on the post and simply purchased it 3 hours after receiving the email msg using the 15% discount. As others have mentioned, make sure to add another small item to push the total over $300 to qualify for the 15% discount.

Thanks!

-Chris
    Last edited by Tuff Gong; 11-03-2010 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

pic

would you mind posting a pic of your full bike, need to see how it looks with the reverb/silver part set closest to the seat tube clamp
    thanks

mtbr member
    jgusta, I appreciate your desire to sell your Reverb, but do you really need 2 spam posts in this thread? This is meant to be an informational thread. It would be nice for people not to have to dig through spam posts. Buy an ad and sell in the classifieds. Seriously.
    LMB

Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast