mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Rockshox Pike Travel Adjustment

I am working on building up a 2013 Trek Stache 8 from the frame. Currently trying to decide on suspension. I can get a 120mm Dual Air RS Revelation RCT3 or a 160mm Dual Air RS Pike RCT3 and a shock pump for about the same price. I live in Kansas and the trails around are mostly cross country but do have some descents/climbs.

I know the Pike would be extreme overkill, but given the price similarities I think it is worth considering. From the factory the stache came with a 120mm fork, so I want to stay with that travel.

So my question is: If I buy the 160mm Dual Air Pike, can I adjust the travel down to 120mm by changing out the air spring with the correct size? This my first build so I am fairly new to parts and modifications. OR would I be better off going with the 120mm revelation in the long run?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think the lowest a Pike goes is to 140mm through swapping out to a different size air piston....? I don't own one so someone correct me if I'm wrong. I do know that they are not internally changeable through spacers like some forks are.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by m367j988 View Post
    I am working on building up a 2013 Trek Stache 8 from the frame. Currently trying to decide on suspension. I can get a 120mm Dual Air RS Revelation RCT3 or a 160mm Dual Air RS Pike RCT3 and a shock pump for about the same price. I live in Kansas and the trails around are mostly cross country but do have some descents/climbs.

I know the Pike would be extreme overkill, but given the price similarities I think it is worth considering. From the factory the stache came with a 120mm fork, so I want to stay with that travel.

So my question is: If I buy the 160mm Dual Air Pike, can I adjust the travel down to 120mm by changing out the air spring with the correct size? This my first build so I am fairly new to parts and modifications. OR would I be better off going with the 120mm revelation in the long run?

Thanks
    If you can change the travel on the dual position, this chart has the part #
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rockshox Pike Travel Adjustment-image.jpg  

I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    29er solo air pike can do 120 with the air shaft, not sure of "dual air"? or do you mean dual position air? If it is a dual position 160/130, than running at the 130 won't be bad. However you should be able to change that to run 150/120..

If its an older model dual air fork with a manually adjustable positive chamber and a separate manually adjustable negative chamber, then I don't know about those.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    29er solo air pike can do 120 with the air shaft, not sure of "dual air"? or do you mean dual position air? If it is a dual position 160/130, than running at the 130 won't be bad. However you should be able to change that to run 150/120..

If its an older model dual air fork with a manually adjustable positive chamber and a separate manually adjustable negative chamber, then I don't know about those.
    I think it's a 2013. And yes sorry dual position air. I think I'll go with the revelation for now since the trails are more cross country style than enduro.

Elitest thrill junkie
    29er pike can go down to 100mm, I have one sitting right here that I made.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Would you recommend doing it?
    What parts did you need to make the change?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Seems to work fine, but I haven't got much time on it. I got the 130mm 26" shaft, which on the 29er gives you 100mm of travel.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    ...and the Pike is an awesome fork. Just sayin'...

MTB B'dos
    I need to do research on adjusting travel on the Dual Air myself, but my friend needed a 130mm fork for his new build and the frame could run with a 140 and some even run a 150mm, so I suggested he get the Dual Air 160/130 fork and run it in the 130mm position most of the time and open to 160mm on the really steep downs. The only thing with doing this is that as far as I've read, you loose a bit of the finer feel of the Pike with Dual Air, especially in the lower setting, but I personally think this isn't something that most riders can feel, I know he can't.
    So far it's working just fine for him, very pleased with it and as you say, you can pick one up for the cost of a Revelation and getting the 35mm stanchions is a no brainer for a stiff frame and precise steering that holds a line.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    So far it's working just fine for him, very pleased with it and as you say, you can pick one up for the cost of a Revelation and getting the 35mm stanchions is a no brainer for a stiff frame and precise steering that holds a line.
    Would the Pike have different compression/dampening than the revelation? Since the majority of my riding is cross country/ all mountain, would I really see the benefit of the pike? It weighs an extra pound over the revelation, according to rockshox. My concern with getting the Pike is that I havent seen proof (video/instructions) that it is possible to swap air springs for a dual position fork. Not saying that people who say they have done it are wrong, but talk is cheap.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    In the RS service manual they don't differentiate between the 2 forks. The air shaft parts are the same.

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/si...e_manual_0.pdf

Reducing a Pike 150>140 and a 160>150 tech thread

Read post 169.

Also, why not just call RS?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Actually looking in the Sram Spare parts catalog it is a different part number for the air shafts from Solo air to DP Air
    https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....spc_revb_0.pdf
    Assuming your comparing those two forks. But even the Rev has different P/N for air shafts, however, adjusting travel with any of the forks seems like a simple model appropriate air shaft change.

mtbr member
    I think the OP was looking at the Dual Air, which has a knob for on the fly adjustment. I have the Pike RCT3 Dual Air 160 for 27.5" wheels. Twist the knob and it goes to 130 mm. You don't need to do anything internally. 130 mm is close enough to 120....Heck going with 30% Vs 20% sag will take care of that and give you a better ride. However, as you said, the 160 may be overkill in the sense that you'll pay a price in weight for a capability you may not use.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 03-22-2016 at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've recently replaced the O.E. 120mm travel forks on my 2014 Stache with a 140mm Pike.
    Once set up for my riding style and local conditions [steep and rocky] they've changed a good ride into a great one.
    In the past I've had 3 Revelations in 26" flavour, all of them good forks but they can't compare with the latest Pike for performance.
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Anybody knows if it is possible to modify a pike 29er dual position from 160-130 to 130-100 with another dual position airshaft like this one 11.4018.026.005 ? If the logic is the same as on the solo air side then it should work with the mentioned dual air shaft.
    Sram service hotline says no, but I guess they would also say no to that the solo air can go down to 100 although it actually can....

aka: Fitness Mike

150-130 dual position pike to 100-130mm

Quote Originally Posted by studentmartin View Post
    Anybody knows if it is possible to modify a pike 29er dual position from 160-130 to 130-100 with another dual position airshaft like this one 11.4018.026.005 ? If the logic is the same as on the solo air side then it should work with the mentioned dual air shaft.
    Sram service hotline says no, but I guess they would also say no to that the solo air can go down to 100 although it actually can....
    You are reading my mind, I want to do the same exact thing for my Canfield Epo, then I won't have to compromise between stiffness, climbing and steep technical decents.
    Mike Maio
    Owner & Master Trainer of:
    Push Personal Training
    10999 Sorrento Valley rd.
    San Diego, Ca. 92121

AKA Mr.Habanero
    Get the Pike and lower it. Im in omaha and have a Fox 36 lowered to 120. The strength and stiffness is always worth it!
    Travel reducing the pike is a p i t a. But once you do it a few times you will figure out some tricks