mtbr member
    Feb 2009

rockshox fork guidelines off for sag setup

Trying to setup my sektor solo air. RS guide on fork leg says 70-80psi for my 145lbs. When I run 70 it feels ok but rough on small bumps. At 70psi I'm only at 20percent sag, measured by standing on pedals and slightly leaning forward while using a wall to balance. Found this sag measuring technique online. I want to run 30 percent sag, recommended for aggressive trail riding per same site, but that puts me at about 55-60psi, way below rockshox rec pressure. Do any of u run less psi than recommended by fork manufacturer? Do u measure sag like I did? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Rockshox are always way off with their pressure settings. I have a 2011 Sektor solo - air and I need to run it at about 50-54 psi for my weight (61kg). I find that if you are really light it can be a bit hard to set the sag, so I played around with settings to make sure I was using full travel while I was riding.

meow meow
    +1. i dont know where rs gets their figures but they are off by a good margin.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thank u both for the confirmation..
    Kiwiplague what kind of ridng are u doing and how do u set the sag? Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Mostly trail and some all mountain. I don't worry too much about exact sag, kind of try for 25 - 30%, but I don't get too hung up about it. I try to make sure I'm using max travel 3 or four times in a ride. With running pressures at the lower end of the scale, I find I need the MoCo set 1/3 - 1/2 to stop brake dive and excess bobbing out of the saddle. For what I ride that seems to work well.
    I also make sure I keep the stanchions and seals clean as well to eliminate any stiction and keep the fork working well on the smaller stuff.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Rockshox are always way off with their pressure settings. I have a 2011 Sektor solo - air and I need to run it at about 50-54 psi for my weight (61kg). I find that if you are really light it can be a bit hard to set the sag, so I played around with settings to make sure I was using full travel while I was riding.
    This is odd, I weight the same (145lb) and run the fork at 70 psi and use all the travel. I do have it set at 130mm, maybe that is affecting it. Another thought is mine is on a hardtail, so no rear sagging. Maybe that causes more weight to the front of the bike.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneetowaist View Post
    Do any of u run less psi than recommended by fork manufacturer? Do u measure sag like I did? Thanks!
    I find the RS recommended pressures to be fairly accurate... once you have taken them apart and put the right amounts of oil in the legs plus grease on the wiper seals.

A lot of undersprung RS forks turn out to be under lubricated as well (always check new forks for oil, ALWAYS).

I run my Rev dual airs slightly higher than recommended, but then I seem to be weird.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronabrandt View Post
    This is odd, I weight the same (145lb) and run the fork at 70 psi and use all the travel. I do have it set at 130mm, maybe that is affecting it. Another thought is mine is on a hardtail, so no rear sagging. Maybe that causes more weight to the front of the bike.
    Mine is set at 150mm, if I set it at 70psi, it would not use anywhere near the useable amount of travel. Maybe at 130mm the smaller air chamber needs a correspondingly higher psi (kind of like smaller tires?)
    Could also be manufacturing variations, I know there are plenty of threads I've read about Rockshox pressure settings being inaccurate. You just have to check out the Revelation settings threads to see some wild variations on pressures, even with riders who are similar weights.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks kiwiplague, I too, used to go for 3 bottom outs per ride but since I saw that article about sag I switched to that technique (30 perc sag). I will run the shock at 60 and think that will give me my 3 bottom outs.. Regarding the oil in the shock, I never checked for that. I do feel like it is a bit sticky and always have to triflo the stanchions prior to riding and even then, after about 7 miles fork becomes a little sticky on small bumps. I read about a special grase or "butter" u can put in ur fork internals, may try that too. I love suspension that is active and know the sektor air is a good one -already a big improvement over my suntour- but know it can perform better. I'm running it at 150mm btw and riding "aggressive trail style"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kneetowaist View Post
    Thanks kiwiplague, I too, used to go for 3 bottom outs per ride but since I saw that article about sag I switched to that technique (30 perc sag). I will run the shock at 60 and think that will give me my 3 bottom outs.. Regarding the oil in the shock, I never checked for that. I do feel like it is a bit sticky and always have to triflo the stanchions prior to riding and even then, after about 7 miles fork becomes a little sticky on small bumps. I read about a special grase or "butter" u can put in ur fork internals, may try that too. I love suspension that is active and know the sektor air is a good one -already a big improvement over my suntour- but know it can perform better. I'm running it at 150mm btw and riding "aggressive trail style"
    Like was said, get the fork's oil changed (since they often are underfilled from the factory), since if the oil is low/dirty, the bushings could wear prematurely, as well as the seals/wipers.

mtbr member
    60% body weight in pos chamber (w/gear) 60%-10PSI in neg chamber, Always pump pos champer first. Pay no attention to sag. This should work across the board whether a weenie or a clyde for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Sektor solo air forks are just that, one fill valve only. The neg chamber is filled to the same pressure as the pos chamber. Revelations have dual air.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Sektor solo air forks are just that, one fill valve only. The neg chamber is filled to the same pressure as the pos chamber. Revelations have dual air.
    My Bad

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Mine is at 190 psi.. Im only 75 kilos. Is it bad?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Not many people Know how inaccurate their pumps are, not that it matters.

If your gauge says 2500psi and it rides great, you're fine.