Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rock Shox Reverb vs. Specialized Command Post

I got a gift certificate to the LBS, so now's a good time to splurge on a dropper seatpost. They carry both the Command Post and Reverb so those are the choices.

I've read through the command post and reverb threads, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. The command post has been around longer, and it seems all of the kinks have been worked out. However, the reverb seems pretty solid and people aren't reporting any big issues. Ultimately I'm most concerned with reliability.

usually cranky
    no experiance with the comand and hardly any ride time on my reverb (damn snow!) but i can tell you this: the reverb is increadably smooth and barely has any play. routing the remote is a bit of a puzzle and it will need a good double bleed out of the box but that is stupid easy.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I have an early Command Post that I've had over a year. Initially had the turning head syndrome, returned to factory (given a loaner) and came back in perfect condition. Since then, I have not had one single problem with it.

Haven't used the Reverb, but have used most of the other major players. I give the CP a hearty recommendation, but I'm sure the Reverb is nice. Tough choice.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    One has a healthy setback the other has none.
    It seams to me one will fit you and the other wont.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    One has a healthy setback the other has none.
    It seams to me one will fit you and the other wont.
    Good point, I didn't even consider that. However, I currently have a zero setback post and I run the saddle slightly aft, so I think I could run either post without issues. What is the setback on the CP anyway? Specialized's site doesn't say.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm still waiting myself, none of the posts sound like they're quite ready yet. I have high hopes for the Reverb after the next update considering a poorly designed remote seems like the only problem so far. Also wonder how the X-fusion Hilo will do. Just seems too early for anyone but early adopters who are willing to put up with the current risks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The command post is pretty much bullit proof. The new 5" version feels even smoother than the older one. Not infinitely adjustable, but I don't find that to be a problem. I am not a huge fan of the head design, I've had it slip on me once. But with a little carbon prep paste and a good torqueing of the bolt it has not budged.

mtbr member
    I've had both. Here's my quick review....

Command Post.
    The cable tension was finicky. I hated the remote. The head slipped once one me. The only thing that I like about the post was the 3-position settings.

Reverb.
    It needed a bleed out of the box, but how convenient that all bleeding tools (and fluid) are included. It's been amazing. It works perfect everytime, warm or cold. I like that the cable is more flexible than a traditional cable housing. There's nothing that I dislike about it (other than weight).

KS.
    Ugh, never again.

If you don't require a setback seatpost, I would personally recommend the Reverb.
    It's dope.
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've owned both and currently have the Reverb... I think its the best option at the moment.

mtbr member

still waffling

The CP's head design seems to be the biggest negative, and lever complaints are not uncommon. However, I like the pre-set drops, one less thing to think about and fidget with on the trail. I also like the fact that it's been around much longer and is on the second generation. I heard that Specialized changed the proprietary cable to a standard derailleur cable for 2011, is that true?

Whenever I start leaning toward the CP though, the reverb starts looking really good. The head design is better, and everyone seems to be raving about its performance and reliability. So far everyone who has tried both is saying they prefer the reverb. The hydraulic actuation lever might be more vulnerable in a crash, but that's not a dealkiller for me, and I don't have a strong opinion in the cable vs. hydraulic actuation debate.

Too bad the Fox D.O.S.S. is a long way off, assuming the quality is on par with their shocks and forks, it would be my first choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Umm yeah, the Fox does look nice... especially the remote. I forgot to mention that the Reverb remote is very vulnerable... mine has already snapped in a fairly mild crash. And there aren't any replacement parts available yet which is brutal... you can jury rig the Reverb remote with parts for the standard Rockshox Xloc, but I don't know if it will work long term.

usually cranky
    good point, the reverb remote is kind of clunky and awkward to set up but i wouldnt let it be a major deterant.

T.W.O.
    Despite the look Command post still is a mechanical post with 3 position drop. Reverb is a full hydro with infinite adj.

I've tried both but own neither, I'd get the Reverb because of the infinite travel adj. It'd encourage you to use more. I'm using KS and like the adj function, also own GD, and AMP though they are simple, and less maintenance I'd still get the Hydro.

If that's your 2 choices go for RS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    i have had a BAD experience with this post. bought this post in late 2009 didn't ride it till spring 2010, rode it twice and post kept sticking in up position. eventually when i managed to get it to stay down it would fire into my balls when hitting rough stuff. wasn't a cable tension issue. it wouldn't hold air in the chamber. sent back to specialized who stated that i had broken it through misuse by landing on it heavy. i rode this on xc trails without any drop offs or jumping.
    i used to work as a specialized dealer and i have seen quite a few of these being sent back though my shop. ultimately i had to spend 55 on the service costs specialized charged me to fix this, there warranty is a joke. DONT BUY THIS POST, GET A GRAVITY DROPPER OR REVERB!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The biggest thing going for the command post is it's set drop points. Their's something to be said about consistency. I put mine on the bike a year ago and have never had a single issue with it. It's simple and effective, to bad they don't make it in other post sizes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I hate my reverb, its a pile of ass. brand new and Ive bled it so many times and it still wont go down.

my Kindshock however, has been perfect for a year
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Personally I'm not sold on droppers. Sure it's nice to adjust on the fly, but bikes are HUGE maintenance to begin with... who needs yet another futzy component. Besides they are heavy, and tons of cable clutter. Thompson all the way folks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    so are disc brakes.

they are worth it 10000x
    The mountains are calling and I must go

the Chain Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by djball
    Personally I'm not sold on droppers. Sure it's nice to adjust on the fly, but bikes are HUGE maintenance to begin with... who needs yet another futzy component. Besides they are heavy, and tons of cable clutter. Thompson all the way folks
    You must not have one because once you get a dropper post you can't go back. I have a command post and have not had an issue yet. It has almost been a year since I bought it. I don't see how 1 extra cable is anything to complain about, I don't even notice the cable.
    I like the idea that the Command Post locks into place. Even if it failed and lost all of it's air you could lock it in position and it would be a normal seatpost until you get it fixed. The 3 postion adjust seems like the way to go for me too. It makes it so easy to put the post right where you want it. No guessing.
    I haven't tried a Reverb but I would suggest a Command Post to anyone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well for some, cable clutter is a complaint...especially on a clean top tube.
    Yes I've tried the droppers, and they are awesome, but I've also seen a plethora of problems with friends. And just a heads up, Rockshox QC is ASS, and so is most of their product... I learned my lesson the expensive way...twice! you've been warned.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by djball
    Well for some, cable clutter is a complaint...especially on a clean top tube.
    Yes I've tried the droppers, and they are awesome, but I've also seen a plethora of problems with friends. And just a heads up, Rockshox QC is ASS, and so is most of their product... I learned my lesson the expensive way...twice! you've been warned.
    Your objection is noted
    I don't have the Reverb but I'm sure it has its fair share of problems like other posts. I own others though. For the most parts they work great. Even when they are not I'd still prefer them over fix post.

mtbr member
    Is it me or does the specialized command post look a lot like the crank brothers joplin? Is it the same post made by crank brothers for specialized?

If that was the case, I would go for the reverb. However, if you can wait, Fox is in the works with another new adjustable seat post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3F-Yc2TFYI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane
    Is it me or does the specialized command post look a lot like the crank brothers joplin? Is it the same post made by crank brothers for specialized?l
    No.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane
    Is it me or does the specialized command post look a lot like the crank brothers joplin? Is it the same post made by crank brothers for specialized?

If that was the case, I would go for the reverb. However, if you can wait, Fox is in the works with another new adjustable seat post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3F-Yc2TFYI
    Command post is made by Spech it's not the same as the Joplin. Joplin is the same as Maverick Speedball, they are Hydro, not mechanical.

Personally, I think Fox is late in the game, they don't have anything new to offer. To be a competent contender the new comers has to make a post that infinitely adjust, from 4-6" short enough based, lighter weight 325-450g, and great remote.

The only thing Fox bring on is the "seal", everyone else has already improve theirs so it's a no issue. All other feature is just follow what others have done. If Fox release theirs today, I doubt they'd beat Reverb, or KS, or GD.

I know that KS is working on getting the Carbon shell, and it would be great if they can also get lighter internal while they are at it. That would be the right direction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885

I know that KS is working on getting the Carbon shell, and it would be great if they can also get lighter internal while they are at it. That would be the right direction.

I was told last week by the UK distributor that KS will be releasing a 150mm travel version of the i950 later in the year too....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast