Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rock Shox Reverb vs. Specialized Command Post

I got a gift certificate to the LBS, so now's a good time to splurge on a dropper seatpost. They carry both the Command Post and Reverb so those are the choices.

I've read through the command post and reverb threads, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. The command post has been around longer, and it seems all of the kinks have been worked out. However, the reverb seems pretty solid and people aren't reporting any big issues. Ultimately I'm most concerned with reliability.

meow meow
    no experiance with the comand and hardly any ride time on my reverb (damn snow!) but i can tell you this: the reverb is increadably smooth and barely has any play. routing the remote is a bit of a puzzle and it will need a good double bleed out of the box but that is stupid easy.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I have an early Command Post that I've had over a year. Initially had the turning head syndrome, returned to factory (given a loaner) and came back in perfect condition. Since then, I have not had one single problem with it.

Haven't used the Reverb, but have used most of the other major players. I give the CP a hearty recommendation, but I'm sure the Reverb is nice. Tough choice.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    One has a healthy setback the other has none.
    It seams to me one will fit you and the other wont.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    Good point, I didn't even consider that. However, I currently have a zero setback post and I run the saddle slightly aft, so I think I could run either post without issues. What is the setback on the CP anyway? Specialized's site doesn't say.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm still waiting myself, none of the posts sound like they're quite ready yet. I have high hopes for the Reverb after the next update considering a poorly designed remote seems like the only problem so far. Also wonder how the X-fusion Hilo will do. Just seems too early for anyone but early adopters who are willing to put up with the current risks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The command post is pretty much bullit proof. The new 5" version feels even smoother than the older one. Not infinitely adjustable, but I don't find that to be a problem. I am not a huge fan of the head design, I've had it slip on me once. But with a little carbon prep paste and a good torqueing of the bolt it has not budged.

mtbr member
    I've had both. Here's my quick review....

Command Post.
    The cable tension was finicky. I hated the remote. The head slipped once one me. The only thing that I like about the post was the 3-position settings.

Reverb.
    It needed a bleed out of the box, but how convenient that all bleeding tools (and fluid) are included. It's been amazing. It works perfect everytime, warm or cold. I like that the cable is more flexible than a traditional cable housing. There's nothing that I dislike about it (other than weight).

KS.
    Ugh, never again.

If you don't require a setback seatpost, I would personally recommend the Reverb.
    It's dope.
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've owned both and currently have the Reverb... I think its the best option at the moment.

mtbr member

still waffling

The CP's head design seems to be the biggest negative, and lever complaints are not uncommon. However, I like the pre-set drops, one less thing to think about and fidget with on the trail. I also like the fact that it's been around much longer and is on the second generation. I heard that Specialized changed the proprietary cable to a standard derailleur cable for 2011, is that true?

Whenever I start leaning toward the CP though, the reverb starts looking really good. The head design is better, and everyone seems to be raving about its performance and reliability. So far everyone who has tried both is saying they prefer the reverb. The hydraulic actuation lever might be more vulnerable in a crash, but that's not a dealkiller for me, and I don't have a strong opinion in the cable vs. hydraulic actuation debate.

Too bad the Fox D.O.S.S. is a long way off, assuming the quality is on par with their shocks and forks, it would be my first choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Umm yeah, the Fox does look nice... especially the remote. I forgot to mention that the Reverb remote is very vulnerable... mine has already snapped in a fairly mild crash. And there aren't any replacement parts available yet which is brutal... you can jury rig the Reverb remote with parts for the standard Rockshox Xloc, but I don't know if it will work long term.

meow meow
    good point, the reverb remote is kind of clunky and awkward to set up but i wouldnt let it be a major deterant.

T.W.O.
    Despite the look Command post still is a mechanical post with 3 position drop. Reverb is a full hydro with infinite adj.

I've tried both but own neither, I'd get the Reverb because of the infinite travel adj. It'd encourage you to use more. I'm using KS and like the adj function, also own GD, and AMP though they are simple, and less maintenance I'd still get the Hydro.

If that's your 2 choices go for RS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    i have had a BAD experience with this post. bought this post in late 2009 didn't ride it till spring 2010, rode it twice and post kept sticking in up position. eventually when i managed to get it to stay down it would fire into my balls when hitting rough stuff. wasn't a cable tension issue. it wouldn't hold air in the chamber. sent back to specialized who stated that i had broken it through misuse by landing on it heavy. i rode this on xc trails without any drop offs or jumping.
    i used to work as a specialized dealer and i have seen quite a few of these being sent back though my shop. ultimately i had to spend £55 on the service costs specialized charged me to fix this, there warranty is a joke. DONT BUY THIS POST, GET A GRAVITY DROPPER OR REVERB!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The biggest thing going for the command post is it's set drop points. Their's something to be said about consistency. I put mine on the bike a year ago and have never had a single issue with it. It's simple and effective, to bad they don't make it in other post sizes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I hate my reverb, its a pile of ass. brand new and Ive bled it so many times and it still wont go down.

my Kindshock however, has been perfect for a year
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Personally I'm not sold on droppers. Sure it's nice to adjust on the fly, but bikes are HUGE maintenance to begin with... who needs yet another futzy component. Besides they are heavy, and tons of cable clutter. Thompson all the way folks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    so are disc brakes.

they are worth it 10000x
    The mountains are calling and I must go

the Chain Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by djball
    Personally I'm not sold on droppers. Sure it's nice to adjust on the fly, but bikes are HUGE maintenance to begin with... who needs yet another futzy component. Besides they are heavy, and tons of cable clutter. Thompson all the way folks
    You must not have one because once you get a dropper post you can't go back. I have a command post and have not had an issue yet. It has almost been a year since I bought it. I don't see how 1 extra cable is anything to complain about, I don't even notice the cable.
    I like the idea that the Command Post locks into place. Even if it failed and lost all of it's air you could lock it in position and it would be a normal seatpost until you get it fixed. The 3 postion adjust seems like the way to go for me too. It makes it so easy to put the post right where you want it. No guessing.
    I haven't tried a Reverb but I would suggest a Command Post to anyone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well for some, cable clutter is a complaint...especially on a clean top tube.
    Yes I've tried the droppers, and they are awesome, but I've also seen a plethora of problems with friends. And just a heads up, Rockshox QC is ASS, and so is most of their product... I learned my lesson the expensive way...twice! you've been warned.

T.W.O.
    Yes I've tried the droppers, and they are awesome, but I've also seen a plethora of problems with friends. And just a heads up, Rockshox QC is ASS, and so is most of their product... I learned my lesson the expensive way...twice! you've been warned.
    Your objection is noted
    I don't have the Reverb but I'm sure it has its fair share of problems like other posts. I own others though. For the most parts they work great. Even when they are not I'd still prefer them over fix post.

mtbr member
    Is it me or does the specialized command post look a lot like the crank brothers joplin? Is it the same post made by crank brothers for specialized?

If that was the case, I would go for the reverb. However, if you can wait, Fox is in the works with another new adjustable seat post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3F-Yc2TFYI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane
    Is it me or does the specialized command post look a lot like the crank brothers joplin? Is it the same post made by crank brothers for specialized?l
    No.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane
    Is it me or does the specialized command post look a lot like the crank brothers joplin? Is it the same post made by crank brothers for specialized?

If that was the case, I would go for the reverb. However, if you can wait, Fox is in the works with another new adjustable seat post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3F-Yc2TFYI
    Command post is made by Spech it's not the same as the Joplin. Joplin is the same as Maverick Speedball, they are Hydro, not mechanical.

Personally, I think Fox is late in the game, they don't have anything new to offer. To be a competent contender the new comers has to make a post that infinitely adjust, from 4-6" short enough based, lighter weight 325-450g, and great remote.

The only thing Fox bring on is the "seal", everyone else has already improve theirs so it's a no issue. All other feature is just follow what others have done. If Fox release theirs today, I doubt they'd beat Reverb, or KS, or GD.

I know that KS is working on getting the Carbon shell, and it would be great if they can also get lighter internal while they are at it. That would be the right direction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885

I know that KS is working on getting the Carbon shell, and it would be great if they can also get lighter internal while they are at it. That would be the right direction.

I was told last week by the UK distributor that KS will be releasing a 150mm travel version of the i950 later in the year too....

mtbr member
    Command post is made by Spech it's not the same as the Joplin. Joplin is the same as Maverick Speedball, they are Hydro, not mechanical.

Personally, I think Fox is late in the game, they don't have anything new to offer. To be a competent contender the new comers has to make a post that infinitely adjust, from 4-6" short enough based, lighter weight 325-450g, and great remote.

The only thing Fox bring on is the "seal", everyone else has already improve theirs so it's a no issue. All other feature is just follow what others have done. If Fox release theirs today, I doubt they'd beat Reverb, or KS, or GD.

You are right having it infinitely adjustable is a plus. Fox said they are still in the developmentstage and will be making changes. They aren't releasing it til 2012, so the can still make it good. Fox make quality stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Really? This looks, that bad?
    I love my Command Post, and the remote is what makes it great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    A lot of bike don't have cable guide on the top tube though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Neily03
    Ok, my old 2005 Reign didn't have cable guides, again, really that bad?
    And the CP offers up so much riding "win" I'll gladly suffer a zip tie or two...lol.

www.derbyrims.com
    The major functional difference is the Reverb and nearly all others available have infinite range of intermediate height. While the Command post is 3 position with a fixed 35mm short drop, that's almost 1.5 inches below full height, and 4 or 5 inch total drop.

Personally, I'm very sensitive to seat height and do not like an irregular mid position of an infinite range mid-stop. After 3 years on the AMP post with 1 inch fixed mid drop, I found I use the 1 inch drop a lot to lower ride weight while still able to pedal with strength seated up short rises or very irregular difficult terrain. I'd like slightly deeper mid drop than my AMP, and the Command post would be ideal for my interest in function.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

What happens when you pick up the bike, cables grinding on your frame... or your shoulder.

mtbr member
    I love my command post. The first generation seal leaked in the cold winter weather, but with the new seal it has been flawless. I don't think i would want an infinitely adjustable post. The pre-set positions eliminate any need to fiddle with the post as you commit so some sketchy route.

mtbr member
    Ok, my old 2005 Reign didn't have cable guides, again, really that bad?
    And the CP offers up so much riding "win" I'll gladly suffer a zip tie or two...lol.
    Yes it does, like I said, some bikes have NO cable guides on the top tube, all my cables go down the down tube so there's nothing on the top tube to attach a cable too....

mtbr member
    3 riders in my ride group have Command Posts. 3 of them have had issues with the crappy saddle clamp. All of them have had issues with the angle of their seat changing mid ride. 1 was sent back to Specialized to fix, but returned with the same issue as if nothing had been done. 1 was replaced with a brand new one by the LBS and it still has this issue.

I haven't had a single problem with my Reverb. I had to put some fluid in it once, but that was stupid easy.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bear 28
    i have had a BAD experience with this post. bought this post in late 2009 didn't ride it till spring 2010, rode it twice and post kept sticking in up position. eventually when i managed to get it to stay down it would fire into my balls when hitting rough stuff. wasn't a cable tension issue. it wouldn't hold air in the chamber. sent back to specialized who stated that i had broken it through misuse by landing on it heavy. i rode this on xc trails without any drop offs or jumping.
    i used to work as a specialized dealer and i have seen quite a few of these being sent back though my shop. ultimately i had to spend £55 on the service costs specialized charged me to fix this, there warranty is a joke. DONT BUY THIS POST, GET A GRAVITY DROPPER OR REVERB!
    This is so lame. I keep hearing things like this about Specialized and warranty issues. What do they think drop posts are designed for? Road riding? Come on. If you weren't going to ride really steep trails you wouldn't want the extra weight and hassles of a drop post.

When I bought my first mtb at the end of 1982 I bought a Specialized and after riding down some steep ramps on the Brooklyn Bridge I bent my steertube. I tried to get them to warranty it and admitted to only going off of curbs and they said their bikes weren't built to go off of curbs. Guess they haven't learned anything about customer relations in almost 30 years.

I hope Fox makes a good drop post so that when I'm ready I don't have to by Spesh.

Fail.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

GAME ON!
    i'm waiting until fox puts out a 180mm version.

mtbr member
    Here we have 2 Specialized Command Post, experience for 1 year of use :

Pros : - When it works it works VERY well.
    - 3 steps adjusts, mounts fast. (speed adjustable by air valve)
    - Feels strong.
    - Seems temperature independent. Tested from 3°C to 28°C and didn't change operation.

Cons : - Low travel, only 100 mm. If you're tall on DH you will miss it...
    - The clamp switch is not well designed, and worse water can get in the horizontal cable housing hole. (This is a fatal flaw IMHO)
    - Cable get stuck and you must change it. Just go on a muddy/rain track and it is impossible to avoid. A bit of teflon lube will help for a small time, but ultimately dirt will overwhelm.
    - One had a valve issue and constantly lost air. -> Warranty. Changed seal but not clamp !
    - Other one sometimes changes position without user interaction which is dangerous. Changing cable tension doesn't help.
    - Heavy
    - Needs a lot of cleaning attention.
    - Must be lubed for proper operation before EACH rides or it is not smooth travel.
    - First Gen is not standard dérailleur cable.
    - No matchmaker

As we can see there is a lot of cons. But it still does the job well. I'm waiting for the Reverb to arrive ! I'm sure the Reverb with its closed hydraulic cable will definitively put it to the grave. And the middle position of this command post is not often used so the 3 step is not really necessary. The reverb is 125 mm and the clamp can get altogether with matchmaker. What else ?

Btw we have also 2 Joplins. They are HORRIBLE. Please never buy one or do anything to make people walk off them. Why ? Because when you push the button it goes indeed lower, but doesn't lock ! So when you put yourself behind the saddle and want to get back on it, if your clothes get stuck on the back of the saddle the post heightens with your body !
    Dangerous. And if you want carry your bike with the saddle, the saddle won't stay locked which is frustrating. This free travel when not on top position is incomprehensible.

Hope it helps your choice !

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I picked Joplin 3 while on sale from CRC a year ago with no remote (controller by level under the seat). The price was to good to pass by...
    When it works - everything is fine and happy, but after about 3 months it begun loosing hydraulic pressure more and more until was dropping on its own under body weight to the half of its full extension. That was annoying and after a month or two of that kind of experience I brought it to our local lab specializing in servicing bike's suspension of various kinds. That is a small private business that strives to earn a reputation of small local "Push Industries " offering various enhancements for existing bike suspension as well as routine maintenance. They also advertised being able to take care of hydraulic seat posts.
    70$ less and a 3-4 days later I picked the post that looked better then new, new seals, totally overhauled. The guy said it lost about 70% of the oil (and later I had to drain quite a bit of it out of my seat tube), he was quite familiar with the typical Joplin's deceases and there are quite a bit of such....
    A half year later now, the post operates better then new, I'd say even too much pressurized (perhaps too much for my body weight), hold the original performance like right out of the lab.
    So, the point is then for those owing CB Joplins, perhaps it would worth invest 70-80$ to send then to a reputable independent lab that deals with suspension for an overhaul and enjoy it for a time being instead of springing another 300-400$ for a new one....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yes it does, like I said, some bikes have NO cable guides on the top tube, all my cables go down the down tube so there's nothing on the top tube to attach a cable too....
    Simply route the cable where ever the guides are on your bike. It's a not really an issue IMO!

My Stable: 2007 Giant XtC (XC whippet), 2009 Yeti 575 (AM steed) and a 2009 Cannondale 9-6 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    Quote Originally Posted by er999
    ... Btw we have also 2 Joplins. They are HORRIBLE. Please never buy one or do anything to make people walk off them. Why ? Because when you push the button it goes indeed lower, but doesn't lock ! So when you put yourself behind the saddle and want to get back on it, if your clothes get stuck on the back of the saddle the post heightens with your body !
    Dangerous. And if you want carry your bike with the saddle, the saddle won't stay locked which is frustrating. This free travel when not on top position is incomprehensible...
    If Rockshox made a version of the Reverb with setback I'd definietly buy one. Now that I'm used to infinite travel (Joplin 4r) I wouldn't bother purchasing a set position post.

As er999 mentioned, I do find the Joplin a tad annoying when I've dropped the post and it raises when I pick the bike up by the seat; but, sit back on the bike and the post drops back to the previous position. And, I've never snagged the post on my shorts... ever! Might need to buy some better cycling kit er999?
    My Stable: 2007 Giant XtC (XC whippet), 2009 Yeti 575 (AM steed) and a 2009 Cannondale 9-6 (roadie)

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    i'm waiting until fox puts out a 180mm version.
    hahaha.

op, if you havent got one yet id hold off until the new ks drops. that looks like the cats pajamas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    hahaha.

op, if you havent got one yet id hold off until the new ks drops. that looks like the cats pajamas.

New KS?
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    New KS?
    Yep, 2 new ones first is the 150mm drop, and another is also 150? but it would weight around 400g with shinny carbon remote

mtbr member
    I have the reverb. Mine worked right out of the box without a bleed, and it came with little clips for attaching its cable to the existing cables on the top tube. I had a KS remote on the old bike, and I liked that as well. I don't have any experience with the specialized post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle
    And, I've never snagged the post on my shorts... ever! Might need to buy some better cycling kit er999?
    Ha ! Using an IXS full armor (+10 magic).

No seriously it's more an issue with cross country saddle with plastic hook behind it if you see what I mean (instant castration). When the Joplin has a bit of friction the annoyance is a bit reduced but still it's a flaw, why didn't they though about that... And while dismounting the saddle I've noticed that it is dripping oil from everywhere...

I have received and installed my Reverb. I did cut the hose and had to bleed it two times (and you have to do it really really well). But now it works incredibly good. From the three it is IMHO the best but I didn't test it for a long time so my opinion is biased.

So smooth and feels strong and light-years ahead of everything else.

mtbr member
    Yep, 2 new ones first is the 150mm drop, and another is also 150? but it would weight around 400g with shinny carbon remote
    any idea when these will be available for purchase? I just read a write up on the new ks and it definitely seems like the one to get. Waaay lighter and the cable exits out the front rather than the back which seem to make a lot more sense.

mtbr member
    Be carefull with the reverb, has a very bad lifespan. Their dropping like flies now the the season is starting and people are getting miles put on these things. My air seals blew so taking it back to LBS in germany hopefully they just give me one or a discount on a new one until it gets back from RS.
    Love the post but dear lord its having major reliability problems, but like many others who's post has failed still wont ride without one because when it works its amazing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I bought a used Command post on PB and the first thing I noticed while installing was how weak and flimsy the remote feels. Then when I took the bike for my first test run, the thumb remote was not smooth and felt like I had to really press it to trigger the post. I thought maybe the remote switch pivot my snap under intense pressure. Also the first generations have a proprietary cable to go with the remote. BOO! The post, however, s runs smooth works perfectly when the cable is moving smoothly. SO, that being said I applied an unconventional fix to the remote issues. I'm actually surprised that no one else has done this. I'm a freerider, and like lots of us, I had an extra front derlr shifter. So I set the Sram X5 shifter in the first gear and pulled the cable tight. Adjusted the barrel adjusters to trigger a little sensitive and Bam!! The cable runs SOOOO smooth. The post is engaged before the shifter can actually fully click into the second gear position. The cable is set so tight that the shifter isnt allowed to switch fully into second. It only moves just enought to engage the post and back to it's resting position. The stock remote has a really cheesey spring under the thumb lever that isnt even strong enough to move the lever back to it's resting position. Now with the X5, To me, the post is running flawlessly. Also the post is strong and has an almost undetectable wiggle unlike what Ive heard about the Joplins. Hope this helps.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    I'm shopping for one as well, the simplicity of air only vs. air actuated/oil damped and simple cable actuation makes it sound like the CP has the advantage. Plus they're cheaper, $225 from Specialized online.

It's also not fair to make comparisons using issues that Specialized has resolved and ignoring the almost constant stream of complaints about the Reverb.

The Fox post sounds like it's basically the same design as the Specialized with three positions, the real question is how much of a premium you'll have to pay for the Fox name. I doubt it'll have the same teething problems as other posts, you can make almost anything perfect when you spend enough money, so let's wait for the price to make a final decision.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just want to clarify in case I wasn't clear. I am a big fan of the air/cable actuated CP design and I'm sure that Spesh is gonna iron out all the stated issues I have with the !st generation's remote trigger. (Although the leftover front shifter method with it's bearing driven smooth action is gonna be hard to beat.) That being said. I Love the post and as a AM/ Freerider, I dont really see an huge advantage to having an entire 5-6inch range of height options nor do I really need 150mm of range (I'm 5'10"). with the 100mm post, I have my cruising height set, and all I really need is to sit and squat the seat out of the way when the steep DH or flowy jump section begins. The CP is perfect for me an i'm sure far more reliable that 75% of the hydros out now. It is slighlty on the heavy side , though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast