mtbr member

Is Road bike fit the same for MTN bike fit??

Hello,
    I've got a 63.5cm Road bike that is fitted just the way I like it. Can you take those same measurements from your road bike and apply them to your mountain bike and have a great fitting mtn bike??
    The reason I'm asking is that I have the same measurements on my road bike as I do on my hardtail mtn bike(49.5cm) and it seems to feel great. I just purchased an older XC mtn bike(55cm) that is a rigid frame and was planning on using it for cyclocross. The stem on this bike is a 150mm where as my road and hardtail mtn bike have 100mm stems. It seems to be a little more streached out than the others, but is this type of mtn bike(mid 90's model) supposed to be more streached out in the ride??
    Do your bikes(road, mtn, comfort) have the same measurements from the center of the bars to the end of the seat or front of the seat(however you do it)??
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes! Your numbers are your numbers, you should know them or write them down for when you travel and have to rent a bike. Every time I go to visit my parents I rent from a LBS, then I set it to my numbers and its all good.

mtbr member
    Awesome !!... Thanks !!
    I guess the reason I'm feeling a little stretched on the rigid mtn bike is because the stem is about 50mm too long, right??
    Does 2"(50mm) really make that much of a difference??

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by !TREK4ME! View Post
    Awesome !!... Thanks !!
    I guess the reason I'm feeling a little stretched on the rigid mtn bike is because the stem is about 50mm too long, right??
    Does 2"(50mm) really make that much of a difference??
    yes...

mtbr member
    setup each bike to what feels best to YOU

if im fartin around town on a street bike, i like a tighter cockpit. but if im up in the hills, going down some nasty stuff, i want some room when i stand up, which may feel more stretched out when sitting
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Got'cha !!...
    Thanks guys !!!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by !TREK4ME! View Post
    Do your bikes(road, mtn, comfort) have the same measurements from the center of the bars to the end of the seat or front of the seat(however you do it)??
    Thanks
    Mine do not.

With the drop bars on the road bike, I need a much shorter top tube. Even with the longer stem on the road bike, the saddle to bar clamp distance is about 1-1/2" shorter on my road bike.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It depends on what you mean by measurements, but I'm pretty sure the answer is a resounding "NO."

Position is absolutely dependent on the type of riding. On road bikes, you're interested in a compromise of aerodynamics and power. On mountain bikes, you're interested in a compromise of power and handling. This is why MTBs have much wider bars--I run 42cm on my road bike, and 68.5cm on my XC bike. When the bars get wider, the "Saddle->Bar" length generally must get shorter to maintain a position. Moreover, I don't think that length should be the same between types of riding because on a MTB you are riding more upright (for handling) and on a Road bike more flat (for aero).

Even within MTB, an XC rider is generally going to be more "flat" than, e.g., an All-Mtn rider, hence the prevalence of longer top tubes and stems on XC bikes.

As a more extreme example, look at the riding position of triathlon bikes. They actually move their seat far forward compared to road or MTB, to transfer load to their hamstrings, saving their quads for the run.

Lastly, 50mm of stem length is HUGE. If somebody swapped the stem on my allez with one 10-20mm longer before a century, I guarantee I will have shoulder pain by the end. That said, if the bike has a particularly short top tube, for example, the extra long stem might make sense.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

mtbr member
    no. not for me.
    different tools for different jobs aren't generally held and/or are operated the same way.
    don't sweat the petty things & don't pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    no here as well, i ride a xl mountain bike with a 120mm stem, but ride a 58cm road bike. just ensure your knees are in correct position over the pedals, also look at where you eyes sites up with the front axle on your road bike. i found the more i ride the road bike the lower i want my bars on the mountain bike, to put my body in a more aerodynamic position while on the open flat trail. I still like the mountain bike to have the ability to maintain a good cursing speed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    regarding the knee position on a rode bike, if the cranks are parellel to the ground, you knee cap should be over the ball of your foot. and your eyes should be over the axle when you are the hoods.

Trips for Kids Denver
    Sometimes it makes sense to ride a mountain bike with a little less reach and a little bit of a lower seat than on a road bike for dealing with technical riding situations.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    May 2011
    NO! Even between MTB's there are differences. XC bike you want it a little longer than a AM bike. I think my Roadbike is a little shorter due to drop bars.

mtbr member
    The measurements are not even sort of close! I ride a 595mm top tube mtb, and a 535mm road bike. Using one fit for the other would be horribly off.

MTB fit is MUCH more subjective than road bike fit. Totally different methods to sizing.

wuss
    I don't go with the same size. If I pick a mountain bike that feels good on the road or smooth trails it will not work on difficult terrain and steep descents. I need a shorter mtn bike to make it easier to pump the bike under me and shift my weight.