try and catch me
    Mar 2011

RIMS ? would like some input

hey im in need of some new 26" rims to throw on my S-works enduro FSR.. basically lookin to spend 200 to rebuild the rims, soo i need a wheel and spokes, i like crazy colors!! and do care about quality. tubeless would be nice, but i know they run for more, so thats not the most crucial.... any suggestions guys

mtbr member
    All sorts of info, except the relevant ones...riding style and terrain.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

try and catch me
    Mar 2011
    my riding style... well i have a 26" full suspension bike that I bang around like its a 20" bmx, which i grew up riding, so my bmx roots still show in my downhill adventures, oh and there are lots of rocks where i ride, and i mean big freakin boulders, that are notorious for bending rims

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_BAT View Post
    my riding style... well i have a 26" full suspension bike that I bang around like its a 20" bmx, which i grew up riding, so my bmx roots still show in my downhill adventures, oh and there are lots of rocks where i ride, and i mean big freakin boulders, that are notorious for bending rims
    Say you're about 170lbs...?
    Get your mits on some 721s, 36h in the rear, 4x if your hub flange is wide enough, and 32's in the frt. Run some 2.3 to 2.4 UST tires or DH tires w/ multiple layer casing.

If this is too pricey, look at the Halo Freedoms... tall profile for stiffness and still sufficiently wide (28mm) to bed a 2.4.

823's are an option, but it sounds like you're a bit rough on wheels and these are pricey rims.

4x and 36h may be a bit overkill for my assumed weight of you tho. And, I don't think you'll be able to pull it off w/ a Halo rim because how tall they are.

Edit: I'm 200 in full DH regalia. I shoot for less maintenance, sacrificing a bit on weight.

Edit edit: those Freedoms are ~$45 ea, shop around for spokes and you can typically find silver straights for ~$50/100 w/ brass nips. Gauging from the way you described your riding... go straight w/ brass.
    Last edited by Pau11y; 08-19-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just picked up some 819s, $340 for the whole wheelset new, but this is for my AM hardtail...

so my bmx roots still show in my downhill adventures
    Do you want DOWNHILL rims or all mountain?!

I'd go with the 823s.

mtbr member
    $100 for spokes and nipples (black), rims- $30-$90 ea.+ oversize shipping $20, labor- $30-$50 per wheel, rim tape $13. I think that put you over $200. It may be more advantagous to buy some Revelation32 from Transition for $320. Secondly your riding a Enduro, so I don't think you need a full out Dh wheel set, but a AM/Enduro type wheel on D-ply tires will do fine. Go ghetto if tubless is what you want to keep cost to a min. Can your rig take a 12mm thru axle?

Let the good times roll.
    Stans Flow rims are my personal favorite. Light, wide, and tubeless. They are a bit pricy, but worth it IMO. Strength is just a bit lower than a true DH rim

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Atomlab Pimplite rims. The lbs guys both said they felt like very sttrong rims after they built'em up. I'm running the front ghetto tubeless with no issues. I've been on the front for a year & the back, only a month. I have only had one other set of wheels, Speesh/Alexrims, so can't really compare to anything else.

mtbr member
    +1 on the Stan's Flow...if you already have hubs and all you need is spokes and the rims, you could I think stay close to $200. They come in white or black, unless something has changed. The white is a little "crazy" if that's what you're going for.

Strong, light and wide. Plus can be run tubeless with most tires only using valve and tape.

usually cranky
    flows, sun eq 29s, dt 5.1s, mavic 521s, wtb tcs am races, there are many good wide, lightish, strong rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Also Sun SOS (now Funn XLRATER)
    Syncros DS28 (now Halo Freedom)

Though everyone normally just goes with the hype and recommends Stans (Sun) Flow's. Blah blah blah they are stronger than god, blah blah hype. I see the Flow as an EN521 or DTEX500 with it's nipple eyelets removed. Genius. How did they make them so light? LOL

Edited to add: but you are only 170lbs, so basically you'll be ok on most rims around +450g probably.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    Stans Flow rims are my personal favorite. Light, wide, and tubeless. They are a bit pricy, but worth it IMO. Strength is just a bit lower than a true DH rim
    Says who? Science? LOL

Let the good times roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9speed View Post
    Says who? Science? LOL
    No. Just my opinion based on a few years of abusing the hell out of wheels. Most of my riding buddies are on Mavic 821s, Transition 32s, or similar. My Flows stay pretty true in comparison, but dent a bit easier if I get careless in rocks. I wouldn't hesitate to use Flows even on a dedicated DH rig. I'd just plan to rebuild every year or 2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    No. Just my opinion based on a few years of abusing the hell out of wheels. Most of my riding buddies are on Mavic 821s, Transition 32s, or similar. My Flows stay pretty true in comparison, but dent a bit easier if I get careless in rocks. I wouldn't hesitate to use Flows even on a dedicated DH rig. I'd just plan to rebuild every year or 2.
    It's nothing personal. I just seriously doubt that there are many people on this forum that could categorically state a Flow rim is superior to say an EN521 or EX500 or EQ27 etc, etc. Personally I doubt that it is stronger than an EX500 or EN521. How can it be? It's a 470g rim, albeit with eyelets it would have been 500g! What magic has made it stronger than everything on the market? If the Stan's rims were no more expensive than DT or Mavic, there wouldn't be so much hype. There is some mechanical advantage to height in a rim sidwwall, it isn't just about internal and external rim width. I am not saying Flow's are bad, I've never tried a set, but I am saying it gets boring now that they are the only recommendation that people make. Most of us don't have a day to day experience of swapping out rims, and hammering the ground, on all those different wheels... and of course the build itself comes into play.. so really most rim recommendations made on this forum and others don't count for much.. and if I read another posting asking for rim recommendations where someone says you might as well take Hope's Stan's option because it seems better value cos Stan's rims cost more than a Rothschild wank, I will scream!

Maybe it is nice to have a bit of Made In Switzerland or Made in France on the bike eh? Instead of always bloody Tawan.

Ride and Smile
    Says who? Science? LOL
    My stans rims on my dh bike have out lasted dt 5's or 6's by far. But I'm not gonna say that they are as strong as a dh rim. I will say they are a great option for hard trail riding and for some people - dh riding. But they don't really fit the requirements of this thread because of cost.

Let the good times roll.
    It's nothing personal. I just seriously doubt that there are many people on this forum that could categorically state a Flow rim is superior to say an EN521 or EX500 or EQ27 etc, etc. Personally I doubt that it is stronger than an EX500 or EN521. How can it be? It's a 470g rim, albeit with eyelets it would have been 500g! What magic has made it stronger than everything on the market? If the Stan's rims were no more expensive than DT or Mavic, there wouldn't be so much hype. There is some mechanical advantage to height in a rim sidwwall, it isn't just about internal and external rim width. I am not saying Flow's are bad, I've never tried a set, but I am saying it gets boring now that they are the only recommendation that people make. Most of us don't have a day to day experience of swapping out rims, and hammering the ground, on all those different wheels... and of course the build itself comes into play.. so really most rim recommendations made on this forum and others don't count for much.. and if I read another posting asking for rim recommendations where someone says you might as well take Hope's Stan's option because it seems better value cos Stan's rims cost more than a Rothschild wank, I will scream!

Maybe it is nice to have a bit of Made In Switzerland or Made in France on the bike eh? Instead of always bloody Tawan.
    It's all good. I didn't take it personally. I don't think Flows are necessarily stronger than other good quality AM rims. Like you said, the build is also a big factor in wheel strength. The main reason I like Flows is reliable and simple tubeless set up. I get enough punctures in my tires that I really appreciate sealant, and I ride hard enough to need a rim/tire combination that doesn't burp air easily. I'm also a big fan of wide rims that give a nice, fat profile to 2.3 tires and bigger. The list of wide, light, rims that set up tubeless well is pretty short. Flow, Bontrager Ranger, DT EX500, maybe a couple others I can't think of now.

If not for tubeless, there are several other rims I'd consider putting on my bike. It's unfortunate that some nice tubeless rims are only available in factory assembled wheelsets with proprietary spokes and nipples like the Mavic Crossmax SX and Easton Havoc.

try and catch me
    Mar 2011

Awesome imput. I ended up picking up some Spank TWEET 28 rims. I had them laced up at the local bike world. They are awesome, came from Britain, super strong, a lot lighter than my last set, and they are kinda showy, which I like. I'll post a pic in a minute

try and catch me
    Mar 2011

RIMS ? would like some input-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361808244.786870.jpg