Thread: Rim width?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Rim width?

I have a Santa Cruz Superlight I use for trail blazing. I like to use the widest tire I can fit on the bike, 2.1 Panaracers but the sidewalls on the tires get worn from the rocks. I want to put wider rims on my bike and was thinking of DT Swiss. What would be the name of the rim for rim brakes.
    Bill

'95 Raleigh 400, STX-RC (road, touring)
    '00 Santa Cruz Superlight, XTR
    (Northern N.J.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just make sure to look for a CNC'd sidewall. They will typically have it listed as one of the specs of the wheel frame. Also, compare the pics of the wheel you're considering on the actual manufacturer's website. You'll know what the difference is by looks. A tall sidewall is usually an indicator of rim brake compatibility.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was looking on the web site and didn't see a model for rim brakes. I'm assuming I need 26mm width.
    Bill

(Northern N.J.)

T.W.O
    Go to google. Type in Rim Brake Wheelsets, and you'll get a lot of options. Seesh.

usually cranky
    what rims do you have on there now? at most i think the largest inner width is around 19mm for rim brakes.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    what rims do you have on there now? at most i think the largest inner width is around 19mm for rim brakes.
    Ummm...no. The Rhyno Lite is ~22mm inside. And the Kris Holm unicycle rims are WAY wider.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by INABIL
    I have a Santa Cruz Superlight I use for trail blazing. I like to use the widest tire I can fit on the bike, 2.1 Panaracers but the sidewalls on the tires get worn from the rocks. I want to put wider rims on my bike and was thinking of DT Swiss. What would be the name of the rim for rim brakes.
    DT does not have a wide rim brake rim. Sun, velocity, Kris Holm, Alex and others do.

But if anything, a wider rim exposes the tire to more sidewall damage.

Fire XC 2.1 are not a high volume casing in any case.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by INABIL
    Wider rims will make your existing tires wider too. How wide of a rear tire can you fit on the Super light?

Are weight target for your new rims?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    Wider rims will make your existing tires wider too. How wide of a rear tire can you fit on the Super light?

Are weight target for your new rims?
    I don't know the size. 2.1 is a tight fit on my bike. I'd like to keep it pretty light.
    I went to the Mavic sight and seen the rim I want there. I don't want a whole wheel set, just the rim.
    Bill

(Northern N.J.)

~Disc~Golf~
    Wider rims will make your existing tires wider too. How wide of a rear tire can you fit on the Super light?...
    Not necessarily, but wider rims WILL expose more sidewall - and is the opposite of the solution to the OP's problems (cut/worn sidewalls from rocks)

**Side-Note - Not that you can't ride "AM" with 2.1" tires, but that's more XC for sure...The 'Whee;s and Tires' forum would have been a better choice IMO - Man, I sound like a dick - apologies
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks.
    Bill

(Northern N.J.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Not necessarily, but wider rims WILL expose more sidewall - and is the opposite of the solution to the OP's problems (cut/worn sidewalls from rocks)

**Side-Note - Not that you can't ride "AM" with 2.1" tires, but that's more XC for sure...The 'Whee;s and Tires' forum would have been a better choice IMO - Man, I sound like a dick - apologies
    Wouldn't wider rims widen the footprint of any tire? ie give them more of a rounded shape?

~Disc~Golf~
    Widen footprint? - likely, but nominal - more rounded? more 'rounded' than what?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    You just need a tire more geared for rocks with harder rubber on the side knobs. When I run a lighter or duel compound tire I tear them up on rocks and there's not much you can do but get a harder compound tire IMO. If you HAVE to run light tires then you'll just have to get a set every season or less. I'm surprised that you can't run up to a 2.3 tire. I like 2.1 in the back and 2.3 up front, at least for XC anyway.

Wouldn't wider rims widen the footprint of any tire? ie give them more of a rounded shape?
    No and no. You get rounder tires on narrower rims. Wider rims tend to square off a tire, especially when the rim width gets close to the tire design width.

Every tire has an optimum rim width where it has maximum width/volume. Go beyond that and the tire starts getting smaller again.

For grins I put a 1.75" (45mm) tire on a 45mm rim and the tire looked like an arch.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Lots of grins here!