View Poll Results: Which rims for a good AM build?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • DT Swiss EX 5.1

25 41.67%
  • Mavic EX 721

14 23.33%
  • Syncros DS 28

5 8.33%
  • Other (please elaborate)

16 26.67%

Thread: Rim poll

Brackish

Rim poll

I'm building up an AM wheelset for my Coiler in a month or two, looking for opinions on the rims listed above (or any other useful suggestions). Use will be all around trail riding,from pure XC to some Shore stuff but nothing bigger than a 5-6 foot drop to transition (I have a big bike for the really rough stuff) so I need a good mix of durability and moderate weight. The bike is a Coiler Deluxe and the rest of the build will be Hope Pro IIs with DT Swiss Competition spokes & brass nips.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    stans, 819's

Brackish
    Kinda suprised by the prevalence of votes for the DTs, I had heard they are soft. Not the case?

TLL
    mtbr member
    if you are a big guy, the WTB LaserDisk FR is a good choice. Otherwise the DT.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Mavic 819s or 823s.

I weight 175 and get 1-2 seasons out of 819's riding tokul east, tiger, galby, etc.
    I have 823's on the bigger bike and they take everything I can dish out, but they are 200g heavier than the 819's.

Brackish
    819's eh? Hadn't considered those, can I run those with tubes? I'm partial to 2.3 Nevies and I've never heard anything good about them as a tubeless tire.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    819's eh? Hadn't considered those, can I run those with tubes? I'm partial to 2.3 Nevies and I've never heard anything good about them as a tubeless tire.
    yep, no problem. I ran 2.4 maxxis Advantages with tubes for a bit this summer.

Brackish
    Cool, thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Bontrager Duster Rim. 28mm wide, welded, OSB and they are around 460 grams a piece. I have even seen them on Trek's new Session (custom build). Downside is that they can only be ordered from a trek dealer for around $70-$80.

Shred all that can be
    Azonic Outlaw The Best Rim Ever .
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

Brackish
    I taco'd one on a relatively innocuous roll out at Whistler a couple of seasons ago, I'll never buy another set. But for heavy duty rims I've got the Mavic 729s on my Dirtbag. Great rim, bomb proof.

So if I read Mavic's parts numbering system correctly, the 719 is the non-UST version of the 819, right?

Huh?
    Spinergy Xyclone Enduros. They come laced with Hadley internals, and cost only 569 on eBay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    So if I read Mavic's parts numbering system correctly, the 719 is the non-UST version of the 819, right?
    Thats correct.

And my money, for the OP would be with 819s.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Stan's Flow.
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

Seeeriously easy Livin
    why would the op want 819s when he doesnt want to run tubless, he might as well get the 721 which are just a bit heavier, but wider and stronger.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Something not often mentioned about Mavic Tubeless rims.
    They do not have 32-36 holes drilled through the inner walls, like their non-tubeless counterparts. This makes them both heavier and stronger than mavic's non-UST rims.

Carbuncle, I build all my own wheels and have had great luck with Mavic rims. IMHO nothing "builds" like a mavic. (yes I have also built wheels with DT & bontrager rims). I'm not sure what's right for you though, since I don't know your weight or riding style even though I think we ride many of the same trails. If you have no interest in running tubeless ever, the 721 might be the ticket. I think the 819's are as light as I would go for our local trails, so I would avoid the 719 (just an 819 with 32 holes drilled through the inner wall).

A lot of people want something between the 819 and 823 for "all mountain" riding... you could do the 823 with 1.8 (15 guage) spokes to help split the difference weight-wise. if you go with any of the mavic UST rims, make sure 16mm brass nipples are used (regular nipples are 12mm I think)
    Last edited by FM; 11-09-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Back at it and LOVIN' it!
    Stock DT 445Ds on my Pitch Pro - I'm going to ride them ragged then upgrade
    Ride Hard - Ride Safe - Have Fun

Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Something not often mentioned about Mavic Tubeless rims.
    They do not have 32-36 holes drilled through the inner walls, like their non-tubeless counterparts. This makes them both heavier and stronger than mavic's non-UST rims.

Carbuncle, I build all my own wheels and have had great luck with Mavic rims. IMHO nothing "builds" like a mavic. (yes I have also built wheels with DT & bontrager rims). I'm not sure what's right for you though, since I don't know your weight or riding style even though I think we ride many of the same trails. If you have no interest in running tubeless ever, the 721 might be the ticket. I think the 819's are as light as I would go for our local trails, so I would avoid the 719 (just an 819 with 32 holes drilled through the inner wall).

A lot of people want something between the 819 and 823 for "all mountain" riding... you could do the 823 with 1.8 (15 guage) spokes to help split the difference weight-wise. if you go with any of the mavic UST rims, make sure 16mm brass nipples are used (regular nipples are 12mm I think)
    I'm about 230 without gear, and we do ride a the same trails. I'm not interested in making the tubeless switch right now, I definitely have heard enough bad reports from folks around here about the DTs that they aren't really on my list. I'm not thinking a 460 gram rim like the 719 is going to handle me sending it on the 911 drop or the 1st diving board on Evo (which is about the worst these wheels will have to take, although I may use the Coiler for Fromme once I swap forks) so I think your suggestion of the 721 is pretty solid. I want to drop weight, but not in places where it really will affect durability. Thanks again for the input, hopefully we'll catch up sometime on the trails! ANd thanks to everyone else who has given input and voted, it has helped alot.

mtbr member
    Whatever you do don't opt for the Syncros 28's - those are the WORST rims I've ever seen! My buddy spent the whole time in the shop at Whistler with those taco'd POS rims!

Mavic 823's are much MUCH stronger than 5.1's and don't have to be run tubeless. The 721's would be a fine choice as well since Mavic's dent less on average.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 11-10-2008 at 02:10 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Brackish
    I may just end up buying a set of the Easton Havocs, nice weight, nice price and a good rep so far.

Double-metric mtb man
    Here's another vote for the 819's. I'm a clyde (235lb + gear) and have had no issues with my 819's (Pro II's and DT comp spokes)....including some park riding.

If you're going to push DH or FR stuff, the 823's are stronger, wider versions of the same. Yes, they can be run tubed or tubeless.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me