mtbr member
    May 2006

Rim durability vs. rider weight (Mavic)

Just ordered a Titus Moto-Lite, which I am planning to use with Kenda Nevegals, 2.35" single ply folding bead tires.

Question is: do I get the Mavic XC717 disc rims?? or Mavic XM819 disc rims??

I do mainly aggressive/technical trail biking and some light FR/DH.

I'm 147 lb with just my socks on!

On the one hand the XC717's are lighter & slightly cheaper, but don't know how much abuse they can take...??

On the other hand I think the XM819's can handle well the FR/DH aspect of my riding, but maybe since I'm light weight, I can get away with a lighter rim...??

Thanks for any advise you can give me.

Mike

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecy
    Question is: do I get the Mavic XC717 disc rims??
    I'm close to your weight and ran the 717's with the 2.35 Nevs (along with various other tires). I freaking hated those rims. Too narrow for big tires + low-ish pressures and they would dimple and go out of true at the drop of a hat. My wife (120lb) also has the 717 on her Moto Lite and as she is getting faster she is having the same problem. 717 are just no good on very rocky terrain IMHO. Land on the wrong thing and look what happens (notice the crack).

DT Swiss 5.1 rims look to be a better alternative to the 819.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Natural body armor
    Woa! What pressure are you running?

I had the 717 for almost 1 year now and I weight 216#. I was concerned at the beginning, but they seem to be holding well to me.
    I don't do any crazy stuff, pretty small drops and I usually run beween 30 and 40 psi depending on the terrain/trail....

also use pretty large volume tires (Mutanos 2.4 and Nevegals 2.35) without particular issues so far...
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If you underinflate any tire, the rim will do that

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    717 is pretty strong but not recommended for anything wider than a 2.4. I would go with a wider rim if you do drops and anything rocky. The larger tires don't behave too well on the narrow rims because they ger "rolled up" or balloned because the rim is a LOT narrower than the tread. The XM819 is a little heavy for my taste and you are pretty lite so I would go with a DT5.1 like Steve71 have mentioned. But if you really abuse rims then XM819 would be a better choice. I heard bombproof is a tough, wide and kinda light rim, might be worth a try.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by SPDu4ea
    If you underinflate any tire, the rim will do that
    I was running the same pressure that I had been all season 36psi (I'm about 150lb).
    If you like to jump, drop and to ride the DH at speed here in Colorado then you'll need moderate pressures with large volume tires - the 717's just don't work that well for that application, even if you are light.
    Last edited by Steve71; 06-19-2006 at 01:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Given the choice, I would go with the 819's over the 717's. Having owned both 819/XT and Crossmax XL wheelsets, I think Mavic makes a good combination of weight vs. strength with the advantage UST. However....

If you don't mind using tubes, I would say look into the DT Swiss EX5.1d's. They are the same weight as the 819s with the FORE nipples, 500g. The 5.1's are 28mm (whereas 819's are 24mm) and are seriously stronger. I built a set with DT Supercomp spokes and use them on my freeride bike and forgot I wasn't running my Deemaxes... no complaints from the rims.

-sus13

bob
    mtbr member
    I just started looking into this very subject today. I thought the DT5.1 was heavier than XM819......500grms vs. 450grms? I could be wrong.

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    I just started looking into this very subject today. I thought the DT5.1 was heavier than XM819......500grms vs. 450grms? I could be wrong.
    I could be wrong with the weight on mavics. Mavic change their model number and weight every year. It's really hard to figure out which rim is for what from Mavic.

Paste eater
    Don't the Mavics have some sort of proprietary nipple or something that add a bit more weight? At any rate If were heckling abour 50 (or less) on a wheelset than this thread should be moved to XC board.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by sus13
    If you don't mind using tubes, I would say look into the DT Swiss EX5.1d's.
    There is a tubless kit for the 5.1's. I'm running a 5.1 rim with a Enduro Pro 2.4 2bliss (UST) tire on the rear, and so far is has been great.

mtbr member
    I would go with the 819's on your MotoLite.
    With that being said, I have 717's on my Hardtail but I run 2.0 or 2.1 tires max on them and use it strictly for XC and weight 220 with gear.
    The 717's are a narrow, XC rim, even at your lighter weight.

I have 317's (predecessor to the 717) on my Slayer and am running the OEM 2.35 tires. They work fine but my LBS told me I have several dings to it.

I'm sure a wider rim would be better with the big rubber as well.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

Feeding your addiction
    Mavic's listed weights are way off, while DT's are dead on. 819's weigh 510-515g, the 5.1 weighs 500g and are 4mm wider. There is also a tubeless kit for the 5.1, so you can run UST tires if you want.
    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    When I rebuilt a 2005 XM819 disc wheel some time back, I decided to weigh it just for kicks. The rim was 450g and another 50g for the fore nipples.. which screw into the rim to secure the nipple/spoke. The published weight at the time was 465g.

When I weighed the DT Swiss EX5.1d, it was spot with the manufacturer's 500g claimed weight.

... anyway, very close in my opinion. You can see in the picture below that my front wheel built with DT Swiss Super Comp 1.8/1.7/2.0 spokes and ProLock alloy nipples is a light 850g without the snow... attached to a freeride bike.

-sus13

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    There is a tubless kit for the 5.1's. I'm running a 5.1 rim with a Enduro Pro 2.4 2bliss (UST) tire on the rear, and so far is has been great.
    Was it easy to install? From the instructions I read you have to squeeze the sealant through the valve of a 45psi inflated tire. Sounds messy.

-sus13

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by sus13
    Was it easy to install? From the instructions I read you have to squeeze the sealant through the valve of a 45psi inflated tire. Sounds messy.

-sus13

Ha ha. That had me scratching my head for a moment or two as well. The instructions tell you to pump up the tire, then unscrew the valve, then squeeze in the sealant. When you unscrew the valve, all the air comes out of the tire. I guess the initial inflation is to seat the bead. FWIW I didn't need a compressor I just used a hand pump. All up, it was very easy to install.

Larry (Ventanarama) has great prices on these rims.
    Last edited by Steve71; 06-19-2006 at 01:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Another vote for 5.1d

I love that rim... very light, strong, and the builder said very easy to make true.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Go with the 819s. You're light, but the 717 is a bit too light for DH / FR.

Having said that, if you get a really well built 717 wheel, that's properly tensioned, you may get away with it for a few years.

Feeling lucky?

The 819 is a strong UST wheel that doesn't require any kits to run UST tires tubeless. I't a it overkill for XC, but perfect for your FR and DH.

Custom User Title
    I've been beatting up on two sets of Mav 823's.

They are on my trail bike and my DH bike. I was in Whistler and landed a jump then blew out the rear tire and rode about 100 yards on the rim in the rocks. I used some sandpaper to take down the burs, remounted a new tire and I'm still riding it tubless.

The 823's aren't the lightest or the cheapest but you never have to give them any thought. Out of both sets I have needed to true them about once every other year.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    please refraim of using such imagery! Unless you are some sort of female model or something.

trail fairy
    Try the 5.1, I have one being built up this week looking forward to the wider rim, I wouldn't have changed only for the fact I came up short on a 4m gap jump, my wheel held up though a ding and a little crease near the valve hole, I don't trust it for my weight or jumping so decided to change, I choose the DT 5.1 for the extra width 28mm more than anything as for some time I feel the narrower rim has a effect on the charaterisics of the tires, plus it should support the sidewall better, will try this weekend Ive cleared the gap jump since with the damaged rim so feel confident I will be sweet with the 5.1.

Ps Mavics are OK but I think they are overated, a little soft, DT Swiss rims are also built in the US now I believe and are gaining strength, will be good to see if they are as good as there spokes, my choice for wheel building period, never had a failed DT spoke.

Good luck
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sgaarmy
    please refraim of using such imagery! Unless you are some sort of female model or something.
    oh yea
    Team MOJO Wheels.