Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Rider weight and PSI

For tubeless riders, how heavy are you and what psi are you running? You can list your tires too... Been thinking about running higher pressure but wanted to see what others have experience with too.

I'm 195 lb and run between 30 and 35 psi on 2.4 purgatory f, 2.3 captain r. Was thinking about taking a few rides at 38 to 40 psi. I ride mostly hard pack with some loose bits here and there and tons of roots. I get some tire rollover on hard corners but the psi seems to work well overall.

What about you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    According to the Stan's site you should divide your weight by 7 and add 2 for the back, subtract 1 for the front.

So for you 30 in back, 27 in front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Stans site is a general guideline and a good place to start, but it's not for everyone. It pans out for my rear tire, but if I ran 29 psi on my front tire, I'd lose confidence in it. For my weight, anything less than 32psi feels like it wanders.

I'm 204. 212 with my pack full of water.

204/7(+2)(-1)= 31r, 28f
    212/7(+2)(-1)= 32r, 29f

I run 32-34 psi both f/r terrain depending. 2.35" Kenda Excavator UST DTC

(I also think the guideline is more for general xc than aggressive riding)

Sent from my daggum phone because I have no life.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good point. I definitely should have included that it's a guideline.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I weigh 185 and my pump says I run 20 psi. 2.5 nevegal front, 2.3 Hans damph rear. Although I unweight for bigger stuff I still hear the rim ping from time to time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    220+lbs. Setup with ghetto tubeless on mavic xm321 rims. Running a Schwalbe Hans Dampf up front at about 25psi. And a Conti Trail King 2.2 UST out back at about 27psi. Could probably go lower.

Have one friend on Flow EXs running HD's front and rear tubeless at both sub 20psi with no problem. Would guess his weight is around 175lbs.

mtbr member
    210 geared up
    Hans in front at 22
    Nobby Nic 2.4 out back at 25

On a Remedy 9 in the rocks ( Vegas )

Bump it up 2-3 psi for shuttle runs

Sent using BOTH my thumbs

EDR
    190lbs geared up. Currently run a 2.4 Purg Grid UST up front and a UST 2.4 Trail King in back. I ride right around 30psi in back and less in front. I honestly don't check the psi too much but just go by feel these days. Riding at 35 or 38psi is just way too much for me. Too bouncy and not enough conformity with the tires over the rough terrain I ride.

If I rode smoother trails that were relatively rock free I'd probably up the psi.

father, mountain biker
    I'm 200 lbs and run 50 psi with tubes and 40 psi tubeless on a FS with 140mm travel front and 130mm rear. I ride moderately rocky terrain on Mount Tam and vicinity. I know that's higher psi then most folks run, but soft squishy tires just don't fell right to me, especially coming from a HT background. I hate the feeling of rollover when cornering and would rather use an appropriate tire tread to get traction and grip than a lower psi.
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    at about 220lbs geared up i run the Hans Dampf up front with about 27psi and a purgatory control in the rear with about 28/29 psi. i was able to run a HD in the rear with 26/27, but the purgatory likes just a little bit more or can end up burping on me.

tire pressure really is personally preference, and what works for you. typically the lower you can get and still feel comfortable the better traction you will get for turns and climbing. higher pressures will decrease rolling resistance some.
    Juice

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    I started another thread on this topic yesterday and gotta totally disagree with the Stan's rider weight / 7 calculation. Geax has an app on iPhone and android called iTire Pressure. This app tells you what the recommended pressure is based on your weight, riding terrain and size of tire. --- size meaning 26, 27 or 29, not the width.

so according to Geax (which also makes Vittoria road tires), my 29er tires on hardpack should run 32/35 (I am over 220) and my 145 lb gf should run 23/26. So if I used the Stans calculation I would be at 39 lbs in the front which is way too much to get a good grip even on hardpack.

Also, there is no differentiation between types of tires in the software. So whether you're running bigass 2.5 Saguaros or Contis, or low volume 2.0 barro race xc like I run, the pressure calculation is the same.
    Last edited by BIGABIGD; 08-09-2012 at 02:50 AM. Reason: typo
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I weigh 190 ready to ride.

Continental Trail King 2.4 on Flow rim: 25-28 psi
    Specialized Chunder Control 2.2 on Mavic 117 rim: 26 - 28 psi
    Specialized Ground Control Control 2.1 on Mavic 117 rim: 31-35 psi
    WTB Wolverine 2.2 UST on Flow rim: 28-30 psi

Volume and casing plays a large role in tire pressure, along with rim width and condition.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hmm. Might try running lower for a ride and bumping it up for a ride and see how it goes.

GAME ON!
    that stan's guideline would have me at 23/22 psi. that seems way off. i know, i know, it's just a guideline.

i currently run about 28 psi in both @ 145lbs
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    you should get better traction and less resistance by going a bit lower than what you currently run.
    i usually do 23/26psi on 2.25 nobby nics. i weigh 175lbs.

GAME ON!
    i always thought the rear should be softer for traction, but it seems most run their rear tires a little firmer than the front.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm 210 lbs and I run 30f 35r. Both are specialized eskars. Oh and my internal rim width is 25mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    215 lb, Nobby Nic 2.4" front and rear. Very rocky, slow, technical riding with no more than 3' drops to flat. 28-29 psi rear, 25-26 front. Tubeless on Stan's rims.

Never burps or bottoms out unless I skip airing up for a week or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Do all of you run the same size rims? It makes a lot or difference. That stans calculation is BS. Like the only factor is your weight. What about tire/rim size, terrain , ridding style. Some people say go as low as you can with out folding tires. Its personal and has more to do with how you ride then anything else..... I don't even check psi just squeeze that bad boy and see if it feels right .

Helmetless Crasher
    215 lbs

27 rear
    25 front

2.25 TL-ready Rocket Ron run with Slime Pro on mavic slr rims

I get just a wee bit of squirm in fast off-camber turns at this psi, otherwise this set-up flat out rocks.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    i always thought the rear should be softer for traction, but it seems most run their rear tires a little firmer than the front.
    Rear tire is more likely to pinch flat, and front tire is more painful to wash out.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Rear tire is more likely to pinch flat, and front tire is more painful to wash out.
    i run tubeless with sealant. no such thing as a pinch flat.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Wrong...lol...I rookie'd a creek crossing and pinched a ust tire.

Sent from my daggum phone because I have no life.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    at 6'2", 245 i'm running 30-ish in the rear and 30-35 up front. i'm still getting the hang of things and for the moment this seems to work out well.

front: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29-2.35
    rear Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4

it's not an expert opinion but it works for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've been running tubeless for quite some time, on my Heckler, my singlespeed Flash, and my downhill Giant. On the Heckler (which I do an equal amount of climbing and decending) I run 18 front and 21 rear. On the singlespeed, which is full rigid, I run 11 front and rear, on 2.5 tires, as its my only suspension. On the downhill, I run 21 front and 24 rear, just for the larger hits. Tubeless is amazing. Best upgrade made. I weigh about 150 fully geared.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast