mtbr member

Reverb won't hold full pressure - vertical play

I have a 2012 model. It has been flawless for ~16 months.

Yesterday, it started to have vertical play when extended, about 5-10mm of play. I checked pressure and it was at 100psi. Filled to 250 and the play went away, but a few cycles up and down and it started again. Checked pressure again and it was back down to 100psi.

If I fill it to 250 it will hold nicely until I drop it down a few times and then it seems to loose pressure and starts having vertical play.

Also noticed hissing in the headset where the frame was moving air each time the post was dropped and extended. This does not seem right. Also, the pressure seems to hold (even with up and down cycles) until I Install it in the frame which is super odd.

My main question is:
    Is this something that can be fixed with basic seals or is it most likely more complex? I have not tired bleeding it yet, but I don't see how that would have anything to do with air loss.

It is less than 2 years old and should be under warranty, but I purchased from Amazon, so it could be a bit difficult to get it warrantied. I have multiple bikes, so this unit only has about 30hrs of use on it.

TIA for any help. I tired reading the 50 page reverb thread but could not find a clear answer.

usually cranky
    a) give it a good full system bleed. not sure it will help but when you hit a wall its worth a try.

b) im not sure but i dont think on the reverb you are supposed to mess with the air pressure. if a doesnt work id send it back to sram for a rebuild. pretty sure reverbs are unfriendly to home mechanics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    a) give it a good full system bleed. not sure it will help but when you hit a wall its worth a try.

b) im not sure but i dont think on the reverb you are supposed to mess with the air pressure. if a doesnt work id send it back to sram for a rebuild. pretty sure reverbs are unfriendly to home mechanics.
    Right, you are not suppose to adjust the pressure. It is suppose to be set at 250psi. Mine is simply loosing pressure.

There is SRAM video that shows how to replace the seals. It looks simple, but I don't want to waste my time if that won't solve the air leak.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Its not losing pressure, there is air mixed with the oil. It needs a rebuild.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-luder View Post
    Its not losing pressure, there is air mixed with the oil. It needs a rebuild.
    Yea, that sort of makes sense with how it is acting. It is loosing air in the air spring, but I guess it is making its way into the main tube causing the vertical play. Strange how pumping it back to 250 seemed resolve the movement, but I guess it is such a small volume of air that it is hard to detect when the air sping strong enough to move the oil around.

I also just realized that this video Reverb seatpost service - part 1 - YouTube

basically says if the seat has vertical play like mine you need to send it to an authorized service center. Considering it is a 4 part complete rebuild video, it must be something extremely difficult to resolve.

Hopefully, I can get it warrantied.