Reverb Sag - drops 1/2"

Printable View

• 01-03-2013
    onobed
    Reverb Sag - drops 1/2"
    About half of the time I sit on my Reverb, the post drops about 1/2". If it were 100% of the time I would simply lower the clamp height.

Has anyone come across this issue and has anyone figured out a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
  • 01-04-2013
    kcvpr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    About half of the time I sit on my Reverb, the post drops about 1/2". If it were 100% of the time I would simply lower the clamp height.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the remote/line needs to be bled, but I dont know too much about reverbs. :thumbsup:
  • 01-04-2013
    rob woodyow
    Had the same problem with mine. I discovered the o ring on the valve which is activated by the remote, was damaged. This valve sits under the seat, on top of the seat post. I would suggest sending it to Rock shox for rebuilding. Rebuilding the reverb requires a few special tools and fairly high mechanical aptitude to re assemble. Rob.
  • 01-04-2013
    Dr Wankel
    Its most likely going to have to be sent in for a rebuild or replaced. The IFP may have just lost some pressure and need to be topped back off. You can try bleeding the lever but I'd guess that there is a deeper rooted seal issue that is causing the problem.

My 2012 model post started doing the same thing last November after about 600 miles of use. In my case the IFP would not hold pressue, though others in the Reverb thread have mentioned having similar issues with the post still holding 250psi. My LBS rebuilt it with the seals they had on hand, I suspect they didn't completely tear it down though and I was having the same problem on the first ride after the rebuild, within about 5 miles of leaving the trailhead, and it failed completely (went all the way down and would not support any weight) before I made it back to the trailhead.

Rockshox replaced the post outright with a new 2013 model which I received last week. I haven't gotten out to ride with the new post yet but it is a bit louder when extending and extends much faster than the old post did. I'm not sure what if any changes were made, other that the speed adjust knob being black, but so far so good...
  • 01-04-2013
    b-kul
    do a full remote bleed, hope it works. if not send it back to sram.
  • 01-04-2013
    hardboiled
    check the air pressure, make sure it's at 250psi. my post has sagged the same way when the air pressure has been low.
  • 01-04-2013
    eurospek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    check the air pressure, make sure it's at 250psi. my post has sagged the same way when the air pressure has been low.

Mine does the same thing as the OP's and it has the proper air pressure. I still haven't sent mine in but will be doing so soon. Just kinda awkward walking into the LBS to have them send to SRAM when I bought mine online lol.
  • 01-05-2013
    Lil' Red
    Mine did it, only problem I had with it really. Went to the LBS the other day and I will get a 2013 by the end of next week :)
  • 01-05-2013
    Lil' Red
    It was the O-ring for me as well
  • 01-06-2013
    onobed
    Okay LBS bled the control line and I still have the issue. I asked them to rma but they wouldn't since I didn't get it from them. It was a gift. I will try another shop tomorrow, but in the interim does any one have any suggestions?
  • 01-06-2013
    prancisfena
    Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Bleed it. If the problem persists, that's when you bring it to the shop.

Had the same problem and bleeding it fixed things.
  • 01-06-2013
    Lil' Red
    Quote:

Okay LBS bled the control line and I still have the issue. I asked them to rma but they wouldn't since I didn't get it from them. It was a gift. I will try another shop tomorrow, but in the interim does any one have any suggestions?

Get the maintenance kit, has the new o-rings and what not, that would probably help. How long have you been riding on it? how many bleeds so far?
  • 01-07-2013
    presslab
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Mine does the same thing as the OP's and it has the proper air pressure. I still haven't sent mine in but will be doing so soon. Just kinda awkward walking into the LBS to have them send to SRAM when I bought mine online lol.

My LBS charged me $25 to warranty my Reverb post for this exact problem. :madmax: Emailed SRAM and they backed it up, so I asked if that was their official position if they wouldn't mind me posting it to an internet forum. Of course they said not to; that shows how they operate! I'm fed up with SRAM and decided I really have no reason to use any of their products on my bikes any more. Anyone want to buy a brand new 31.6 Reverb?
  • 01-07-2013
    eurospek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by presslab View Post
    My LBS charged me $25 to warranty my Reverb post for this exact problem. :madmax: Emailed SRAM and they backed it up, so I asked if that was their official position if they wouldn't mind me posting it to an internet forum. Of course they said not to; that shows how they operate! I'm fed up with SRAM and decided I really have no reason to use any of their products on my bikes any more. Anyone want to buy a brand new 31.6 Reverb?

I called them today and they confirmed, I need to go through a middle man (point of purchase) to warranty. Bonus is I'm in Chicago everyday where SRAM is located near downtown and I could simply drop it off but no.

I bought mine from REI and would just return it to them and buy/exchange for another one because of their policy but they don't have the size I need in stock anymore (31.6x420 120 travel right side remote), only stocking 30.9 in longer lengths and all left side remotes.

I'll try my luck with my LBS when I'll stop by for a wheel repair and hope for the best, or ultimately head back to REI's bike shop and have my fingers crossed. :D

Btw, how much you selling?
  • 01-07-2013
    kcvpr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by presslab View Post

My guess would be that they charge people the $25 to help protect LBS's from online sales. I know my LBS wouldn't charge their customers anything to warranty an item bought in its store. Unless in the rare case the manufacturer wont send them a prepaid shipping label, in which case depending on the situation someone has to end up eating the shipping bill...
  • 01-17-2013
    presslab
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kcvpr View Post
    My guess would be that they charge people the $25 to help protect LBS's from online sales. I know my LBS wouldn't charge their customers anything to warranty an item bought in its store. Unless in the rare case the manufacturer wont send them a prepaid shipping label, in which case depending on the situation someone has to end up eating the shipping bill...

Pretty sure it's against the law to require payment for a warranty.

Magnuson

I do feel the bike shop should be compensated, but not by me, by SRAM. The $25 included shipping (which SRAM did not cover) and the bike shop fee. SRAM are weasels, plain and simple.
  • 01-22-2013
    eurospek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Red View Post
    Mine did it, only problem I had with it really. Went to the LBS the other day and I will get a 2013 by the end of next week :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Red View Post
    It was the O-ring for me as well

So did you get a new post or just replaced the O-ring in your old one?

Either way, gotta love SRAM's customer service. Not. :skep:

Dropped of my 2012 Reverb at LBS to have sent for warranty last week and got a call back today. SRAM doesn't want to see my post at all. They can magically diagnose the problem it seems without evening touching it. My problem was that it sags in travel a few centimeters, started happening at the end of last season. Even after a full rebleed. I started riding in May, weekends only, and problem started in September. That's 5 months of riding, hardly a full season of hard riding for it to go broke so quickly.

SRAM ran my serial number, no Reverbs from that production batch came back for warranty and said they aren't taking mine back either. WTF. They said like any other suspension product it requires maintenance, 50 hrs/6 months for basic rebuild (kit costs under $10) or 100 hrs/1 year for a full rebuild (kit costs under $50).

All they offered was to send the basic rebuild kit to my LBS and that's it. LBS wants $50 to perform the service. I think I'll try my chances doing it myself first after watching a few vids, can't be rocket science.

OR simply return the post to REI (original place of purchase), save myself about $100 (as I paid close to $350 for it), and buy a new Reverb for $250 and ride another year.
  • 01-22-2013
    Scotth72
    Quote:

So did you get a new post or just replaced the O-ring in your old one?

Either way, gotta love SRAM's customer service. Not. :skep:

Dropped of my 2012 Reverb at LBS to have sent for warranty last week and got a call back today. SRAM doesn't want to see my post at all. They can magically diagnose the problem it seems without evening touching it. My problem was that it sags in travel a few centimeters, started happening at the end of last season. Even after a full rebleed. I started riding in May, weekends only, and problem started in September. That's 5 months of riding, hardly a full season of hard riding for it to go broke so quickly.

SRAM ran my serial number, no Reverbs from that production batch came back for warranty and said they aren't taking mine back either. WTF. They said like any other suspension product it requires maintenance, 50 hrs/6 months for basic rebuild (kit costs under $10) or 100 hrs/1 year for a full rebuild (kit costs under $50).

All they offered was to send the basic rebuild kit to my LBS and that's it. LBS wants $50 to perform the service. I think I'll try my chances doing it myself first after watching a few vids, can't be rocket science.

Why is this unreasonable? A suspension seat post is basically one leg of a suspension fork, with a lockout. That requires maintenance. The seat post is located where it gets hit by grime off the rear wheel. The seals are going to wear. It has to support huge load using hydraulic pressure, yet weigh around a pound. It is GOING to require maintenance. It is NOT going to last year after year, with no seal replacement.

Doing it yourself is probably not that hard, but you do need a bunch of special tools to do it. Check sram.com, and watch the video.
  • 01-22-2013
    eurospek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    Why is this unreasonable? A suspension seat post is basically one leg of a suspension fork, with a lockout. That requires maintenance. The seat post is located where it gets hit by grime off the rear wheel. The seals are going to wear. It has to support huge load using hydraulic pressure, yet weigh around a pound. It is GOING to require maintenance. It is NOT going to last year after year, with no seal replacement.

Doing it yourself is probably not that hard, but you do need a bunch of special tools to do it. Check sram.com, and watch the video.

I find SRAM's warranty procedure unreasonable. That's all. Especially after reading on here people are getting new posts under warranty left and right it seems.

The post started acting up way before the issues that I've had in September where it literally sags about an inch in travel when you sit on. Before it would only drop a few mm and I didn't want to be without it during the prime riding season here in the Midwest (it wasn't as noticeable). I would say a good 2.5 months into usage I first noticed the problem of sag, and being only a weekend rider, I hardly find that soon enough to warrant for maintenance or rebuilds of any kind, especially at how much these things run for.

What I would want from SRAM's warranty department is simple: being able to send the product back to them directly (not a LBS that may or may not be experienced in this area) and simply have them look over it. If it's a simple basic seal rebuild, go ahead and perform it. And then send me the bill for the service. That would be ideal. I'm not asking for free basic maintenance. But stating that my serial number of the post is problem-free without even seeing it is completely absurd because no other post from the same production batch had problems.

It just seems that some communication is lost with the middle man (LBS) and a lot more downtime is introduced (LBS calling SRAM, then LBS calling me for more details, and then getting back to SRAM), basically phone tag, and not to mention driving there and back which isn't convenient.

And I've watched the videos, the first was the 4-part full rebuild, seems like a lot. Then I found this basic seal rebuild video and it's not so bad.
  • 01-22-2013
    kroe
    The full system bleed is what will fix a borked reverb. The video is very good, but it is not a completely straight forward "follow the instructions and it will be right" procedure. I have done it three times and have had to repeat more than once on all three attempts.

The result was fine in the end, but tiny differences in how much oil you remove from the cavity on the top of the post will make or break the rebuild (too much left in there and you can't put the poppit and c clip back in, too little and it will have movement under pressure).

It's in my "not fun" category, where I would consider rebuilding Rock Shox forks extremely easy and certain to be right if you follow instructions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • 01-22-2013
    wiliswene
    I would suggest sending it to Rock shox for rebuilding. Rebuilding the reverb requires a few special tools and fairly high mechanical aptitude to re assemble.http://www.sdra.info/a17.jpg
  • 01-23-2013
    the-one1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wiliswene View Post
    I would suggest sending it to Rock shox for rebuilding. Rebuilding the reverb requires a few special tools and fairly high mechanical aptitude to re assemble.http://www.sdra.info/a17.jpg

That's what the guy wanted to do but SRAM said "NO, go through a shop", and then the shop said "show me the money".
  • 01-23-2013
    rael
    Quote:

I find SRAM's warranty procedure unreasonable. That's all. Especially after reading on here people are getting new posts under warranty left and right it seems.

The post started acting up way before the issues that I've had in September where it literally sags about an inch in travel when you sit on. Before it would only drop a few mm and I didn't want to be without it during the prime riding season here in the Midwest (it wasn't as noticeable). I would say a good 2.5 months into usage I first noticed the problem of sag, and being only a weekend rider, I hardly find that soon enough to warrant for maintenance or rebuilds of any kind, especially at how much these things run for.

What I would want from SRAM's warranty department is simple: being able to send the product back to them directly (not a LBS that may or may not be experienced in this area) and simply have them look over it. If it's a simple basic seal rebuild, go ahead and perform it. And then send me the bill for the service. That would be ideal. I'm not asking for free basic maintenance. But stating that my serial number of the post is problem-free without even seeing it is completely absurd because no other post from the same production batch had problems.

It just seems that some communication is lost with the middle man (LBS) and a lot more downtime is introduced (LBS calling SRAM, then LBS calling me for more details, and then getting back to SRAM), basically phone tag, and not to mention driving there and back which isn't convenient.

And I've watched the videos, the first was the 4-part full rebuild, seems like a lot. Then I found this basic seal rebuild video and it's not so bad.

SRAM isn't in the business of selling directly to customers. You buy from a retailer, your recourse for any warranty issues is through the retailer. Won't REI help? That is with whom I would be upset.

My original Reverb lasted 22 months, had a breakdown where it lost all air pressure, took it to the LBS (from where I originally purchased), had a brand new Reverb in a week. Still haven't had to bleed the new one in six months, they must have made some improvements since the first ones came out.

dave
    12 SB-66c