USB Rep'n

Rethinking my Heckler setup...

Love the bike but after being on it for 2 months (from swearing for years thatI'd never ride anything other than a hardtail for everything) Im questioning two of my specs and wondered what you all think. For starters, Im fairly light (165#) and I like to think pretty smooth (again, the hardtail thing). The two things I might have goofed on are the fork and wheels. I am running an 05 Marz AM1 (the brown one) 110/130 and DT 240/4.1d wheels. Both components are really really nice but I am feeling like I wish I had the 130/150 version of the fork and 5.1d hoops rather than the 4.1s (super skinny at 22mm). Between the fork and the fact that I run 2.35's on those skinny hoops, the front end jsut doesn't inspire confidence in the turns.

Am I way off on this or thinking right? If I need to change, I'd like to do it now before I have many miles on the stuff I'd sell (they are like new still since I spend more time on my park/urban bike than on my trail bike). So whatcha think? FYI, I want to keep things reasonably light and rarely do drops over 6' (they'd be to a nice tranny when over 6').

That's it...and here's how she's looking at the moment (only with an 8" front disc now)....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

suspension whore
    Agree on both counts.

I had the AM1 on my last ride, 5 1/2 travel rear.
    I ended up riding it in the 150mm position all the time and only using the eta when climbing long fire roads. After a while I stopped even doing that so my latest fork dosnt adjust or lock down and I'm not missing it at all... food for thought?

I also widened my rims after taco'ing the skinny racing ones. Bigger , wider tires did increase the feeling of confidence but rolling resistance also increases and you climb slower still.
    All good as far as i was concerned, I've yet to injure myself climbing anyway.
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    Agree on both counts.

I had the AM1 on my last ride, 5 1/2 travel rear.
    I ended up riding it in the 150mm position all the time and only using the eta when climbing long fire roads. After a while I stopped even doing that so my latest fork dosnt adjust or lock down and I'm not missing it at all... food for thought?

I also widened my rims after taco'ing the skinny racing ones. Bigger , wider tires did increase the feeling of confidence but rolling resistance also increases and you climb slower still.
    All good as far as i was concerned, I've yet to injure myself climbing anyway.
    Im with you on the eta thing. I never really found it useful on other Zokes Ive had either. I do use the ECC depending on terrain but I really never lower the fork. Since I only run it in 130 mode and still want a little more travel, maybe that answers that question. Then it begs the question of using a TA which makes me worry about weight....its just a vicious circle that spins on and on .

eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    Then it begs the question of using a TA which makes me worry about weight....its just a vicious circle that spins on and on .
    Thru-axle all the way, atleast that's the way I'm going (just haven't settled on fork/wheel combo yet. My 220 lb body needs teh stiffness...

From the spec's Ive looked at in different fork/wheel combo's...the weight gain isn't that bad.

Nice Heckler btw...:drool:

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by kramonut
    Nice Heckler btw...:drool:
    thanks bud. you know what it replaced.

eh-nay Ityopia!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    You're definatelly on the right track. 5.1s or Alex FD28 (same dimensions, hair lighter, way cheaper).

For the fork, you could go with the Z1 light, or even the 66SL (66 is actually 3.3mm shorter axle to crown than a Z series, and your generation AM1, and about 5mm shorter than the new generation All Mountains). Or you could wait for the Rock Shox Anthem to come out. That Heckler can take a lot of abuse and can land some large drops, friend of mine ran it with a 150mm Z1 last year and that bike took HUGE drops in stride. Big fork won't hurt your climbing much, neither, as my friend proved by being the best tech climber in the outfit.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i'd go for the taller fork as well. wheels, maybe later when/if you have a problem with the present ones. two of my riding buds are on hecklers with 130mm forks, and i keep trying to convince them a taller fork would make the bike a much better all 'rounder. just my opinion though.

i've been running 2.3-2.7 tires for a few years on 25mm wide rims, at pressures as low as 20psi without any trouble or blowoffs. YMMV.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    Love the bike but after being on it for 2 months (from swearing for years thatI'd never ride anything other than a hardtail for everything) Im questioning two of my specs and wondered what you all think. For starters, Im fairly light (165#) and I like to think pretty smooth (again, the hardtail thing). The two things I might have goofed on are the fork and wheels. I am running an 05 Marz AM1 (the brown one) 110/130 and DT 240/4.1d wheels. Both components are really really nice but I am feeling like I wish I had the 130/150 version of the fork and 5.1d hoops rather than the 4.1s (super skinny at 22mm). Between the fork and the fact that I run 2.35's on those skinny hoops, the front end jsut doesn't inspire confidence in the turns.

Am I way off on this or thinking right? If I need to change, I'd like to do it now before I have many miles on the stuff I'd sell (they are like new still since I spend more time on my park/urban bike than on my trail bike). So whatcha think? FYI, I want to keep things reasonably light and rarely do drops over 6' (they'd be to a nice tranny when over 6').

That's it...and here's how she's looking at the moment (only with an 8" front disc now)....
    I would definitely go bigger on the rims. I had a Heckler with a TALAS (125mm) and VXC rims. The first thing I changed was going to xm321's and the difference in the ride was huge. I have since changed the TALAS to a PIKE coil and it made a difference as well, but if I could only do one thing I would change the rims. They will make a difference in the turns. I'm not sure if the fork will make the turns better, unless you are going 20mm.

However, from what you are describing I would change both, and while you are at it, go to a 20mm axle. With my Pike I found 125mm to be the sweet spot for me on my Heckler for most situations, and I would bump it up to 140mm for the really hairy stuff.

Cheesiest
    Definitely go for a thru-axle six inch fork and wider rims, if you are taking decent drops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you change now your going to loose $. If your smooth (hardtails will make you that way) why add weight. Im almost 200 and never had a problem with my 519's (24mm). once you tweek em, upgrade. Funny I was a total Hardtail soilder until I rode my first heckler at a demo. The rest is history Now if you feel like your on the verge of blowing up parts, swap it out now before you get hurt. I just look at what some huckers are doing on parts and realize most modern parts are way tougher than we think. Your call.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by m-dub
    If you change now your going to loose $. If your smooth (hardtails will make you that way) why add weight. Im almost 200 and never had a problem with my 519's (24mm). once you tweek em, upgrade. Funny I was a total Hardtail soilder until I rode my first heckler at a demo. The rest is history Now if you feel like your on the verge of blowing up parts, swap it out now before you get hurt. I just look at what some huckers are doing on parts and realize most modern parts are way tougher than we think. Your call.
    that does make sense and thanks to all who have given me their two cents so far. the thing with the rims isn't that I am afraid of blowing them up as much as I feel some tire squirm in the corners becuase I run 2.3-2.5 tires on skinny rims. I feel like the wider rim will give me a much better footprint. as for the fork, I knew I wanted the 130-150 when I got mine but got a good deal through ...well, lets just say I got a good deal on the 110-130 and went for it. I think the taller fork would make the Hecklers geometry really shine.

Im not really keen on the weight increase which is one reason Im a little hesitant on the thru axle setup (Ill be adding enough already with the rims and 6" fork) but I guess I'd be open to it if push came to shove (what the h@ll does that mean anyway?).

bottom line is that I am going to post an ad today for my stuff so if you know anyone who wants a mint set of superlight wheels or a mint 2005 AM1, send em my way, I'll try to make the price work for them since I got a pretty good myself.

eh-nay Ityopia!

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    I run a Z1 Light and usually leave it in the 150mm setting. Dropped it down to 130mm for a few rides, but really prefer the taller front end for the type of riding I do. Rhyno Lites or Singletracks might be an option for the rims also; just a little heavier and about half the price of the 5.1s. I don't think you will notice too big of a difference in weight as you're only looking at a pound and change to make the swap from what you have now.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefulbiker
    I run a Z1 Light and usually leave it in the 150mm setting. Dropped it down to 130mm for a few rides, but really prefer the taller front end for the type of riding I do. Rhyno Lites or Singletracks might be an option for the rims also; just a little heavier and about half the price of the 5.1s. I don't think you will notice too big of a difference in weight as you're only looking at a pound and change to make the swap from what you have now.
    Im really thinking of just getting some Outlaws. They're inexpensive and weigh just slightly less (the hoops) than the RL or ST's. H@ell, they're only a little heavier than the 5.1's. I think Ill miss my sexy 240 hubs but that's life and at least I didn't use them long enough to get emotionally attached! Z1 light huh?, Ill look into that one.

eh-nay Ityopia!

29 some of the time...
    I may be alone here, but I actually think a 130mm Z1 or AllMountain is a great match for a heckler. I found the front end to wander a bit on steep climbs with that fork. I ran a 140mm pike coil, but it is essentially the same height as a 130mm marzocchi. I would stick with the fork for a bit longer before tanking it.

Big tires on skinny rims are not a good thing. As soon as you push them hard the tire will flex or roll over the side of the rim. Sounds like you are already familliar with the issues. The outlaws have good reviews, but are quite heavy. You would probably do better just swapping the rims out to the wider dt or something like a mavic ex721 or xm321. Those options will only tank your wheelset by about 1/2lb. The outlaws are probably well over a pound heavier than what you are currently riding. Great for bombing dh, but a pound of rotational weight is a pretty big anchor to saddle with on the climbs.

Unshaven Yak
    I too have a heckler and have had a variety of setups over the last three years. I think the AM1 is a fine choice for the front, I currently run an 04 Z1fr (130) and it works tremendously well. I would go with your instinct to change the wheels and go with the wider hoops to support that rubber. You may be getting some flex out of the front, but it's coming from the wheel. Tried changing tires yet?

Also make sure you are truly happy with the cockpit too; I started with a long-low stem so it resembled my older bikes, but it was a beautiful transformation as a higher-shorter stem made the handling fall into place and actually improved my climbing.
    If you can, get one. You can bild it up to be a kinda lite trail slaying,dirt surfin, 40 mile ride single track super mama. this bike is the cutting edge of the sport. "spred the groove".

USB Rep'n

Update

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky Wiz
    I too have a heckler and have had a variety of setups over the last three years. I think the AM1 is a fine choice for the front, I currently run an 04 Z1fr (130) and it works tremendously well. I would go with your instinct to change the wheels and go with the wider hoops to support that rubber. You may be getting some flex out of the front, but it's coming from the wheel. Tried changing tires yet?

Also make sure you are truly happy with the cockpit too; I started with a long-low stem so it resembled my older bikes, but it was a beautiful transformation as a higher-shorter stem made the handling fall into place and actually improved my climbing.
    Just to follow up I decided to go with Outlaws and a Z150 FR SL. eight on the fork is actually LESS than my AM1! The wheels feel gret. Heavier for sure but much more predictable. At this point, I don't think I'll come across much that the HEckler cna't handle setup this way....then again.......

eh-nay Ityopia!