mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Research (mountain scooter)

Hi all,
    I'm a student studying in Liverpool and i would like to ask you your views on a project i'm currently working on. Firstly i was wondering if many of you have ever tried mountain scooter? Have you even heard of it? And what do you think about the idea of the sport? I would just like to get a few of your views on this and what makes you tick so to speak. I would be very grateful if you could enlighten me abit on this and it would help me out a great deal .
    Thank you,
    Chris
    Research (mountain scooter)-globe-3t-sherpa.jpg

mtbr member
    looks like more fun than unicycling, at least you have sweet triple clamp forks and disc brakes but unicycling has seats. make a urt version and people will definitely buy.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    This seems to have a lot of disadvantages compared to a bike, and not a lot of benefits...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    This seems to have a lot of disadvantages compared to a bike, and not a lot of benefits...
    +1

I can't fathom myself ever wanting one. There is one major flaw... I canít pedal it.

What am I supposed to do push it up the mountain and then roll down. Meh, thanks but no thanks.

Scooters are silly things and don't belong on the trails, just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Negatives.. No drive out of corners when you have to brake.. Only any use when gravity can get you from one end to the other on any trail. Slow going when there is no gravity too. Need to carry it up hill and unless the deck height is set high then suspension travel is limited and the more you raise the deck the worse the centre of gravity....

Plus...
    Could be fun on a ski slope with ski lifts and wide smooth pistes to race mates down....
    Erm.... thats about it.... I guess.

~ B A D A S S ~
    The problem is the fact that you can't really go up a mountain on it. (well you can carry it, but..)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a handful of 20" mtn scooters. (Bunch of friends have them also). They're the Diggler Original Mountian Scooter model. 20" BMXish wheels, suspension fork, v-brakes front and rear.

Back -story - they used to rent these things for a few seasons at a mountain where we regularly went to downhill mtb. The stopped renting them out a number of years ago and they all sat in some storeroom for a number of years. We heard they were selling them cheap, so, most of us having kids (and being cheap), we snagged 10 or 12 of the things and all the extra parts they had laying around for next to nothing.

From what I've found messing with them - on the right trail, they're a lot of fun. We have a shuttle run in my neighborhood that's got a lot of berms and tabletop jumps, stepdowns, etc and you can definitely have a lot of laughs racing your buddies for beer. They handle narrow singletrack and small to mid-sized obstable better than you would think (as long as you're not shy about using the skid plate for it's intended purpose). I've also seen them work pretty well on certain pumptracks. The kids seem to have a good time on messing around on them. My 9 y.o likes it better than his little Razor scooter for zipping around the neighborhood, but sure as hell wouldn't want to take one into a skatepark.

For the most part, they obviously don't translate well to really rocky or tight mtb trails, or anything you need to climb. On non-technical descending trails though, they're pretty fun. Specially on the type of "DH" trails that people seem to favor these days, which are basically inclined BMX tracks. They seem to have found a solid niche of popularity with people who do a kind of dirt version of dog-sledding with them.

Overall, I think they'll never be more than a novelty. Fun to mess with once in a great while, but that's about it. Main limiting factor is not having terrain that complements them, unless of course you could get DH mtns to let them on the less techy trails (which is what the place we bought them from used to do). The whole tie-a-dog-to-it thing might be fun - have the mutts drag you up the hill, then detach and bomb down. I might have to give that shot some afternoon just for S+G.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi thanks for that you have given me some useful information to go off. Not sure if its what you adrenaline junkies crave. Guessing its for a more relaxed audience.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    looks like more fun than unicycling, at least you have sweet triple clamp forks and disc brakes but unicycling has seats. make a urt version and people will definitely buy.
    Not being up on all your mountain biking lingo haha can i please ask what you mean by urt? Thankyou.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    This seems to have a lot of disadvantages compared to a bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hindle View Post
    Not being up on all your mountain biking lingo haha can i please ask what you mean by urt? Thankyou.
    urt (unified rear triangle) is a kind of suspension that connects bottom bracket to rear axle and only works when seated. it was a joke.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Go single crown and a Rotor or Gyro (so you can at least do bar spins..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    HAHA i saw these at Verbier Bike Park in Switzerland. They had disk brakes, small wheels (dont remember the size, possibly 20") and a marzocchi single crown on them. I think the intention was to go down fireroads on them, they weren't allowed on actual trails obviously. I didn't try them or saw anyone using them though

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Research (mountain scooter)-318544_896339108801_7070356_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Are these ok for enduro use?