Dual Squishy...

Replacing my '07 Enduro...

Three I am considering:
    - Ibis Mojo HD or HDR 2012 or newer
    - Pivot Mach 5.7c 2012 or newer
    - Enduro Expert Carbon 2013 or newer

Have a lot of parts to swap onto what ever I get. Hard part is, there are NO dealerships near me for Ibis nor Pivot. At least none that will let me test ride anything even if they had anything in stock. Plus, the Ibis forum guys will say Ibis, Pivot forum, Pivot, etc. Anyone ride two or more of these bikes?

Have an XC bike already, and used my Enduro for bigger, badder stuff. East Coast rocks, roots, and slop. Point and shoot...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have owned every iteration Enduro from 2003 to 2009 and some multiple times from switching out and then coming back. I always loved the Enduro's. I did not go to the 2010 iteration enduro, but instead I went to Ibis Mojo HD, 2011 and and then a 2013, just before the HDR. This was due to warranty claim. Don't worry about a dealer near you, Ibis has awesome CS. The Mojo HD is a phenomenal bike for everything. Mine weighed 27lbs and I could any of my East coast riding. XC, all mountain, drops, jumps, rocks and roots. If you have determined to stay 26" I think the Ibis is the best bike. Get the HDR just because of slightly better 650b compatibilty.

If your on the fence about 26", 650b or 29er read on. Just 2 months ago I was at the point of either a 650b HD or Enduro 29, because I have been riding a 29er SS and a 29er hardtail and I have found they work for my riding. In the end I went with 2014 S-Works Enduro 29. I did this just because of very slight compatibilty issues with the Ibis, now I absolutely love the enduro 29. I was skeptical about 29er in this configuration, but I have seen the light, a 6 inch travel 29 is a little big, but it handles great. You get used to a slightly different riding style. For the record I am only 5'7" 165lbs and ride only east coast terrain.

Dual Squishy...
    Thought about the Enduro 29er. I'm 5'8"+, but every 29er I have ever ridden I didn't like. 650b is tempting, but sticking with the 26" size. Good points, as I have heard nothing but absurd reviews on the Enduro 29er from people that generally do not like 29ers.

One other note, the Big S has some 2013s cheap. Still more than getting just a frame set and moving my Enduro parts over (I9s, Saint Brakes, X0 2x9 drive train). Was leaning Ibis with the Enduro a close second. I've also read nothing but great stuff about the current iteration of the Enduro too. Biggest issue is I have no way to test ride any of them, except maybe the Enduro.

My LBS get get me a 5.7c w/ Pike for a decent deal too. But still, no way to test ride...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah, if 26 is what your doing the Ibis was my choice, but lets face it, you like me, like the Specialized bike. They have always fit me well and nothing but good things from them. You won't be disappointed either way. It's true first outings on the 29er compared to the 26er, always left me wanting 26. But as you ride them more....you realize 29 is different but very good.

Whatever you get, it will be good from your choices.

Dual Squishy...
    Thanks bpd. Good stuff!

Anyone else ridden two or more of these bikes that could share their thoughts?

Dual Squishy...
    Test rode an Enduro today. It's out of the running. Pavement rode a Giant Trance 29er. DW Link is noticeably different. May open this up to Giant, the Mach 429 and Ibis Ripley...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I would give the Ripley a try. DW is great for pedaling and I think it was almost as good as FSR/horst for downhill stuff. It's a fantastic design. I didn't think that pedaling was really part of your consideration. Ripley might be your thing, I would have gone that route but I wanted more "enduro" than "xc". To be honest I am sure I would be fine on a Ripley. Though I must say I did a 6' drop to flat with the Enduro 29er and it handled it quite well. The Ripley might have been fine but in design for purposes I think the Enduro was the right call for me on this bike. I never rode a Giant, I never liked them, and to be honest, I never rode one. I can't explain why. I'm sure it is a great bike and my Giant LBS said they have all kinds of 650b's for this model year. Might be exactly what you want/need.

Seem like you are at, where I was at a couple of months ago...... Which way do I go?.....Which bike do I buy? The more you analyze the harder it becomes because there are so many great bikes. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    If bikes like the Ibis and Pivot are in the running, you really owe it to yourself to also throw a leg over a Knolly Chilcotin.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 5.7c with arch rims and a revelation 150 and a 2012 HD with Bos Deville, custom tuned Roco and i23 rims and Angleset at -1. I do prefer the slightly slacker head angle over stock. I ride rocky rooty north east trails. HD is much more capable and point and shoot. 5.7c lighter by 4lbs and more nimble. If the 5.7c was going to be my only bike I'd put a 150mm Pike on it for sure and some big ish tires. I also had a 2012 chilcotin that I just sold. Great bike but I never took it close to its potential. Don't do drops very often these days and it was a lot of bike to lug around. DW link more efficient but Knolly 4x4 is super plush and active and offers great technical climbing traction. DW link motors up stuff though. You do feel a little platform in the DW link but not obnoxious like it was on my V1 Banshee Rune UI had. Feel free to ask questions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22 View Post
    Test rode an Enduro today. It's out of the running. Pavement rode a Giant Trance 29er. DW Link is noticeably different. May open this up to Giant, the Mach 429 and Ibis Ripley...
    why is the Nomad out? and what DIDNT you like about YOUR Nomad?
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Jeep,

I was actually in your shoes as well with only looking for a new frame due to the high-end parts I had for my previous bikes I was planning on transferring.

I ended up landing on an Evil Uprising which could be an option for you if you want to consider it. It's a full carbon frame, uses the DELTA suspension from Dave Weagle and I have yet to find anyone else who has had negative things to say about it. I've been loving mine so far.

I have also heard good things about that Pivot though and at least for the Mach 5.7's in carbon, I've saw those frames actually on sale yesterday for about 1800.

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    why is the Nomad out? and what DIDNT you like about YOUR Nomad?
    SC not in the running as there is no good local LBS support. Hoping to test ride a 29er Trance later this week. Will at least give me an idea about the DW link.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I went from a 2007 Specialized Enduro to a 2014 Ibis Mojo HDR in 650b.

I absolutely love the HDR. It does everything I want it to do and more. DW link is so efficient on the climbs. The thing rips on the way down too.

650b is THE wheel size for me. 29'r always felt too big, but 27.5 is just right IMO. Btw, I'm 5'10" 165lbs. The large frame is perfect for me, if you're 5'8" I'd say go for the medium.

Dual Squishy...
    Went for the Pivot 5.7c as I got a deal I could not pass up. Plan to put a RS Pike on it, and go from there. 27.5 conversions are possible, but we shall see how this one goes...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Nice man. Good choice those things look pretty sick. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    lol- I'm a little late to this party, but I've got years of riding time on a Giant Reign X, I just got a 2013 Euduro (with time on older Enduro's) And have time on a Pivot 5.7.

Just came here to say I was really impressed with the 5.7- great choice!