mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Replacing C-dale Jekyll with??

I have a 2012 Jekyll 26in today with a RS Revelation up front and the weird Dryad shock in the back (140mm). I'm new-ish to mountain biking I guess but we ride a lot. My oldest kid is WAY into it (5yr) and so we just jumped in as a family. While the Jekyll has been fine, it seems kind of tank-ish and climbs are rough. Is the Jekyll even a "good-great bike"? Not sure. So I'm considering a new bike in the future. While I'm definitely going to be doing a lot of demo days this spring, I was hoping to get some help in building out a short list of bikes to try. I'm 6-4 190lbs.

We live on the Post Canyon Trail System near Hood River, OR and we ride from the house up the canyon trails and then ride back home. Lots of flow with jumps. A few more challenging trails. Sometimes the kid and I get a Mom-Shuttle too. Regardless, I need a bike than can make climbing easier for me, but also forgiving/fun enough on the downhill so I don't kill myself but can still try and hit some stuff too. I'm not a great rider, but def working on improving in-effort to stave-off the inevitable son-shaming. (Its amazing what a kid has a the guts to try when they aren't smart enough to be afraid). Cool to see your little 5yr busting gap jumps.

Any bikes to really focus on? I've heard good things about the Santa Cruz Hightower LT being great @downhill and somehow a great climber too. Not sure how true that is. I know some guys that like the 5010 as well, but I'm a bit concerned it might not be forgiving enough...but what I do I know.

FWIW I just read a bunch about the Tantrum bikes...160mm that climbs?? Interesting...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If you get a Hightower you will not be disappointed. Itís a great all-around bike, maybe one of the best you can get right now. It really is good at everything.

Itís a good enough bike you shouldnít worry about outgrowing it either, itís capable enough tthat it will serve you well as you get better.

I donít have one myself (I have a new Jekyll) but know a couple people with them who sing the praises of the Hightower.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
    If you get a Hightower you will not be disappointed. Itís a great all-around bike, maybe one of the best you can get right now. It really is good at everything.

Itís a good enough bike you shouldnít worry about outgrowing it either, itís capable enough tthat it will serve you well as you get better.

I donít have one myself (I have a new Jekyll) but know a couple people with them who sing the praises of the Hightower.
    You are talking about LT (150mm) Hightower right? Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The people I know have the regular one, which is 150f and 135r. The LT, as I understand it, is pretty similar.