mtbr member

Remedy on stone and cable scratches on carbon frame

I think stone and cable scratches on carbon frame are unavoidable, especially when you ride hard on trails. What can I do to minimize these scratches, before and after it happens? Please don't advise me to ride like a lame duck.

I was told to use nail polisher to patch up chipped paint, as exposure to water will weaken the carbon frame. Fact or myth? Is there anything in the market to patch up scratches on carbon frame? How about wrapping the carbon frame (strategic locations) with vinyl protector? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9888 View Post
    How about wrapping the carbon frame (strategic locations) with vinyl protector? Thanks!
    I did. Bought me some clear bra stuff and wrapped my Blur LTc w/ it. Took my time as it was winter and you can barely see it.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

WLB
    It's a Mojo mang!

mtbr member
    helo tape is awesome for impact protection but a bit heavy, the weight weenies will want to stick with the clear bra type material.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Anti-slip tape is strong and sticks very well. The texture is pretty cool too.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    helo tape is awesome for impact protection but a bit heavy, the weight weenies will want to stick with the clear bra type material.
    And if the 3M Clear Bra material is good enough for a car, its good enough for a MTB.

WLB
    It's a Mojo mang!
    I just ordered the helo tape, have read several other folks using it with good results, but I don't know what it weighs. Is the 8 mil helo tape heavier than the 3M car bra stuff? They had a choice between 8 mil tape & I think.....um....15 mil, so I ordered the thinner stuff. I can't imagine a few strategically placed pieces would add much weight, though.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    Heavy? It's tape. I have some all over my bike. Weight was the furthest thing from my mind. The roll at most must have weighed....what....and ounce maybe? And I didn't use the whole roll either.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg View Post
    Heavy? It's tape. I have some all over my bike. Weight was the furthest thing from my mind. The roll at most must have weighed....what....and ounce maybe? And I didn't use the whole roll either.
    Dude, that one ounce could have costs milliseconds on the trail . . . c'mon now.

mtbr member
    im in the USAF, the avionics equipment tape is similar to the helo tape if i remember correctly? if not , my bad. the stuff we use has weight to it.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

74 & 29 pilot
    DOWNTUBE & FRAME PROTECTION

I used this on both my Trek Fuel EX 9.7 and Remedy 9.9

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    DOWNTUBE & FRAME PROTECTION

I used this on both my Trek Fuel EX 9.7 and Remedy 9.9

MTBP
    Does this stuff yellow in the sun?

mtbr member
    Ya know, I'm pretty sure the hilo tape and clear bra stuff is the same stuff, only slightly thicker... I bought some hilo tape too and be damned if I could tell the difference.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

WLB
    It's a Mojo mang!

some more info

Looked up as much info as I could find on both the 3M paint protection film, and the ISC helo tape. A couple blurbs:

Helo Tape

ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape (8 mil Outdoor Grade) is an extremely tough conformable polyurethane tape which was formerly referred to as helicopter/leading edge wing tape. It provides excellent paint protection from punctures, tearing, abrasion and erosion and is available in an indoor grade or an outdoor grade. Indoor grade can be used anywhere it will not be directly exposed to ultra violet light (the sun). If exposed to sun light, it may yellow over time. Outdoor grade provides excellent protection against ultra violet light, temperature extremes and automotive solvents. Outdoor grade will not yellow over time. The tape is clear/transparent and is supplied on a white paper release liner.

"Clear Bra"

Installed on new and used vehicles, 3M Paint Protection Film, also known as "clear bra", is a nearly invisible film that is applied to the painted surfaces of your car (hood, fender, bumper, mirrors) to protect them from road debris such as rocks, bugs, salt, etc.

Made of a 6 mil (.006) thick clear urethane plastic, 3M Paint Protection Film was initially designed to protect helicopter blades from debris during the Vietnam War. Since then, it has been used by various auto manufacturers and NASCAR teams to protect painted surfaces from rock chips.

They look pretty similar. The helo tape is 8 mil vs 6 mil for the clear bra stuff. Both are a type of urethane, so I can't imagine there would be much weight difference. The stuff from Crankskins also looks similar, seems like their standard stuff is 8 mil, with the option to order it in 12 mil if you want. At any rate, unless you wrap you whole frame with a couple of layers of it I doubt if it will add more than a couple ounces, no matter which one you use. I'm going with the 8 mil helo tape(outdoor grade). It come in a 2" wide x 12' long roll for about $21.00. That should be enough to cover front of the downtube & chainstays of my SL-R, & have plenty left over for small circles to put at cable rub spots.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Ya know, I'm pretty sure the hilo tape and clear bra stuff is the same stuff, only slightly thicker... I bought some hilo tape too and be damned if I could tell the difference.
    Yup.....I think "Clear Bra" is just a label created by the marketing gurus at 3M.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    What about after it happened?

I just apply some clear coat - touch up kit from an auto store. If fibers had not been visibly damaged.

Do not have much carbon on my bikes though. Handlebars mostly.

"Helicopter" tape works really nice, easy to apply, durable. I use it on stays and against cable rub.

mtbr member
    I'm all for clear bras, clear bikinis would be even better

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Does this stuff yellow in the sun?
    Not that I know of.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member

Bought 3M clear bra, cost $9 per sheet (approx. 5" x 15"), and weigh about 27 grams per sheet. I used 2 sheets, so it adds 54 grams to my nomad c.

The 3M clear bra makes the carbon shine, though I prefer matt finish. Easy to paste as it wraps nicely on the contour of the frame. Remember to clean the frame with alcohol first.

Peace of mind now, ready to rock