Thread: Remedy sizing

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Remedy sizing

Hey all. I am buying a 2013 Remedy 8 and I am torn with the right size. The LBS does not have a 18.5 Remedy but the do have a 18.5 Fuel. I rode the Fuel and a 17.5 Remedy and the 17.5 just feels better to me. The 18.5 feels a little long and clunky to me. I am 5'11 and a 33 in. inseam. I ride a Specialized Rockhopper 19" hardtail and I am comfortable on that for XC type of riding. I am looking to get into more aggressive AM type riding with the Remedy. My question is, if I do get the 17.5 and find it to be too cramped later on, is it possible to upgrade components (stem, bars, etc...) to make the bike more comfortable? And, in all honesty, will this bike be too small? I ride in North Carolina.

I have been reading posts from many sites in regards to this question but the answers were all general and not specific to my size and area of riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm 5'-10 and ride the 18.5 remedy with a 70mm stem and wide-ish bars. Feels great to me. I really don't like riding long stems and there are a lot of steep climbs where I ride so the shorter top tube wouldn't have worked for me. If you have steep climbs I'd recommend the 18.5. If you're mainly riding flat or DH type trails I think you might be ok with the 17.5 - but you will need to decide between a long stem (weight forward) or moving your seat back (weight back), which may effect the descending or climbing feel of the bike.
    I have a friend that rides his ex7 on everything that I ride my rememy on and it doesn't seem to be holding him back on the decents at all. If you do more trail riding I might opt for the EX7 anyway...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My main concern with getting the Fuel was wanting more bike as I progressed with drops and hits. There aren't much uphills or downhills where I live but more park type riding with jumps and drops.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10-11 and have a 32" inseam. I ride a 2012 9.8 and went with the 18.5. My other ride is a large Heckler. I rode both and the 17.5 was really cramped. Going to a shorter stem on the larger bike would be better than a longer stem on a shorter bike. I'm riding a 70mm stem with a 20mm stack height and 28" bars. If you are just park riding and jumping the smaller frame may be better, or a different bike like the Slash.

mtbr member
    I am 5'8 and ride a small one. Don't worry too much about it you can change the the geometry a lot with a different steem and bars.

mtbr member
    if your more into the park riding jumps etc the smaller frame remedy probably more your liking. I own the 18.5/19.5 virtual for the both the ex and the remedy. they are both excellent bikes, but the remedy is just more robust frame for handling the jump/gapsmore aggressive drops etc. 6 ft tall 33inseam 180lbs

the ex is a fascinating do it all bike, but if your planning on riding heavy on the jumping etc, the Remedy .. well actually a Trek Ticket frame would be even better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    im 5'6" with a 30 inch inseam. i ride a 17.5 remedy. its just right for me with a 70mm stem.

mtbr member
    id get the 18.5. you can always put a shorter stem on it

im 5'11" and test rode a medium Hecker, and while it felt nice sitting down, i hit my knee on the fork when i stood up

fwiw, Santa Cruz recommends i ride a large Hecker, and id have to agree
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Dirtbag Medic
    I also ride in NC and my 2012 Remedy is 18.5/19.5 virtual and I'm 6'3" 200lbs.
    I mostly just skim the important bits

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Where abouts in NC Doc?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The LBS actually talked me into getting a Fuel instead of the Remedy. They insisted it was too much bike for NC. After I ordered the Fuel, I regretted not getting the Remedy. SO I told them to sell the Fuel and order me a Remedy.

mtbr member
    LBS's don't care about you they just want to move their stock. Is a business at the end. When I was buying my remedy I told them that I was thinking about putting a chain guide. His answer was: You should be getting the Slash then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm 5'11", maybe barely 6'0" and used to ride a 2011 Remedy 9.7 19.5". I've got a 32" inseam (pants) and I'm by no means lanky. After buying it, I always felt it was a little sluggish in turns and felt a little stretched out on it. Unfortunately (but somewhat fortunately, I guess), the bike was just recently stolen from me. Insurance replaced it with a Remedy 9.8 (upgrade since they no longer made the 9.7...kinda sweet), but this time I got the 18.5", and I'm much happier on it.

At your size, I'd strongly consider the 18.5".