Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Reliable DROPPER POST?

Ok I'm probably opening up a whole can of worms here, but I'm looking for a dropper post for my Turner 5 Spot. 30.9m seatpost. I've been looking at basically every post available, and all that I'm seeing are bad reviews on them. Is there a dropper post out there that's actually reliable for any length of time? I mean, I'm not going to lay out $200-$350 for a dropper just to have it fail in a few months, I'd much rather go without it than have a piece of junk that fails. Nor do I want something that requires tons of maintenance.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Reliable DROPPER POST?

Dropper posts are like forks and shocks. At some point service will be MANDATORY.

KS,Reverb, etc...they all work. But you have to give them attention every so often.
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Specialized Command Blacklite owner here.

Uses a standard shifter cable and housing (no bleeding).
    Solid mechanical engagement/feel.
    Easy to disassemble and clean.
    Proven to be pretty reliable.

Cons:
    Some people experience a broken collet (warranty issue I have not come across yet).
    Seal friction over time causes the need for a manual tug on the post every now and then.
    The saddle clamp needs to be watched as it can loosen and the saddle can rotate.
    Tiny (1mm or less) side to side play developed over time.

Overall, most of the time the benefits outweigh the cons. It's nice though, I can remove it in 30 seconds, swap the saddle to a regular post and lose a pound if I'm riding flat trails.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have had good luck with my X-Fusion HiLo once I added some carbon grip to the rail clamp.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Gravity Dropper seems to be the most reliable and low maintenance. I used one for over 4 years with no failures and limited maintenance (changing the cable once or twice). I currently run a Lev, but haven't used it long enough to give any meaningful feedback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have a KS Lev on my 5 Spot and feel "meh" about the whole dropper post movement.
    I'd ask yourself if you really need one. Personally, losing the saddle offset isn't worth the convenience of dropping a post without having to undo a QR. Droppers add a whole lot of complexity where there once was none. Regular posts have zero maintenance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks creeker, that's what I was thinking too after seeing all the problems with droppers... 5 Spot doesn't have a QR clamp, not sure why Turner sends them out w/o. Of course it's quite simple to get one, but I was just weighing a QR or just going all the way to a dropper.. I've always had QR, and honestly I always tended to not get off and lower/raise saddle because of interrupting my ride and getting post back to correct height/etc... so I was just thinking that perhaps a dropper is a good thing since there seems to be alot of hype about them out there and in mags/etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    I have a KS Lev on my 5 Spot and feel "meh" about the whole dropper post movement.
    I'd ask yourself if you really need one. Personally, losing the saddle offset isn't worth the convenience of dropping a post without having to undo a QR. Droppers add a whole lot of complexity where there once was none. Regular posts have zero maintenance.
    Interesting view point. I am on the fence right now about a dropper for my 5-Spot. Part of me thinks, why the heck do I need one and the other side says that it would help on some of the more technical downs and drops. But, will the added weight hurt on the climbs?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

KS LEV 150MM owner

Added weight hasn't bothered me. I ride the same trails 3 times a week and it hasn't slowed me down. I don't have a bike computer, so my information isn't 'exacting' to those standards, but climbing remains the same, sometimes better when I want the seat out of the way, and its fun downhill.

I'll take it off for aggressive riding out of fear of breaking it, which speaks for itself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Reliable DROPPER POST?

Gravity Dropper. I have replaced the cable and lubed it a few times in 3.5 years. No problems at all. All mechanical with no oil or air to leak and cause a failure.

mtbr member
    I think it really depends on the type of terrain you frequently ride. My trails have lots of ups and downs with technical features. I am a huge fan of my 150mm LEV (and the i950 I had for over 2 years before it). Only reason I replaced the i950 was I liked the cable mounting way better on the LEV - so it was a good upgrade.

Reliability has not been an issue - although I do annual maintenance on them (same as I do on my shocks, brakes, drivetrain etc).

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabike View Post
    Ok I'm probably opening up a whole can of worms here, but I'm looking for a dropper post for my Turner 5 Spot. 30.9m seatpost. I've been looking at basically every post available, and all that I'm seeing are bad reviews on them. Is there a dropper post out there that's actually reliable for any length of time? I mean, I'm not going to lay out $200-$350 for a dropper just to have it fail in a few months, I'd much rather go without it than have a piece of junk that fails. Nor do I want something that requires tons of maintenance.
    If you want reliable, get a Gravity Dropper Classic. I seriously doubt you read much that to indicate they are unreliable.

Mine is 7.5 years old. Next to zero maintenance needed. I lube the shaft once every year or two, and I have replaced the cable twice. The switch broke after 6 years, it was a $15 part. My experience is not unusual.

I am not aware of one other post that has the track record that GD does. It is as reliable as any other moving part on your bike.

If it makes any difference to you, I ride a 5-Spot also.

To me, there is simply no question that the dropper is worth the cost and weight. Of course, if I had to deal with the reliability issues most posts have, I might feel differently, but with the GD it is a non-issue.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    maybe im a fanboy?? but I chose to buy the RS Reverb, because of Srams Tech videos and parts being catologed and available everywhere.. Even ebay is full of the parts needed to rebuild the post. All of these posts need maintenance so why not have all the info and parts available when needed..

I love using the Reverb and it has changed the way I ride for sure. I dont care about the weight, I care about having fun and it makes my bike and the way I ride more enjoyable. + the reverb adjusts to any spot and i use that feature a lot, even for climbing really steep technical. I can lower it just about 2" for fast/flowy trails that still need pedaling to maintain speed but still have lots of sweeping hits/jumps.

LCW
    mtbr member

Reliable DROPPER POST?

+1 for Reverb. Smooth. Infinite adjustment. Hydraulic.

/end thread
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Blacklite owner. I broke my KS Dropzone after a couple months. It seemed pretty finicky with cable length. What got me in the end was the seat rail clamp. I run a slightly downward angle on my seat, and the clamp didn't like to hold the rail effectively there. Seat would slide all the way back in the clamp, which fatigued and cracked the aluminum head.

I like the idea of the mechanical and air sprung Blacklite, if you can live with a 3 position post. It just works. Same way every time. Just don't put your junk in the line of fire when you push the lever, or you may receive a blunt force vasectomy. =-0

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabike View Post
    I'd much rather go without it than have a piece of junk that fails.
    That makes no sense. Worst case scenario with any of them is it fails and you have to send it back for warranty work while you "go without it" and use your standard post for a week or two. So you'd rather go without one entirely than face the possibility of going without one for a few rides? For what it's worth I've owned several droppers over five years and the worst I've had is going for 2 days without my first gen Reverb while Rockshox warrantied it. They knew I had a race that weekend and rush shipped a second gen post to me before even recieving my malfunctioning post. This was after a year and a half of use and it was a known problem with the first batch made. All three of my KSs have been perfect and my first gen Joplin just needed an occasional stroking to get bubbles out of it.

If you want the most bomb-proof model that won't even risk having to finish a ride with the post down get a Specialized Command Post (1st gen or Blacklite). They use a mechanical lock that I've never heard of failing. Even if the cable snaps and/or the spring breaks/loses pressure you can manually set it in one of the three positions. Howevver, I prefer the infinite settings and non-moving cable of the KS LEV.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    GD is soooo reliable. one of the best investment.
    mine is GD turbo, built like a tank, but one of the lightest dropper post out there. very minimum maintenance, 99% always work, parts are cheap. I use it a lot during ride, been almost 3 yrs. no boot for me, the boot is ugly. GD just works. if you get it, i suggest you put cable noodle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    i have 2 Spesh command posts. One on an Enduro that came with it, then bought one for my stumpy.

Had them for about a year. I ride 1-2 times a week and use the post alot every ride , switching probably too often for all kinds of terrain change.

Yes you can just stop and lower your seat, but the stops your rhythm and breaks your groove. It makes riding a little more fun and flowy. I know that once i used it for a week on my Enduro, i had to have one on the stumpy.

Anyway, only issue i had so far was a known issue. I didn't torque the saddle bolt enough and the saddle started tilting up once after about half the ride. Tightened the nut and all has been good.

I agree with Duke that eventually it will need to be serviced. Its one more bill to keep your bike working.

I found a really good deal on pb. 175 for my command post.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    OP did indeed open a can of worms!! I got one for my Nomad, it made the DH a bit easier, but true it's another added complexity. I then got a 29er HT, dropped the post a little bit while on the trails (no funny bent knees) and did all the same trails without any problems on the fixed post.

They are nice to have, but will they make a massive difference in your riding? not in my experience.

Since they are not a huge amount of money, I would suggest giving one a try, if you are not happy with it, sell it for a minimum loss but you will have a definite answer to your question.

mtbr member
    Dropper posts are all prone to failure, it's just in the nature of the work that they need to do vs the size they are, possibly the industry need to think about a larger seat post size across the board maybe make 32.4mm dia standard or make a new 34mm or 36mm standard.

They are inherently fragile, yes you can use a good one like a GD for years, but if you wanted to you could induce one to fail in a few hours, just do a few 'no way' (feet off the pedals) endos and some aggressive wheelies or crash wrong and it will probably have more play than a kindergarten.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lew242 View Post
    Dropper posts are all prone to failure.
    That's not true. Perhaps most, but not all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    That's not true. Perhaps most, but not all.
    What I mean is yes, some might never fail 'if used as they should be', as a trail bike seat-post. However if you abuse them even the best will fail, eventually. If you can't kill yours someone heavier certainly could.

A good quality regular seat-post is always going to be stronger less heavy and less complex. However a dropper post is massively convenient and fun.

MTB B'dos
    To the OP, as said, just like your fork or shock, a dropper will need service, some sooner than others, it's a new market as such and not a lot of real long term testing. I stayed away reading all the "wrongs" with them, especially the play some can have, but then I decided time to give one a go and got an X-Fusion HiLo 100mm post. So far it's been pretty damned good IMHO, bit of play I guess side to side, like a mm or two maybe, but I don't notice it when riding.
    I'm coming off nearly 9 years riding MTBs without one, so I often approach and ride stuff without using it because I'm just not accustomed to having it there - stuff I can ride with really lowering the saddle from learning that way, but which lowering the saddle would help a bit in being able to ride it more aggressive or faster with it dropped.

Ves, best advice I could give is to try and see if you can demo one and see how you like it. I too have never had one and not really thought it a disadvantage to have to stop and lower my normal post manually before heading down a super steep descent or roller etc, but honestly it does help keep he flow so you can just roll right on it and down without having to stop. As to the weight, I really haven't noticed it to be honest, but then again I'm riding a 34lb+/- FS.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Interesting view point. I am on the fence right now about a dropper for my 5-Spot. Part of me thinks, why the heck do I need one and the other side says that it would help on some of the more technical downs and drops. But, will the added weight hurt on the climbs?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lew242 View Post
    What I mean is yes, some might never fail 'if used as they should be', as a trail bike seat-post. However if you abuse them even the best will fail, eventually. If you can't kill yours someone heavier certainly could.

A good quality regular seat-post is always going to be stronger less heavy and less complex. However a dropper post is massively convenient and fun.
    By your definition, almost everything on a bike is "prone to failure".

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    inter - you stated no boot, it's ugly. I know I shouldn't put form over function in some cases, but I like how my bike looks and a boot is pretty ugly, makes it look really old school. Anyway - does removing the boot cause any performance issues and/or warranty issues that you know of? Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast