mtbr member

Reign X vs Commencal Mini DH

My title. Im looking at buying a second hand one from the 08 year.
    Both are going to cost me around 600$ shipped
    Reign X comes with a DHX 3 coil and Saint cranks
    Commencal Mini DH with Fox DHX Air 5.0 and thats it

What would be best suited for all mountain riding? im climb up to bomb down, i tend to be agressive on the DH, and i like to climb out the saddle.

Any reccomendations?
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I can only comment on the mini dh as I rode one for a couple of days in Whistler last year: It was a nice bike going downhill, but I'm not sure if I would like to do any prolonged climbing on it. Maybe it was the way it was set-up, but it bobbed alot.
    Having said that, it may be more tuneable for general riding, due to the air shock. The one I rode had a coil.

I would be tempted by the Reign X, mainly due to the fact that the maestro suspension is supposed to pedal really well, and it...well....just looks better lol. I'm sure others who have ridden one would be in a better place to comment though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    if my boss saw this thread, he'd go bananas. he LOVES his mini DH - runs an 09 talas on it, and X-0 stuff with Hope brakes (M-4's)

I've ridden in around in the parking lot, and definatly stood up and hammered, and once you get the shock dialed in - my god does it feel AWESOME.

he rode the mini-dh in the prairies with the exception of a trip out west to panorama, and was raving about how good the mini-dh is.
    He has previously ridden an ellsworth moment and an intense 6.6, and he said the mini beats these both hands down

mtbr member

Reign X owner

I can't comment on the mini dh but I do have a Reign X. You're not going to break any records going up, but as long as you are patient and stay seated there will not be any bobbing. When you stand up and start to mash on the pedals you will start to feel it bob.

This is my bootleg canyon bike, I just find a gear that's easy to pedal and stay in it until I reach the top and then go as fast as I can down. It has handled everything from XC to couple DH runs. So far the limit has been the rider. I would recommend the Reign X. I hope this helps.

mtbr member

if you haven't been to Bootleg Canyon..

I thought I would backup my previous post in case you have never been to Bootleg Canyon.

British downhiller Dan Atherton stormed to victory at the opening round of the American National Gravity Calendar series, just in front of his brother Gee.

Dan clocked a time of 3mins 9.1463secs in the pro downhill race at the Mob N Mojave in Boulder City, Nevada, beating 2008 world champion Gee into second place, 0.14 seconds behind.

The Team Animal Commencal pair are staying in California for some pre-season training. They described the course as "pretty gnarly, with sharp rocks, loose off camber and some fast sections".

I rode the same course with my Reign X, no where near as fast, but it handled it fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Another Reign X Owner

Good though the Commencal's are supposed to be, they do look too slack, particularly in the seat angle, to be any good at going uphill at all. By contrast, my Reign X hides its weight exceptionally well and goes uphill as well as most bikes several pounds lighter. There is no suspension bob whilst seated (even with the propedal all the way off), and the steepish seat angle puts your weight in the right place for a good balance whilst climbing.

The Reign X also descends with all the confidence of a longer travel DH bike too!

I'm not rubbishing the Commencal, they're supposed to be awesome bikes, but as it's name suggests it's supposed to be a "Mini DH bike", as in a DH bike with 6 and a bit inches of travel both ends instead of 8 or more. The Reign is not quite so focussed by contrast, but is all the more versatile for it. And if you're getting a Reign, the DHX3.0 coil shock is as good as any really, you probably won't miss the extra adjusters of the 4.0 or 5.0 models.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Supreme Reign X
    17.32 20 Size
    67.5 +/-1 68 Head angle
    73/68 73.5 Seat angle
    23.27 24 Top tube
    4.37 6.5 Head tube length
    17.09 17.2 Chain Stay
    44.96 44.9 Wheel Base
    32 Stand over
    13.8 Bottom Bracket
    545mm Fork length
    Frame weight

I was looking into both bikes before purchasing something entirely different! I am still very partial to the Commencal but I couldn't justify the cost plus being required to purchase the shock as well (does not come included in Canada, as the cost would be more than buying it separately).

From everything I have read concerning the Supreme (09 Mini DH), they are decent at climbing and amazing at everything else.
    The only thing to remember is that Giant is supposed to be changing the Reign X frame for the next model year.
    Good luck with your choice, I don't you will be disappointed with either.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    so what did you end up getting? keen to hear about the versatility of the Supreme vs my previous Reign X1