free
    Jun 2009

Reign VS Dakar XAM

Hi guys,
    Well I have a 2008 Reign 2 and the frame is too small for me and have a chance to swap it with a 2009 Jamis Dakar XAM. Is it worth the swap? How can the two frames be compared? I know about the Reign is unbreakable and light, how about the other one?
    Any help would be appreciated!

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    So is the Dakar XAM. I'd go with the Jamis - it is like a Jamis version of the Reign. PM b-kul - he's got good stories.

And it's nice to have a frame that fits.

usually cranky
    hahaha, thought my name would be brought up. xams are nice bikes, kinda hefty at 8.5 pounds without shock but built smart it can weigh in the low 30s. my bike with 55s and no superlight parts comes in at about 33 pounds. gonna put a sektor rl solo on it and it should be down to 31. 08 was a tough run for jamis but it looks like for 09 they turned it around, no frames reported broken in the jamis forum. it has iscg05 mounts which is nice. the only other thing worth mentioning is the 68.5 ha. kinda steep but it is 44mm so works and cc make headsets to slack it out up to 66.5. overall i have been very happy with mine and if you can pick one up for a decent price i would.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would try an XAM. If your getting it for cheap, then if you hate it at least you didnt blow a ton of money. I have a parker and its still solid after 2 years of bike park/trail/dirt jumping, I imagine the XAM is just as tough. I have owned a reign before and used to buy into the maestro linkage marketing, but now I am much happier with my single pivot linkage. Head tube is .5 degree slacker than reign. ISCG mounts exist (reign still has no ISCG, i dont get it). Only drawback is the XAM is gonna be heavier. On a side note, jamis customer service is awesome.

free
    Jun 2009
    thanks guys, much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm looking at the XAM vs the RM Slayer SXC. Both are new on Jenson. The Jamis is $550, and the RM is $750. I know the Jamis is known to have problems, said to been fixed with the '09 year, so I should be in the clear, but the warranty is 2 years while the RM has a 5 year warranty with the only problem being bearings and such. What do you guys advise? I know the RM is quite a bit lighter, but weight isn't a huge problem for me. I'm 5'10" 220, so if I want to save a couple pounds I'll just skip lunch or get a salad instead of a burger. Both have 6" travel (what I'm looking for), and I ride mostly AM, but looking to getting into a weekend here or there of DH (not real hardcore stuff). What do you guys think?

I'm coming off a '08 RM Element that I bent. I was going a little rougher than I probably should, but I think it was mostly a bad design. Who the hell puts a pivot point that creates forces on the weakest direction of the tube.

mtbr member
    Those Slayers are seriously nice bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    actually jamis has a 5 year warranty aswell, but its only with bikes with 5" or less rear travel. Bikes that have over 5" (xam, bam) have a 2 year.

Both the XAM and slayer are aggressive AM bikes, in the same class as the banshee rune. It will handle alittle of everything, including DH. I have a XAM and the bike is more capable than I am haha.

take a look at the 2008 BAM, then take a look at the 2009 xam, you will notice alot of similarities. That should give you an idea what it can handle.

I used to have a parker, which was a ton of fun, like a big bmx bike in the woods. So easy to flick around. I now have a xam, which i love. It climbs better and decents better, also fits me better with the slightly longer TT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have an 09 XAM II, the only reason I got the bike was for the parts kit that was on it.

That said, the only thing I dont like about it is the weight. I think its close to 9.5 lbs with a DHX 5.0

cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    mine isnt too bad. its at 34 right now with a uturn domain and a ks i950. Im dropping to a single ring this week so I should be closer to 33 after that.