Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

regarding 'Bike Bells' and their users

These are getting super popular here in Utah. My question is are they a viable safety solution? I personally have been yelled at multiple times for rounding a corner and surprising riders that were using their bells. "Whoa, didn't you hear my bell, bro?" Is the usual response. By the way, both times I was riding nice and slow, and was able to easily stop without either of us having to use evasion methods or any course corrections. They were evidently just startled.

Here's the problem: I did not hear the bell. My hearing is great, but the dinky bells have a pathetically short range when dealing with woods, switchbacks, blind corners, and riders approaching. From 5mph on, the sound of my hub and the wind in my ears drowns out any bell short of Will Farrell and his cowbell/drumstick ensemble.

I personally think the bells are junk. The intent is great, don't get me wrong. I like to be safe, and I don't want to put anyone else at risk. It's a great idea, but they just don't work well. Should something else be made? More cowbell? Should uphill/downhill traffic be required to sing something really loudly? If so, what? I will point out that singing does not add any grams to your bike, and gives your lungs further exercise...
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    maybe a mini version of this. carbon fiber tank, of course.
    Scaring Pedestrians With Train Horns - YouTube

banned
    Sep 2010
    I think bells are mainly for alerting hikers and equestrians. There is one bell, called the two-tone brass, I dunno who makes them, but they make an absolutely beautiful sound. I have them on all three of my trail bikes, and they virtually never fail to get a smile from the hikers I pass. Some of the equestrians can't keep the condescending scowls on their faces when they hear it, too.

I use it for other cyclists, too, but the bell is often defeated by the i-pod.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    My understanding is that bells are more to warn hikers of upcoming MTBers than to warn MTBers about each other. I have been out hiking or trail running, and can hear bikes with bells coming (although I can generally hear bikes without bells coming too).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    I think bells are mainly for alerting hikers and equestrians. There is one bell, called the two-tone brass, I dunno who makes them, but they make an absolutely beautiful sound. I have them on all three of my trail bikes, and they virtually never fail to get a smile from the hikers I pass. Some of the equestrians can't keep the condescending scowls on their faces when they hear it, too.

I use it for other cyclists, too, but the bell is often defeated by the i-pod.
    Is this the one

THE CLASSIC SOMA CRANE BRASS BICYCLE BELL - YouTube

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Midtown View Post
    No, that ain't it. The one I found is smaller, and when you push the lever you get the first ping, when you let it go you get the second. The bell is brass, but you can get them nickel-coated too. It has a slightly deeper tone that the one you linked to, I believe. Both of them sound goo.

banned
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Thank you. Just ordered one. Hope it fits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bells are right up there with reflectors and kick stands

Huffy Rider
    I ride in Sedona with a ton of hikers, they appreciate my bell and the kids love them. If nothing else, it makes the way I come off to the hikers just a little less evil. They always say, "thank you" for the ding and how much they appreciate my effort. I do not expect other bikers to hear it, but it has saved my a$$ a few times, unintentionally.

And my kickstand is the bomb!

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Midtown View Post
    Thank you. Just ordered one. Hope it fits.
    Your'e welcome. I betcha you'll like it, and the hikers will like it a whole lot better than "On your left!"
    One lady even referred to it as "mellifluous". I had to look that one up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I thought that was your clean ding? Acceptable in that instance...I don't remember a kickstand on your reign?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

i bought that manufacturer but not that model... brass.

i should have spend the extra $2 - lol.

joel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

One lady even referred to it as "mellifluous". I had to look that one up.

that's super funny!

joel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've always had bells on my bikes. Having one manages to annoy the angry hiker and the rad rider in equal measure - whilst ensuring I remain on the responsible moral high ground and doing the right thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    whistles and kazoos are cool too
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    I thought that was your clean ding? Acceptable in that instance...I don't remember a kickstand on your reign?!
    Yes, it doubles as my "clean ding" LOL! And you should see my shiny new chrome stand, you gotta have one if you wanna be kool.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    People don't kill people, bike bells kill people.

sry

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    iPods/ 2 headphones in ears should be punishable!

As to bells, I live in Moose/Grizzly/ Cat country...they make US feel better!

Demon Cleaner
    I get "Thank you for the bell!" almost every ride from a hiker or two.

We can wish we had the trails all to ourselves, but gradually and inevitably bikers will be overwhelmed on most trails if we don't learn how to mitigate the multi-use issue. It doesn't matter if we like that reality or not. The number of users does matter, and unfortunately, I see very few trails where bikers can win the argument on their own.

So yes, bells are great even if they're not always as great as we might wish.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

Elitest thrill junkie
    For people that don't yield, I have 31.5" bars on both of my bikes. Work real good. Otherwise, we all ride with bear-bells in AK.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I'm just messing with you
    I've always used the traditional spring-dinger type bell because I can just slap at it instead of having to press a trigger to ring it. That gives me some freedom in where I put it. I've got one adapted to the top of a headset cap too, use a bolt to set the preload, tighten the stem, then remove the bolt and screw the bell in by hand.

They tend to ring on their own in rough stuff too.

Some people don't hear it, but there's nothing wrong with slowing down, and no need to complain if someone doesn't hear me. If I wanted to stress out, I'd go to work instead of to ride.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

banned
    Jun 2007
    (re-post from earlier an bell thread)
    Added a bell after passing a father/daughter, who informed me that she was hearing impaired,
    and unable to hear my call of "on your left", yet was able to discern a bell.
    It works wonders on all I encounter, except the terminally grumpy, or the ear-bud rockers.

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 Bell good HAI !

I use a bear bell on the trails (which sounds more like a sleigh bell) and a dinger on more congested routes and urban assault rides. If you are contemplating an Incredibell, make sure you get higher quality one with a metal bell fastener rivet/screw. I destroyed one of the cheapy plastic ones in a couple of weeks.

Just ordered a fancier Japanese bell from Cambriabike.com today with other assorted goodies (15% off on components today).

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I have a 110 db air horn that I have never used, but really want to on an ear-Buddite.

What cracks me up is hikers who ring their little jingle bells when you are actually passing them.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't notice you, your pack, walking stick, outback hat, red wool socks and convertible shants, I thought you were a bush"
    Last edited by rideit; 07-25-2013 at 11:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Interesting stuff. I've always thought of them as a biker vs biker thing. Most here seem to be saying it's for hikers. That does make more sense. I still think I'd rather give my best rendition of Can't Help Falling in Love With You by the Righteous Brothers. Whether or not the other riders/hikers would like that is yet to be determined. But it will be louder than a bell.

I'm just messing with you
    Yes, mostly used to wake up hikers, and mostly then because I rarely overtake another rider
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Yes, bells are a VERY good idea! I ride with two cowbells clipped to the back of my seat personally. Gives a neat chorus effect I think and especially in so-cal around Los Angeles, being heard on the trail is VERY important. You might find them annoying occasionally, so might your ride buddies, but keeping up a good image for mountain bikers is FAR more important than your auditory enjoyment! As the lowest rung on the trail totem pole, mountain bikers like ourselves need to sacrifice a bit to ensure our trails remain open and that the general public hates us a bit less! Bells won't change the world of course, but they're a great start!
    1994 Cannondale M400 2017 Felt Surplus 30
    1997 Marin Point Reyes 2013 Pivot Mach 5.7

squish, squish in da fish
    i like the more cowbell idea

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I use my sqeaking Avid Elixer brakes to gain the attention of hikers and bikers. Actually, I have an Incredibel in brass where hikers and bikers keep asking me where is the ice cream. Works well for me. Or the loud squeal from my brakes that I need to fix.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My hope pro hub doubles as a bike bell

b a n n e d
    LOL . . . I have CK hubs, and I have startled many a hiker with it. The two that stand out are once when a woman freaked out and jumped, looking for a rattlesnake, and the other when a little boy shouted "mommy, his bike sounds broken!"

And to stay on topic, I ride with an active bell (i.e., one that I have to ring) vs. a passive-bell. I can't stand passive bells . . . the last thing I want to hear is someone constantly rattling themselves down the trail. I use the bell as a warning to hikers and when coming around blind turns.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trekusps View Post
    I use my sqeaking Avid Elixer brakes to gain the attention of hikers and bikers. Actually, I have an Incredibel in brass where hikers and bikers keep asking me where is the ice cream. Works well for me. Or the loud squeal from my brakes that I need to fix.
    After riding bikes with Avid BB7's for years, I recently got a bike with Avid hydros. I had no idea that disc brakes could make that much noise. Most of the time now, my bell is obsolete.

Trail Ninja
    The most inoffensive way to alert others of your presence, with the pleasant side effect of making people yield a path for you.

I have an Electra 8 Ball bell on my XC HT. It doesn't make any more unintentional racket than the "bear bells" people use, when the bike is taking big hits from the trail.
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS
    Trek Crockett

Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    LOL . . . I have CK hubs, and I have startled many a hiker with it. The two that stand out are once when a woman freaked out and jumped, looking for a rattlesnake, and the other when a little boy shouted "mommy, his bike sounds broken!"

And to stay on topic, I ride with an active bell (i.e., one that I have to ring) vs. a passive-bell. I can't stand passive bells . . . the last thing I want to hear is someone constantly rattling themselves down the trail. I use the bell as a warning to hikers and when coming around blind turns.
    I definitely agree that "passive bells" are more irritating than "active bells," especially for the rider using it! However, I find that when I use a passive bell I often warn hikers about my presence farther in advance than I would if I used an active bell. Hikers seem to appreciate it more and, if not, they're at least aware of your presence earlier so they don't get freaked out. I find that the first reaction to an active bell by hikers (myself included) is to get freaked out and jump out of the way, which ruins the hiking experience. But with a passive bell, they hear it plenty enough in advance that they're ready for the interaction. So, that's what I like about passive bells and I those trails that can get crowded.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    After riding bikes with Avid BB7's for years, I recently got a bike with Avid hydros. I had no idea that disc brakes could make that much noise. Most of the time now, my bell is obsolete.
    I hear you brother! I was in the same situation using Avid BB7s for years and recently upgraded due to a warranty replacement to a 2013 Trek Fuel EX7 that came with the Avid Elixer3s brakes.

Inspector Gadget
    I use a bear bell and I like it best on my pack. At slow speeds it will barely make noise and I can reach back to slap it if needed. Once the trail gets rough or I get going fast it will rattle enough to be heard. On one trail I ride that is almost 5 miles straight of downhill and often filled with hikers. I put the bell on my seat or bars so it gets the snot beat out of it. On that trail people are often standing to the sides waiting for me and say thank you as I approach them.

mtbr member
    I've got a Hope too. It sounds like a swarm of bees carrying rattlesnakes. And they're all very upset.

mtbr member
    Bells are right up there with reflectors and kick stands
    Yes sir!!

mtbr member
    Bells are often used as an excuse not to pay attention. If you see someone in the way call out to them and communicate. A bell will not do anything your own voice cannot.

You might ask, "What if I'm hauling balls down the hill past hikers and I'm too tired to make a sound with my voice?"
    Well then your just a prick with a bell that needs to find different trails.

Let me add this

If you have a bell cause you think they are cool and you just like them that's fine with me, but don't think ringing bells should act as a warning to other trail users to yield to you. Or that ringing a bell is better then calling out "On your left". Or that ringing an annoying bell is some how better then saying "Excuse me".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mLNFH3pINxI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rogue Exterminator
    I just yell "STRAVA!" or quote a Ludacris track.

Either does the trick just fine.

(BTW, disclaimer I really don't yell either and usually politely say hello on approach)
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    I've always had bells on my bikes. Having one manages to annoy the angry hiker and the rad rider in equal measure - whilst ensuring I remain on the responsible moral high ground and doing the right thing.
    Translation: I'm a prick with a bell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post

If your coming around a blind turn and hear a bell while ringing your own bell what happens? Do you stop if you heard their bell first? Do the two of you crash into each other and get your bells rung?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    I definitely agree that "passive bells" are more irritating than "active bells," especially for the rider using it! However, I find that when I use a passive bell I often warn hikers about my presence farther in advance than I would if I used an active bell. Hikers seem to appreciate it more and, if not, they're at least aware of your presence earlier so they don't get freaked out. I find that the first reaction to an active bell by hikers (myself included) is to get freaked out and jump out of the way, which ruins the hiking experience. But with a passive bell, they hear it plenty enough in advance that they're ready for the interaction. So, that's what I like about passive bells and I those trails that can get crowded.
    You ride around with a loud bell on your person thank clings, clanks, bings, and bongs down the whole trail with every bump you hit, and you think this is polite?

That's it I've changed my mind Bells(passive) are for self righteous *******s.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Bells are often used as an excuse not to pay attention. If you see someone in the way call out to them and communicate. A bell will not do anything your own voice cannot.

You might ask, "What if I'm hauling balls down the hill past hikers and I'm too tired to make a sound with my voice?"
    Well then your just a prick with a bell that needs to find different trails.

Let me add this

If you have a bell cause you think they are cool and you just like them that's fine with me, but don't think ringing bells should act as a warning to other trail users to yield to you. Or that ringing a bell is better then calling out "On your left". Or that ringing an annoying bell is some how better then saying "Excuse me".

When I used one, I noticed hikers appreciate a bell sound over someone yelling "on your left". It's a more polite way of getting their attention. Either one works, but a hiker's response is much friendlier with a bell. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    When I used one, I noticed hikers appreciate a bell sound over someone yelling "on your left". It's a more polite way of getting their attention. Either one works, but a hiker's response is much friendlier with a bell. YMMV.
    You could also say hello, coming up behind you, how are you doing, or any number of things.

mtbr member
    I think it would be awfully annoying to mountain bike with a bell rattling on my bike...
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You ride around with a loud bell on your person thank clings, clanks, bings, and bongs down the whole trail with every bump you hit, and you think this is polite?

That's it I've changed my mind Bells(passive) are for self righteous *******s.
    Actually, the bell isn't too irritating and I've had several hikers mention that it sounds nice. Regardless, the point is that active bells only work when you see the hiker, and often times when you ring an active bell it startles the hiker and ruins the experience for them or you're too close, regardless of how fast youre going, e.g., a blind switchback. I didn't mention anything about a passive bell being more polite, just more safe in my experience. Also, Some of my local trails are very crowded and a passive bells are at the trailhead entrance, put there by the local mtb club to avoid further confrontations with hikers. Not sure how any of this has to do with being self-righteous.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

You could also say hello, coming up behind you, how are you doing, or any number of things.
    When climbing that works - coming down you need to be loud enough so that they can hear you before you're right up on them, otherwise you'll scare the **** outta them.

mtbr member
    Actually, the bell isn't too irritating
    Says the person that rides with one strapped to their person.

[QUOTE=LowLow;10565717 when you ring an active bell it startles the hiker and ruins the experience for them [/QUOTE]

But "ring-a-ding donging" down the trail enhances the outdoor experience. After all, several hikers mentioned it sounded "nice".

or you're too close, regardless of how fast youre going, e.g., a blind switchback.
    Ride within your ability to stop.

Not sure how any of this has to do with being self-righteous.
    1: You feel it is your right to ring a loud bell down the entirety of a trail. A bell that is loud enough to be heard further then your own voice.

2:You use this bell because you ride at such speed that you become a danger to those around you. Your in ability(or indifference) to slow down at blind corners or down hills necessitates the need for a bell in your mind.

3: you feel that because you have the bell you are a more responsible(safer) trail user.

and a passive bells are at the trail head entrance, put there by the local mtb club to avoid further confrontations with hikers.
    I understand a mountain bike group wanting to help. I don't like them and i believe they are an excuse for poor trail manners for the following reasons.

A bell makes a reckless rider less likely to run people down. The noise that they make alerts hikers to move out the way of the bike coming their way.

However, Mountain bikers DO NOT have the right of way. It is our responsibility to watch out for hikers equestrians and YIELD the trail to them. The bell is acting as an alarm that danger is approaching and whoever hears the noise should be cautious.

You have the responsibility to ride within you ability to stop. Blind corners are a trail hazard and should be slowed down for. A loud bell gives you no right to go fast around a turn hopping some family and their kids got off the trail for you.

If you are already riding within your limits what purpose does the bell serve? (other then making a constant racket down the trail)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast