Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Refitting my Bike

I currently own a Mongoose XR200. I love this bike but i am making changes to it.
    -tires... My tires have gone flat because they have gone bald and a thorn bush, i never like the tires anyway, they also warped and are not true. Its a 26" bike. The front tire im looking for acceleration and great cornering ability. the back i am looking for all around traction in all terrain. Would a wider back tire be better? Im not just looking for the treads, i need
    -the rear derailleur pops when I accelerate quickly by standing and putting all my weight on the petals (Im 6'4" and 150lbs). the easiest way i can describe it is when push the petal down quickly, the derailleur doesn't respond quick enough and leaves chain hanging, and pops back into place, it really screws with my acceleration by making it harder.
    -the rear suspension seems a stiff to me, i dont plan spending too much time and money on this part.
    -maybe a cheap better front disk brake, not again spending too much money
    -rear axle?

I do plan on takeing this bike out for more intense riding as soon as i can drive by myself, about 3 months

mtbr member
    To be honest you're kinda polishing a turd here, the amount of money you are looking at spending is going to be more than the cost of your bike. You would be better off buying a better bike if you can afford it. Mongoose does make some nice bikes, but you probably won't find them in department stores.

Flat six
    Feb 2011
    Yeah, this sounds like a bit of a money pit. With most bikes like this you'd be doing yourself a favor with a new bike. You don't have to spend a ton and you'll like whatever you get so much that it will motivate you to enjoy biking even more. It's a win win win.

mtbr member
    Get a new bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Everyone's going to tell you to buy a new bike. But for me, that wasn't an option. I'm still rocking my 6 year old Toys R Us special, a few parts here and there when things either broke, or i wasn't happy with. Just search around the reviews section for a set of tires that fits your riding style as well as your budget. As for the rear mech, i'm not sure why it does what you're saying it does. I'm not too experienced with mountain biking. For the rear suspsension, i'm assuming your bike has a rear coil shock that's extremely stiff for the bike? Cause that's how mine is. For me though, i plan on picking up the shock i will use on my next bike (plan on building from the frame up). That way i'm not wasting money. Front brake, well, a new set of sintered pads wouldn't be bad, assuming your front pads are already pretty worn. Axle? What do you mean...?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    its a front disk brake... im looking into tires, but the rims ans spoke type/brand help... when i get the money for a new bike, Im getting one. And Ill just switch out the good wheels im getting now. The bike im looking at is about $700-$1000 but i dont currently have that much and between insurance for my car and the school year, my income has greatly dropped

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have a Mongoose (walgoose) XR500, $500, that when new about 8 years ago I added a rear disc ,rims,and 8 speed casset, from a XR700 purchaced for about $40.00 as warrantee parts from Pacific's warrantee department. I still have that bike but switched to a 09 Diamondback Mission 1 purchaced for $1400 May 2010. The Mongoose is what it is, but you can do. So much better for much less $ by seeking out either a new leftover or good quality used bike. Sorry I know you said your short on funds, I know whats like but unless you can get the parts dirt cheap like I did its just not worth it.

mtbr member
    We need more information if you want decent help. I gather that a new bike is out of the question for now.

As for your tyres - there are plenty of options out there. Not sure how a tyre can warp though...are you referring to the rim? In which case the wheel? Which then flows on to the next bit - are you referring to the tyre or wheel when talking about the acceleration? Normally you want good traction in the front and acceleration from the rear tyre, as that is what you are driving by pedaling....Also, the wider tyre goes up front, as that is where you want the traction.

What is happening with your RD? Is it a case of phantom shifting? Do you need new pulleys? Lube?

Your shock - what type is it?

Need more information for the brake - what is wrong? Would new pads/cables/bleed fix it?

No idea what you are on about regarding the rear axle.

It sounds like you need to sort out what is wrong with it in your own head first before asking questions. The clearer you can be, the more help you will get.

noob
    Jan 2006
    I think you should a decent used hardtail, or at the very least pick up a used hardtail frame and swap components to it.
    The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing more helpess and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an either binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    We need more information if you want decent help. I gather that a new bike is out of the question for now.

As for your tyres - there are plenty of options out there. Not sure how a tyre can warp though...are you referring to the rim? In which case the wheel? Which then flows on to the next bit - are you referring to the tyre or wheel when talking about the acceleration? Normally you want good traction in the front and acceleration from the rear tyre, as that is what you are driving by pedaling....Also, the wider tyre goes up front, as that is where you want the traction.

What is happening with your RD? Is it a case of phantom shifting? Do you need new pulleys? Lube?

Your shock - what type is it?

Need more information for the brake - what is wrong? Would new pads/cables/bleed fix it?

No idea what you are on about regarding the rear axle.

It sounds like you need to sort out what is wrong with it in your own head first before asking questions. The clearer you can be, the more help you will get.
    my bike is all stock... the link is cut in five because i cant post links yet...

ht
    tp://ww
    w.wa
    lmart.com/ip/Mongoose-26-X
    R-200-Bike/10660673

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    But I do know whatever parts i get for this bike i am able to place on any new bike i get.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by THeJoseph123 View Post
    my bike is all stock... the link is cut in five because i cant post links yet...

ht
    w.wa
    lmart.com/ip/Mongoose-26-X
    R-200-Bike/10660673
    Thanks for the link, but that does not address some of the fundamental questions I asked. That has just told me the spec of your bike. If it were me, I would replace what absolutely needs to be replaced to keep it running and save your money to get a better bike when you can. It is far cheaper that way than getting components...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the link, but that does not address some of the fundamental questions I asked. That has just told me the spec of your bike. If it were me, I would replace what absolutely needs to be replaced to keep it running and save your money to get a better bike when you can. It is far cheaper that way than getting components...
    thanks for your help... im looking at a few on ebay...
    ht
    w.ebay.co
    m/itm/New-black-mongoose-full-s
    uspension-mountain-bike-2011-/250705342970?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item3a5f33f1fa#ht_500wt_922

and

ht
    tp://w
    ww.eb
    ay.co
    m/itm/Full
    -suspension-2011-XL
    -frame-Teocali-Super-/160648075079?
    pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item25675f1747#ht_500wt_1287

im sorry again about the links, as soon as i can put them up correctly i will

mtbr member
    thanks for your help... im looking at a few on ebay...
    ht
    w.ebay.co
    m/itm/New-black-mongoose-full-s
    uspension-mountain-bike-2011-/250705342970?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item3a5f33f1fa#ht_500wt_922

and

ht
    tp://w
    ww.eb
    ay.co
    m/itm/Full
    -suspension-2011-XL
    -frame-Teocali-Super-/160648075079?
    pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item25675f1747#ht_500wt_1287

im sorry again about the links, as soon as i can put them up correctly i will
    What are you after now? Have you given up on upgrading? Are these the two bikes you are interested in getting? What are you wanting to achieve by posting the links up?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What are you after now? Have you given up on upgrading? Are these the two bikes you are interested in getting? What are you wanting to achieve by posting the links up?
    im trying to figure which bike to work for, i am getting a nice set of tires for my current bike. Im getting wheels i can switch out and put on the new one... But im wanting to know which to work for

mtbr member
    im trying to figure which bike to work for, i am getting a nice set of tires for my current bike. Im getting wheels i can switch out and put on the new one... But im wanting to know which to work for
    How long do you think it will take you to save up the required amount? If it will be a while, just save and see what is around when you get there.

Otherwise, what is your preferred riding style? Which do you think will suit that best? Have you tried them? Don't necessarily restrict yourself to one marque - geometry and fit is more important. Go to your LBS's and look around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    How long do you think it will take you to save up the required amount? If it will be a while, just save and see what is around when you get there.

Otherwise, what is your preferred riding style? Which do you think will suit that best? Have you tried them? Don't necessarily restrict yourself to one marque - geometry and fit is more important. Go to your LBS's and look around.
    ill try that thanks and saving up at my current income/expence rate would be about 2 years

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Craigslist???

noob
    Jan 2006
    You posted two bikes, one for $1400 and one for $250 and ask which one to work for?

Take the money you will spend on upgrading your current mongoose and go buy a used hardtail - there's plenty near me on craigslist for under $300.

I say this because you'll be back at this point in less than 6 months with the dept. store bike, and you'll be agonizing again on whether or not to save your money or fix it.

If you get a used hardtail, you can pick up newer (not new, newer) components as you get the $ and end up with a pretty decent bike that you can ride until the day arrives that you can afford to drop $2k on a nice FS bike. And then you'll still probably hang on to it just for nostalgia. In the meantime you'll have learned how to swap components, and you'll have a better skill set that will make you appreciate the FS even more.
    The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing more helpess and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an either binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon...

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    You're 6'4" and weigh just 150? You need to eat dude

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    You're 6'4" and weigh just 150? You need to eat dude

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    I eat like i should be 200lbs... i cant help it, im lean and that's it. My metabolism is very fast

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stolpsgti View Post
    You posted two bikes, one for $1400 and one for $250 and ask which one to work for?

Take the money you will spend on upgrading your current mongoose and go buy a used hardtail - there's plenty near me on craigslist for under $300.

I say this because you'll be back at this point in less than 6 months with the dept. store bike, and you'll be agonizing again on whether or not to save your money or fix it.

If you get a used hardtail, you can pick up newer (not new, newer) components as you get the $ and end up with a pretty decent bike that you can ride until the day arrives that you can afford to drop $2k on a nice FS bike. And then you'll still probably hang on to it just for nostalgia. In the meantime you'll have learned how to swap components, and you'll have a better skill set that will make you appreciate the FS even more.
    This may sound stupid, but i DO NOT want a hard tail... Dont bother asking why. I dont want a hardtail

noob
    Jan 2006
    This may sound stupid, but i DO NOT want a hard tail... Dont bother asking why. I dont want a hardtail
    I get it: except that based on the information in this thread, I have to assume that you can't afford a decent one. I'm trying to save you frustration, agony, and $.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stolpsgti View Post
    I get it: except that based on the information in this thread, I have to assume that you can't afford a decent one. I'm trying to save you frustration, agony, and $.
    truth is, im stuck in a area with no trails within biking distance or an hour driving time. And I cant drive to get to these far away trails for about 2 years, I can save about $1,000 by then...

noob
    Jan 2006
    truth is, im stuck in a area with no trails within biking distance or an hour driving time. And I cant drive to get to these far away trails for about 2 years, I can save about $1,000 by then...
    So then you have two choices:

Break out the turd polish and buy new components for a bike that you've said yourself you're going to try and destroy, and end up at square one in a few months.

OR

Buy a halfway decent used bike and go from there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast