mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Recon gold tk motion control upgrade

Can I upgrade to just the recon unit or would reba or revelation work better? Is that the only different in the forks? I was debating upgrading to a reba rl

mtbr member
    Μust be more than that as the weight difference between Recon and Reba is significant. Also I own a Recon Gold RL with MoCo and so far it's been good performing and reliable. A workhorse of a fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well I have a gold tk and have ridden a friend recon gold rl and saw a minor difference. He just recently got a revelation xx and that thing is nasty. I want something similar in valving just not overkill. I am looking at the revelation and reba rl but might find the revelation overkill

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Tk is on off lockout without compression adjustment. The Rl damper or motion control offers adjustable dampening if you like it firmer and want to open it up for dh. Now what the reba will offer is all aluminum upper stanchions and steertube vs the recon steel ones. Weight savings. Depends if your a weight weenie. The reba will have motion control which will also have low speed compression adjustability. Which will affect how stiff or plush you want the beggining of the compression stroke.
    Puttion motion control on there by itself will be an uprade. You can firm up the whole stroke without locking it out. I used to use the option quite a bit as i prefered it over a mushy front in many non demanding trail situations.

The low.speed compression on the higher end motion control is a set it and leave it dial to tune it to your taste when moco is wide open. The moco lever itself is an on the fly adjustment if you still want suspension but dont want it so squishy.

I saybif your on a.budget and like the idea of moco just get damper. You will find spots on where to set the lever depending on what your doing.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 03-12-2013 at 02:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The other thing is recon is 100mm fork and revelation is 150mm. Thats a huge difference in changing the geometry of the bike. Changing the geometry that much may increase dh ability but may adversly affect the bikes climbing abilty. A 150 bike is rather designed for the 150 fork for climbing and dh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This is a 120mm bike and yes I am aware of the size of both forks but each can be converted to 120mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Revmoto View Post
    This is a 120mm bike and yes I am aware of the size of both forks but each can be converted to 120mm.
    oops i forgot aboutbthat. Well atleast down to 130 anyway as far as the rev goes

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Or you could do a fox float converted to 130 because ther axle to crown measurement on their 32mm stanchion.forks is approximately 10 mm lower than rockshox.
    Oops my bad fox floats dont.go to 130. Only 120 and 140.

Hey but a fox 140 is only about 12mm taller axle to crown than RS 120. and a float 120 sit 8 mm lower than the rs 120.