mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Recommend me a trail/enduro bike ($4000 budget)

Im fairly new to mountain biking (two years) coming from the roadie side. My current MB is a very nice Giant Anthem Advanced SX XC bike. I love the bike but purchased it with a roadie mentality where weight was a top priority. While the bikes capability far exceeds my skills, I feel like some extra travel would benefit me on some of the more technical rides. I'm leaning toward another Giant bike simply cause I can get nearly 30% off any 2018 bike. Right now looking at the 2018 Trance Advanced 1 with 140/150 travel. The bike MSRP's at $5000 but I can purchase it for $4200 OTD. What other bikes in this price range do you recommend?
    BTW I'm 5'6" and weight 158lbs.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    You're not gona beat that. Yes you could spend less money and get a really fun/great bike, but the Trance 1 is decked out and a great value. On a further positive note, it will turn and change lines as well as your Anthem. If the Anthem is older than 2015 you will notice the Trance changes lines better AND remains composed over the rough.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    You're not gona beat that. Yes you could spend less money and get a really fun/great bike, but the Trance 1 is decked out and a great value. On a further positive note, it will turn and change lines as well as your Anthem. If the Anthem is older than 2015 you will notice the Trance changes lines better AND remains composed over the rough.

My Anthem Advanced SX is 2016.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Also take a look at the Reign. Might be more than you need but worth comparing with the Trance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    30% off of $5000 is $3500, not $4200. You're getting 16% off- something you can negotiate from many a manager for other better bikes. Start demoing and find out what works. A new bike coming soon is the Evil Following V2. Canyon has a new Strive coming with Boost 148 that'll fit 2.5" tires as a second option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    30% off of $5000 is $3500, not $4200. You're getting 16% off something you can negotiate from many a manager for other better bikes. Start demoing and find out what works.
    otd.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    30% off of $5000 is $3500, not $4200. You're getting 16% off something you can negotiate from many a manager for other better bikes. Start demoing and find out what works.
    For reference, I got my 2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL, MSRP $4200, for $3500 out the door as soon as the bike was available.

WillWorkForTrail
    My only question is, do you want to stick with a 27.5 wheel, or do you want a 29er? Frankly, if you're cool with 27.5, the Trance is going to be a tough bike to beat for the money. Although, I would, as suggested, include the Reign as a comparison, because I friend of mine rides a Reign around in what I would clearly call Trance or Anthem territory and doesn't have any trouble keeping up, but he also hits all the drops, etc. - so there's that.

I've also got a good relationship with my Giant dealer, and want something bigger than my Anthem 29er, but I want a 29er, so Giant is right out. Bikes I'm considering:

SC Hightower
    GG Smash
    Tantrum Shining
    Canfield Toir

mtbr member
    At that budget your going to have a pretty big list, I think first you need to pick a wheel size and go from there.

I just bought a new Spot Mayhem, it can go 27.5+ or 29, after one demo ride I had to have it, I was blown away how this bike can climb and was no slouch when decending.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    YT Jeffsy CF1 model packs a lot of punch in that price range.

mtbr member
    Almost a hindrance at that price, sooooo many choices...definitely, if straight away you get 30percent off brand new Giants, probably cannot go wrong. Getting the perfect fit is the challenge. I would ride as many bikes as possible, even a spin around the block to see how the size and reach etc....work for you. Most likely you can tweak the Trance to fit you no matter what, value wise hard to beat that, 3500 for a 5k trance, not sure what the 4200 is unless math is wrong....at 4200....I would be checking out Pivot line, Guerilla Gravity Smash, Evil, I know Niner does not get lots of love, but they have some
    sweet bikes, rip rdo start at 3900...but with the Trance, your getting probably better drive train right off the bat....

mtbr member
    Bronson

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    My only question is, do you want to stick with a 27.5 wheel, or do you want a 29er? Frankly, if you're cool with 27.5, the Trance is going to be a tough bike to beat for the money. Although, I would, as suggested, include the Reign as a comparison, because I friend of mine rides a Reign around in what I would clearly call Trance or Anthem territory and doesn't have any trouble keeping up, but he also hits all the drops, etc. - so there's that.

I've also got a good relationship with my Giant dealer, and want something bigger than my Anthem 29er, but I want a 29er, so Giant is right out. Bikes I'm considering:

SC Hightower
    GG Smash
    Tantrum Shining
    Canfield Toir
    I have a Canfield Riot. Can't call it a Tior lol. This bike for me at least rides very well regular XC rides are still fun since the wheel base isn't to long. And when it gets chunky it comes alive.

mtbr member
    Have a look at Transitions 2018 lineup.
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Jeffsy or my favorite the Foes trail mixer, an amazing bike...

Get Down Do you
    Look at some online deals on 2017 bikes so you are not paying tax and it's a win/win. I recently bought a SC 5010 for 20% off and no tax because it's out of state so for me it's closer to 28% off. Now I just sit here super impatiently waiting for it to get here. I would have bought from my local LBS SC dealer especially after demoing 2 bikes from them but they weren't willing to come down on the price 8%.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muggsly View Post
    Look at some online deals on 2017 bikes so you are not paying tax and it's a win/win. I recently bought a SC 5010 for 20% off and no tax because it's out of state so for me it's closer to 28% off. Now I just sit here super impatiently waiting for it to get here. I would have bought from my local LBS SC dealer especially after demoing 2 bikes from them but they weren't willing to come down on the price 8%.
    If you know what you want to get this is the way to go. My last build I saved $400 just on the frame alone because it was a previous year model.
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    Im fairly new to mountain biking (two years) coming from the roadie side. My current MB is a very nice Giant Anthem Advanced SX XC bike. I love the bike but purchased it with a roadie mentality where weight was a top priority. While the bikes capability far exceeds my skills, I feel like some extra travel would benefit me on some of the more technical rides. I'm leaning toward another Giant bike simply cause I can get nearly 30% off any 2018 bike. Right now looking at the 2018 Trance Advanced 1 with 140/150 travel. The bike MSRP's at $5000 but I can purchase it for $4200 OTD. What other bikes in this price range do you recommend?
    BTW I'm 5'6" and weight 158lbs.
    Thanks!
    Even better, if you still still feel that current bike exceed your capability, go and invest money into better riding skills (skills clinics, coaching etc..), buying a new bike will not magically transform your riding into WC level riding. Attending to any skills clinic will demonstrate that clearly, if you still feel the need for new bike after clinic, go for it :-)

If money is no problem, then Trance 1 is a very good buy for that money, more than enough capable for you (if Anthem is enough...) just stick with Giant and save yourself from too much choice in modern trail/enduro segment

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Just got a Bronson. It seems Specialized and Santa Cruz dominate the market. Previously owned a Specialized and didn't want to repeat myself. Big fan of trying new things.