undercover brother

Recommend me a good sub $500 AM wheelset.

I'm looking for a sub $500 wheelset for my Transition TransAM. I'll be switching from SS to 1x9 and am looking for relibility, strength, a good rear hub. Gotta look good too! I'm looking at Azonic Outlaws right now, and also Kore Durox 2s (but I have not been able to find many reviews). Anything similar. Or if you have a wheelset, shoot me a PM!

mtbr member
    +1 wiggle or chain reaction hope pro 2 Evos laced to flows

undercover brother
    What about these compared to the hope pro 2s?

Easton Haven MTB Wheelset 2011 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    Easton rear hubs have had a tendency to blow up (particularly before 2012 model year) plus with the rims you are looking at true UST versus the Stan's tubeless system. There's a difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
    I like the idea of the rear hub being able to convert to 12mm TA, because I really want to run this 12mm to 10mm bolt on for added stiffness. How are the hubs compared to the pro2s?

As for the Eastons, I blew through an Easton hub earlier this year ironically. So, I guess its probably a good idea to steer clear of them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I don't know how they compare to the pro2s. I just got back into the sport about 6 months ago. What I can tell you is the rear hub is crazy loud but in a good way. The red hubs and nipples really pop and the cheesey sickers come off really eazy.

Where we live we have tons of loose rocks, and I have not had any dents or odd stuff happen and they are still in true. FWIW, I am 180 in gear and the bike is 29 pounds.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    and decent hub in WTB i23 rims. There rims are very light, pretty cheap, and seems very strong so far. I have been riding them for the past few months. I suggest them over the Stans rims which I'm runing on another wheel set. they told the tire better and are much easier to tires on and off of.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    + Hope Pro2's on Flows

El Pollo Diablo
    You ride a Transition but haven't considered any of their Revolution wheels?
    I've had three different sets, never a problem with any of them.
    Hell, my buddy Nick (all 300 pounds of him) is riding my old Rev32 rear wheel after 200 pounds of me rode it (for a couple years), still going strong!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    chargers, flows, arch ex

mtbr member
    Don't dick around and get Hope with Flows. Reliable, rebuildable, light, adjustable to ALL the axle standards (except the 150mm rear hub of course). and LOUD!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The new Hopes actually are getting toned down a bit sound wise due to their smoother engagement. Seems like the best have been said here, though. i23's or Flows laced to Hopes. Flow rims can be gotten for very cheap right now since they just came out with the EX's.

undercover brother
    Seems like the consensus is hopes laced to flows. It'll be a few weeks til I can order them. I'll give my review when I finally get them. Thanks

The White Jeff W
    Sun Ringle pro hubs roll 1000x better than Hope Pro 2's. My advice is to go with the Charger Pro wheelset
    No moss...

mtbr member
    I agree. I have a set of the Charger's and they've been awesome. I've actually purchased two different ones I've liked them so much.

Btw you have a PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanpatrickb View Post
    The new Hopes actually are getting toned down a bit sound wise due to their smoother engagement. Seems like the best have been said here, though. i23's or Flows laced to Hopes. Flow rims can be gotten for very cheap right now since they just came out with the EX's.
    What do mean by "NEW" hopes? Were they released @ interbike?

mtbr member

Get the chargers

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Sun Ringle pro hubs roll 1000x better than Hope Pro 2's. My advice is to go with the Charger Pro wheelset
    Agree 100% with this! I have 2 sets of hope hoops, which are freaking awesome wheels. If you can get the Charger pro's close to the hope pro 2 in pricing I would get them. I think the hubs are better, though the hopes are really great. The hubs on the charger pro's are convert-able in any way except to 150mm by just switching end caps AND they give you all the adapters when you buy the wheels. Also, IMO the chargers are stiffer than the hope pro2 to ex500's that I have which is surprising seeing as how they have lower spoke count. The Charger rim is a somewhat beefed up flow with eyelets. Best sleeper wheel set out there. And yes, they roll significantly quicker.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    What do mean by "NEW" hopes? Were they released @ interbike?
    Sorry, I just meant an update to the current range. Shown at Eurobike. Pinkbike has a mention about it in their Eurobike coverage, "Randoms Part 1".

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Would you guys recommend the Charger Pro over the Black Flag Pro? From what I can tell they are both convertible correct? Also, is the Charger Pro more of an AM wheel compared to the Black Flag Pro?
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    +1 For the Hope Pro 2 Evo on flows. I emailed hope a few weeks ago and they said all rims leaving there factory that did have Flow's on now have the newer Flow EX, so make sure you get the new new Flow EX!