mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Rear Wheel build

Hope XC rear, and DT Swiss 5.1d

or save a little dough and gain a bunch of weight for Singletrack rims

or slightly lighter (non welded rims) Mavic X321(cheapest option by far)

Will have brass nips, and double butted spokes.

using it for Trail/All Mountain/ Aggressive XC or whatever. (no drops over 3')

HELP, the price difference is significant.

Life is Good
    Also keep into consideration the Hope Bulb and the Hope Pro II rear hubs. They are great hubs at a great price.

I'd go for the Hopes and DT Swiss, myself.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Alex FD28 has the same width as the DT 5.1d, is 10g lighter and about 60% cheaper. I built a set with these rims and have had a trouble free half of last season and beginning of this one. I have a 5.1d on another set and while 5.1d has a nicer finish, the FD isn't any weaker.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Custom User Title
    I run with Mavic 823's. There are lighter hoops out there, Mavic say 657g, but I like the durability and UST is the only way to go. As for price Pricepoint says $89.98 and they are lighter too at 580g.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    I run with Mavic 823's. There are lighter hoops out there, Mavic say 657g, but I like the durability and UST is the only way to go. As for price Pricepoint says $89.98 and they are lighter too at 580g.
    Pricepoint isn't selling a lighter rim, it is simply not factoring in the weight of nipple retainers into that number. Mavic's weight sounds more accurate. For most unbiased weights check out weightweenies.starbike.com.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Judd97
    Also keep into consideration the Hope Bulb and the Hope Pro II rear hubs. They are great hubs at a great price.

I'd go for the Hopes and DT Swiss, myself.
    The Pro II and the Bulb hubs look exactly the same... except the pro II is lighter and cheaper... do you know the differences?

Also I am considering now the Alex FD28, and the WTB Speedisc Trail (also light and wide... anyone have experience with the WTB offering?)

Life is Good
    The Pro II's have an aluminum cassette body compared to the Bulb's Titanium.

However, the Pro II have 4-pawl ratchets which equals 24 engagement points in comparison to the Bulb's 3-pawl (21 engagement).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Alex FD28 has the same width as the DT 5.1d, is 10g lighter and about 60% cheaper. I built a set with these rims and have had a trouble free half of last season and beginning of this one. I have a 5.1d on another set and while 5.1d has a nicer finish, the FD isn't any weaker.

_MK
    I have been using the FD28, too. Nice rims, especially for the price. My pair weighed right at 500g each.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common