mtbr member

Rear triangle mounted mudguard/fender

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a mudguard that mounts to the rear triangle, eg. on the seat stays instead of the seat post. I've seen one the other day on someones full suspension bike, and it looks more practical on a full suspension bike.

Thanks.

usually cranky
    like on the spec demo's?

mtbr member
    I'm not certain what the Demo's fender looks like, but i'm after something with the coverage of a rear (seat post) fender like this, but mounts on the rear triangle, something like this (but obviously not requiring v-brake studs). The one i saw on the trail was mounted on via the seat stays.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    I was wondering if anyone can recommend a mudguard that mounts to the rear triangle, eg. on the seat stays instead of the seat post. I've seen one the other day on someones full suspension bike, and it looks more practical on a full suspension bike.

Thanks.
    Mounting is custom for a rear tri mounted fender, unless OEM like a few shorty stylish but nearly useless fenders such as on a few Specialized and others.

If any fender could be adapted to a wide range of bikes it would be the Crud rear fender, such as my custom use even with very tight 650b wheel clearance, http://www.crudusa.com/product/14/10
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear triangle mounted mudguard/fender-mojofenderssidesmall.jpg  

mtbr member
    Interesting setup, Derby, looks very effective. Is that fender in the seat stay area also the Crud Raceguard? How is it mounted there?

switchback sculptor
    ^...somebody has accessoritus, could be terminal.
    Last edited by erosive; 06-16-2010 at 10:23 AM.

El Pollo Diablo
    yeah, double mudguards on the back?
    you really don't like the skunk stripe, do ya?

usually cranky
    you have so many guards, presumably, you ride in alot of mud, but, the guard on the rear tire is so tight if you get mud in the treads it seems like you would be screwed. explanation please?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If you don't want to get muddy, why are you mountain biking?
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession
    If you don't want to get muddy, why are you mountain biking?
    I mountain bike because it's fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I was referring to the guy who has 5 f#cking fenders in his bike.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

gnuH
    What is dangling from the downtube? A strip of rubber?
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    What is dangling from the downtube? A strip of rubber?
    It's a drive train slpash guard to keep spray off the front wheel off the chain. Made with an acrylic sheet cut with scissors, narrow enough for the crank arms to clear, then split to hang down in front of the chain, and the left 2/3's wraps up to velcro to the BB shell which guides the chain side to hang forward of the rings.

It used to be a long one piece downtube mud guard the chain guard extension, first done by "brown teeth", a long time MTBR contributor. Last winter after finding these Crud fenders, I cut the upper part off and slid the lower chain guard section behind the lower mount of the nicer looking (but a little narrower and less effective) Crud downtube fender.

It keeps the chain, rings and cogs about 85% cleaner on mud spray days, some mud still drips off the rear tire and rear fenders or otherwise gets by. Big difference for reducing chain suck and extending drive train wear.

I did some research on getting a nicer looking more stiff fender production run molded up. A minimum of $4k for a 100 batch run, before packaging and shipping. Any sponsors/ partners out there? (Didn't think so...)