mtbr member

Rear Swing Arm Conversion from QR to 10/12mm through bolt.

Hi,

I have a 2008 Specialized Enduro Expert which I've heavily upgraded from standard but I've currently got an issue with the rear QR and was hoping someone more techy than me may have the answer.

I've recently fitted a Hope Pro 2 Evo QR rear hub to replace the worn out 6 year old standard DT SWISS 370 hub as I'm basically looking to stiffen up the rear end. I've only just built a new wheel with the hope pro 2 hub which originally came as a 135x12mm, so I bought new QR cups for a conversion. My issue I'm having is slight side to side play with the rear wheel as the QR skewer does not fit as snuggly as i'm guessing it is meant to, it was even worse with the DT SWISS hub!

Is it possible and has anyone ever converted a rear swing arm from QR to a 10/12mm bolt through? I know it may involve some fresh drilling but I'm keen to try and evolve the bike.

Cheers,

Matt.
    I ate all my carrotts when I was a little boy, so why do I need these lights to see in the dark???

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I had a hub that I was able to use a DT Swiss 10mm RWS thru bolt on. As long as there are 10mm endcaps for the Hope hub this should work for you. Normal QR dropouts are 10mm, so if yours is the same all you'll need is encaps and the thru bolt. No modifications should be required. This is what I did on my '08 Giant Trance X.

smartass
    There are 12mm-10mm step down axles available that will allow you to use your 135x12mm hub in the 10mm dropouts.

Loaded makes a nice alloy one that's pretty light, Azonic makes a steel one that really ****ing heavy. Both are proper bolt-on axles and will stiffen things up, even in an open, QR dropout.

I used this exact combination (135x12mm Hope Pro 2 Evo hub with stepdown axle) on my Santa Cruz Nickel which had QR dropouts.

whatever she says gueuze.
    Either option will work for you because most stock 'qr' dropouts are 10mm. I'd go with the cheaper of the two because honestly, I can't tell the difference between a 10mm and 12mm bolt thru. The step down axle will probably be cheaper because that's all you'll need to buy. Otherwise, you'd need the 10mm Hope end caps + 10mm dt swiss or another brand bolt thru axle.

mtbr member
    Cheers guys, I've just bought a 12mm-10mm step down axle from Sun Ringle on CRC, it says I can use either the screw ends provided or my Hope QR Skewer will work to stiffen things up, happy days!
    I ate all my carrotts when I was a little boy, so why do I need these lights to see in the dark???

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I did similar to a recent hardtail build. Used the 10mm bolt-thru caps for the hope pro2 evo and the DT swiss RWS 10mm skewer. Works great, holds tight, and feels stiff.