mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Rear shock upgrade...Need Help

Hi guys, I'm brand spankin' new to this site and almost as new to biking I've recently received a hand-me down GT XCR 5000 basically stock except the drive components...front fork coming next week (Rock Shox Tora 318 Solo Air 130mm). The rear shock is the stock RST 22...Feels like I'm riding in a car with bad struts. A 6.5" shock is what will fit.... I'm looking at Rock Shox Monarch 4.2 and Fox Float shocks. Are these good, compatible options? I ride alot of single and double track. All comments and help offered is greatly appreciated!!!!
    Last edited by TaporSnap; 08-19-2009 at 06:37 PM.

LDH
    mtbr member
    look on ebay for a 6.5" shock, they go for quite a bit more than the longer shocks but will improve your ride greatly.

how heavy are you ??
    Shock prolly not the issue, are you an aggressive/heavy rider?
    Shock will help the plush aspect, no the squirrelry issue....
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    No, i'm 6'2, 160ish. It's not really squirrelly, just not crisp handling....lets just say that you can tell its a Suntour...durable but not exactly top notch. My dad has Fox Float RP23 on Ventana X5 frame, and 36 Float RC2 fork....now thats handling imo. but anyhoo...
    Last edited by TaporSnap; 08-19-2009 at 08:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TaporSnap
    No, i'm 6'2, 160ish. It's not really squirrelly, just not crisp handling....lets just say that you can tell its a Suntour...durable but not exactly top notch. My dad has Fox Float RP23 on Ventana X5 frame, and 36 Float RC2 fork....now thats handling imo. but anyhoo...
    RP23 are nice because of the adjustable/switchable Propedal (if you can afford it or find a great deal), but a normal Float is still a pretty good shock, and it's fairly easy to find the 6.5"x1.5" size.

I haven't used the Monarch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the help, fellas!

Members who have read this thread: 0