mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Rear Shock Suggestions

I have a 2001 GT i-Drive 3.0 that i have recently started replace some parts on. I consider myself an "All-Mountain" rider, nothing to extreme but i do like to hit some small drops and jumps.

At my bike guys recommendation i picked up a Marzocchi XC 600 TST2 w/120mm travel to replace the original RS Judy SL. He is now saying that the front is a little high with the added travel and i should get a better rear shock to help with the bob to prevent the front end from going up when from bobbing when i climb.

So my 2 questions are; 1. Will the 120mm of travel be too much for my bike? 2. Will replacing the original fox float rear shock help and if so i'd appreciate any recommendations for a nice smooth, reliable rear shock. I am finding it difficult to find a good one that is the right size (6.5" eye to eye).

Thank you for any help that you can give. I'm just getting back into riding and i don't need to be making it harder on myself with the wrong equipment.

just along for the ride
    I've run that frame with a 125mm fox fork and it works well, relaxes the ride downhill cause the original 80mm fork made it twitchy. Climbing its still fine. The fox float rear shock works OK no need to mess with it unless it needs service then you might want to contact the Push people for a rebuild and custom tune for your style of riding. I also hope you are light and stay on the pedals descending cause that frame had a very weak seat mast that will crack, mine did and they sent me a new frame '03 that I still use. Have fun!

mtbr member
    i dont think that an extra 20mm will make the front too high and the fox float is a great shox and will hold up (i have one on my reign 3 and like it a lot) if you do find that it has more bob than you like you could put more air in it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpbrick
    i dont think that an extra 20mm will make the front too high and the fox float is a great shox and will hold up (i have one on my reign 3 and like it a lot) if you do find that it has more bob than you like you could put more air in it.
    I weigh about 170. Do you know what the proper air pressure is on the Fox Float?

Thanks for the feedback on the fork guys! And i have read alot on the seat post mount cracking on these i-Drives. I hope mine doesn't crack...i love this bike.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    It really goes by sag, or how much the shock compresses when you sit on the saddle. Sag should be 15-25% of the shock's stroke (15% for more XC, 25% for a little extra cush)

just along for the ride
    There was a plastic caliper type tool to set rear sag on the shock, or just put a zip tie on the shock and set sag at ~ 20% of its travel with you on the bike. Usually set shock PSI at your riding weight, 10# more for a firm ride and less for a softer ride, have fun!

mtbr member
    like they said about 20% of the travel when you sit on it i run mine at 150-160psi and i weigh 130 i dont know what that would mean though

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    CCDB

mx