mtbr member

New question here. rear shock...residual oil?

bought a used rp23 and it was supposedly sitting for a season.
    it's very clean...holds air, but at the end of each ride there is some oil on the shaft / stanchion.
    is this due to low usage before I bought it?
    is it normal for the rp23?

aggressive trail riding with lots of tech...no drops or freeriding.

thanks.

T.W.O
    Oil leaking is not normal. The seals probably need to be replaced.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    If the skock is has minimal use, it should be okay. This should be the FOX Float fluid used to lube the seals. Do you hear any noises like a swoosh as it cycles? Do the rebound and Propedal functions work? If so, you should be okay. Typically when all the oil dries up on the shaft, I relube mine using the FOX air can mantenance procedures on their website to avoid the seals from drying up. If they do get to the point it leaks air, an air can seal kit is under $20 and comes with some float fluid.

mtbr member

oil

Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    If the skock is has minimal use, it should be okay. This should be the FOX Float fluid used to lube the seals. Do you hear any noises like a swoosh as it cycles? Do the rebound and Propedal functions work? If so, you should be okay. Typically when all the oil dries up on the shaft, I relube mine using the FOX air can mantenance procedures on their website to avoid the seals from drying up. If they do get to the point it leaks air, an air can seal kit is under $20 and comes with some float fluid.
    there is a "slurp" noise as the shock compresses (i've had shocks do this before).
    rebound and propedal work fine...and no air leaks.

is it an easy rebuild?
    If it lasts all summer and fall I'll likely send it off to PUSH.

thanks for the feedback...

Mr. Knowitall
    Slurping sounds like Nitrogen in the oil. Send to Fox or PUSH for rebuild. If it is PUSHed already, this could be a natural sound

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Slurping sounds like Nitrogen in the oil. Send to Fox or PUSH for rebuild. If it is PUSHed already, this could be a natural sound

stock shock...not PUSHED.

I honestly think that it sat for awhile and maybe the seals dried up a little?
    Operationally it feels great. Just weird how the residue shows up.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    when a shock is dry is when I start worry.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Bought a 2011 Stumpjumper frame for a new build (last month May 2012). It has an RP23s on it. Mine has some oil residue on the stanchion after every ride. I think it is normal.
    Last edited by 40ncounting; 06-25-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: changed 2010 to 2011

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-luder View Post
    when a shock is dry is when I start worry.
    ^^^^^ +1 a little bit or oil is normal, Dry is not good
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    the air seals are really easy to replace. Fox has some good tutorials on youtube for it. I can't get you a link to them because I'm at work and youtube is blocked. The seal kits for all of the fox shocks are the same. I did my rp2 a month or so ago. It took about 20-30 minutes to swap all of the seals.

according to the fox maintenance schedule, you should be replacing these seals every 6 months...but i don't know whether or not i believe that.