Thread: rear shock

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

rear shock

this is just a question .what would most likely hapen if a person was to remove the rear shock and replace it with a solid rod (ie make it a ridged ) WHAT WOULD BREAK !!!!!!! or would it even be rideable ?????

again just wondering

mtbr member
    Depends on the bike, but the chances are the tabs that hold the shock to the frame which are welded on will break off after a while. The bike will still work for commuting..... I think... if you don't go dropping any curbs.

perpetual pucker factor
    depends also on the frame tubing. If they factored in the force dissipation that a shock can offer when they designed their butted tubing, a solid bar could possibly crush or collapse it. Hard to tell from lust looking at the outside of the frame if that would happen without testing/FEA though.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

usually cranky
    cant say for sure but im positive nothing good would come of it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    cant say for sure but im positive nothing good would come of it.
    I totally agree-what would happen if you did that with your car or think of this- your POGO STICK- Honestly I'm using an exagerated example to make a point. Dont try.

DynoDon
    we do it for Ice Racing on motorcycles, its called a struts, it makes the bike a rigid, but ice is basicly smooth, on a mountain bike it would probably wear the bushings out eventually, especially if they are made of brass or another soft metal, if there is any play it would wear there faster. If you Max out the shock air pressure, you'd get close to the same results with a bit of cushion from the shock to put less stress on the bushings.
    I know a woman 4'9" that ran struts to lower her Harley-Davidson Sportster for years on the street, the only thing that was damaged was her back.. Michigan has very ruff roads.. so I'd say you can do it, but why?? if the bike makes it you won't..LOL!!
    Last edited by manabiker; 12-18-2010 at 05:53 AM.

MattSavage
    Contact the guy that posted this and see how it worked out for him: Show Us Your Raleigh's!!!!!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....