mtbr member
    Sep 2004

rear shock for 03 enduro?

what would be a good rear shock upgrade for my bike?
    is there a dhx air for this bike?
    has anybody woked with a rp3/23

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    DHX air is really nice but you might have issue with seat post clearance or clearance period on the piggyback. RP3/23 should work really well. I think your bike takes 7.5x2.0 shocks. Or you can find a fox float AVA for pretty cheap on ebay here and there. That should be pretty nice too for you bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    duke 777,
    thanx for the reply,
    i just got some info from fox saying they have no aftermarket shocks for my bike.
    on the dhx? how much of a clearance problems will i have?
    i know some of them shave off the pointed piece on the seat tube and it seems to do the trick,and there goes the warranty on the frame right? ive abused this frame and its rock solid,im a 225 clyde .

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdy lopez
    duke 777,
    thanx for the reply,
    i just got some info from fox saying they have no aftermarket shocks for my bike.
    i know some of them shave off the pointed piece on the seat tube and it seems to do the trick,and there goes the warranty on the frame right? ive abused this frame and its rock solid,im a 225 clyde .
    I borrowed a friend of a friend's '03 Enduro Pro a few days ago when my bike was in the shop. (The shop found several large cracks on the headtube while it was in for a tune up) Anyway, the bike had a X-Fusion coil, piggyback shock on it. The owner I think has had the shock on the bike for awhile and I don't think there have been any problems. I actually enjoied it.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    so youre telling me the dhx might fit? well thanx for the response now i have to figure out what size to buy.
    t.y.

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdy lopez
    duke 777,
    thanx for the reply,

The DHX might fit but you definitly won't be able to lower you seat post as much or at all.

The size that might fit your bike is 7.5x2. Fox OEM Enduro's orignal shock so they won't sell you anyother shock.

If you are heavier I would consider something beefier down the road. That enduro will crack just give it a little time when you are over 200lbs like me. The Enduro is a good bike but stiffness is not it's game. I can feel the rear flex a lot and does not track well over bummpy turns.

Instead of spending 400+ bucks for a rear shock, you might want to save that money and buy a better frame down the road. Like I said before a 7.5x2.0 float AVA will work wonders for your bike for around 100 bucks. Save the rest when time comes for the new steed.

I recently got a Chumba EVO you might want to look at that frame if it's within your price range. It's a 6 inch frame that can climb, and it's super stiff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

cuanto?

so,how much did that frame set you back and what do you think of the FOES 2:1FXR?

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    The frame cost me around 1800+ other goodies.......you can't just get the frame!

The Foes FXR was definitly one of the top contender. But it did not impress me that much when I test rode it. I tried to run over parking stones and curbs and sharp turns.....over all it's a great bike but just did not excite me that much(I know parking lot test is not the greatest). Plus I'm still not sure if I like the single pivot thing/feel since I being on 4bar design for ever. I also don't like all those fancy hydro-formed tubing with fancy looking shape. To me(I'm a computer nerd) the round/even shape can withstand greatest amount of force....think bridges, roofs, buildings... The uneven shape creates unevenly distributed presure/stress over weld and tubing...IMHO.

When I jumped on the Chumba EVO it just felt more natural, more balanced and comfortable. Then it took off when I stepped on the pedal. Great all around all mountain frame...with proper setup of course. Oh it saved my life at least once over some nasty boulders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    ive owned specialized for over 10 yaer span'what do think of the sworks enduro?

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    The S-works Enduro this year is a carbon version of the regurlar enduro. The regular enduro rides like a brick, a lot stiffer than the one you have but feels slugish pedaling and turning. I have not even seen a S-works enduro period since they are limited production and VERY EXPENSIVE! I believe the bike from what I read from the magazines will cost you around 7000 range. Why pay so much for a taiwan bike? Just my $0.02

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Oh BTW If I have the carbon S-works enduro I would not ride anywhere near any rocks. You don't want to knick carbon at all.

mtbr member
    I put a 7.875 RP3 on my Enduro130 (2003). It balances out the Pike on the front quite well. The shock that came with that frame was 7.625 if I'm not mistaken. I would not put a 7.5 on there, your HA will be waaaaaay slack. Search the specialized forum, there are pics somewhere of a guy that put a 7.875 DHX-A on an Enduro 130.

And finally, call PUSH if you want to get the ultimate upgrade, they had the 7.625 i2i RP3 they were offering as a direct replacement for the Enduro 130 a while back.

Hope that helps

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit
    I put a 7.875 RP3 on my Enduro130 (2003). It balances out the Pike on the front quite well. The shock that came with that frame was 7.625 if I'm not mistaken. I would not put a 7.5 on there, your HA will be waaaaaay slack. Search the specialized forum, there are pics somewhere of a guy that put a 7.875 DHX-A on an Enduro 130.

And finally, call PUSH if you want to get the ultimate upgrade, they had the 7.625 i2i RP3 they were offering as a direct replacement for the Enduro 130 a while back.

Hope that helps
    7.875-7.625=.250 7.625-7.5= .125

So by using a 7.5 i2i it will only slack the HT angle by just a hair not waaaay slack. I definitly would not use a 7.875 which would make the HT angle more steep and a 7.5 i2i slacken. You have 140mm fork that's why making your HT angle a hair more steep is ok since the front is higher. But over your BB is way higher and so is Center of gravity. I don't believe Spec recommend a 140mm fork. The frame is designed around a 125mm fork.

I prefer slacken HT angle a little than making it steeper. Plus shorter shock mean lower BB lower Center of Gravity...both are good things IMHO.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well i've not long since fitted a 5th Element Coil , that i picked up on ebay for a bargain price. Its smooth and soo plush. Have a look for my pic on pg7 of the AM bike thread. Its the same size length and stroke and went straight in using the fox bushes.

mtbr member
    fair enough, I guess I meant waaaay slack with a longer fork like I have, not sure what he's running.

I also wanted to raise the BB a little, since I was pedal-bashing quite a bit in rock gardens

Don't even get me started on Specialized specifying travel length (versus AC height) of forks as the "warranty voiding" measurement for this frame