www.derbyrims.com

Rear derailleur rock guard?

Is there a good rear derailleur rock guard?

Something that would protect the rear derailleur from side swipes or getting grabbed and bending the hanger or worse by those rocks (or roots) sticking out at the side of a deeply eroded rocky trail.

Long ago I remember a straight post about and 2 inches long that would replace the bolt of a quick-release. But that was mostly just good for protecting the der when the bike was laid down on the right side. I'm hoping to find something that would slide along a rock without grabbing it.

BTW, I'm using a standard quick release in the rear hub if that matters. Der is Sram X-9.

Thanks for any clues!

www.derbyrims.com
    Google found this Hanger Banger from North Shore Billet in Whistler. http://www.northshorebillet.com/main.html

Edit: I found this cheepo guard added below called 4-Jeri Banguard available for $17 in a few places - Universal Cycles, Tree Fort Bikes. Not as bling as the Banger Hanger but would probably have about the same protection against most side hits.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by derby; 02-08-2009 at 09:38 PM.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ that piece, as it seems to me, would take away the functionality of the derailleur hanger. If you hit a rock, it would put all the force on the mech itself and not allow the hanger to absorb any impact. I would rather replace a 2$ bit instead of the whole shebang.
    Help me out w/ any errors in my logic
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Dirt Deviant
    Derailluer hangers are alot more than $2..............= )
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

~Disc~Golf~
    ok savage, ya got me...maybe i shoulda said '2-buck' (just meaning cheap )
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Dirt Deviant
    Hehe.
    I think the idea of the hanger banger is pretty good, but I have not heard much feedback on it. It looks like its function is not so much to protect the derailluer, but the dropout area in the event of a crash. It seems like if the derailluer itself took a hit from the side it would still bend the hanger.
    I could see the banger being good in some instances of a crash where you go down on the right side. Looks like it distrubtes the impact over a larger area on the dropout. But repeated crashes could weaken the frame in that area.
    Looks to me like the banger would be pretty cool for protecting the dropout, but wouldn't do too much in the way of protecting the derailluer from roots/rocks etc.
    I'd be interested to hear some input from actual use.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    New Saint derailler has some protection build in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just fitted a new saint mech after my XTR got snapped in a rocky section, it was the carbon shadow xtr it lasted 1year and 3 days, I was told 3 rides and it will snap, its done about 3000miles :-)

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    I think somebody makes a big plasticy thing, lemme see if I can find it
    here is an article about it, you can look for some more.
    http://www.azfreeride.com/?q=node/291
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffus
    he carbon shadow xtr it lasted 1year and 3 days
    Was not it just released in January 2008? You got it quick.

Why would shadow be any more susceptible to failure then any other non-shadow derailleur Shimano had before?

mtbr member
    The plastic guard made by Azfreeride is probably the only useful piece of plastic you can get. I've seen a few bike with those installed, supposed to be great

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by b4 stealth
    I think somebody makes a big plasticy thing, lemme see if I can find it
    here is an article about it, you can look for some more.
    http://www.azfreeride.com/?q=node/291
    That looks ideal. Sure is ugly... but a punched in and wheel sucked derailleur is a lot uglier.

I wish I had that or even a Hanger Banger on my bike on South Mountain last November. I barely touched the rock that slapped and jammed my der cage into the spokes locking the wheel and twisting the hanger. The Hanger Banger probably would have been enough that day.

With the Hanger Banger the hanger still would work if the der cage was sucked by a stick in the spokes or some other way. I don't think it would reduce the hanger effectiveness, just give more resistance to twisting and most outside hits.

Thanks b4 stealth, and everyone for your comments.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    That looks ideal. Sure is ugly... but a punched in and wheel sucked derailleur is a lot uglier.
    exactly, function over fashion dude!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Curmy, got mine on the 9th January 2008 , I was told the carbon arm would snap after 3 rides by many people including my LBS, it didn't snap it cracked on one side after catching it on a really funny shaped rock sticking out under the heather, still worked and got me home 15 miles later :-), looking out on ebay now for a xtr mech with broken top half :-) I have one on my Super light that I bought in june 08 still going strong, they shift so smooth its hard to tell its changed sometimes.