Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rear Deraileur Recommendations

My rear deraileur is shot. Between the accident last fall and subsequent encounters with rocks and sticks, I don't ride on normal trails in fact they might not be trails at all but soon will be, its finally shat the bed.

My LBS recommended the Saint, only problem there is that I don't want to build out a new hub and blow another 3 hundy when I am going to buy another bike this season.

So what's out there, that can take abuse but isn't going to cost alot of coin in additional components?

mtbr member
    What rear mech finally bit the dust? Since your LBS recommended the Saint, I imagine something Shimano. The LX would be pretty durable and inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Yes, its Shimano. The deraileur lable says DECT2 or something. I think I need something more beefier. What do you think about SRAM? Say the X.9?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RemfRider
    Yes, its Shimano. The deraileur lable says DECT2 or something. I think I need something more beefier. What do you think about SRAM? Say the X.9?

the sram X.9 is a great derailleur, the only problem is you need 1:1 shifters....

I just picked up a 06 sram X.9 derailleur, and 06 X.9 shifters for $118 from blue sky.. they price matched them for me... you could buy them both, and put them on whatever new bike you buy, or keep them as spares....

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    My rear deraileur is shot. Between the accident last fall and subsequent encounters with rocks and sticks, I don't ride on normal trails in fact they might not be trails at all but soon will be, its finally shat the bed.

My LBS recommended the Saint, only problem there is that I don't want to build out a new hub and blow another 3 hundy when I am going to buy another bike this season.

So what's out there, that can take abuse but isn't going to cost alot of coin in additional components?
    I agree that if you are concerned about your derailieur breaking, the key is to go cheap. I have broken rear derailieurs in the past, and I don't think the design had much to do with it. Let's face it, it's possibly the most complicated piece of hardware on the bike and it hangs down someplace that exposes it to being smashed on rocks or rippied off by the random short, thick stick.

If your shifters are shimano, go with LX or XT, I've used them both and as far as I can tell the only difference is weight. I've had an LX deraileur bounce from one bike to the next for about 7 years and it still works perfectly. I prefer SRAM, but you will need new shifters. Again, I find the lower end ones work just as well as the high end ones though I hear the XO may be better, but there is no way in he11 I am going to hang a $200 bill off the back of my bike for a stick or rock to steal.

Anyway I think the key to AM derailieurs

mtbr member
    I love the feel of the Sram stuff, but at 110 for the conversion you can get 3 or 4 lx deraileurs from Jenson. If you really wanna stay chant eap, thats the way to go.

Matt

dnuorgrednuekib

Good job! Sram

If you are contemplating the purchase of a Saint derailer - drop your money on the Sram and get new shifters (X7's will do).

It couldn't be eaiser to set up (no silly Shimano cable loop), takes about 10 min to dial it in, shifts like a dream, and I've knocked mine around quite a bit over the last year without even having to adjust it.
    Go ride your bike, you friggin' geek!

banned
    holy phoque.

"All Mountain" doesn't require a Saint derailleur.

your LBS is trying to screw you out of money.

if you're trashing rear ders regularly, run a Shimano Deore (not LX, not XT).

and meanwhile, learn how to ride your fuggin' "All Mountain" bike.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike

and meanwhile, learn how to ride your fuggin' "All Mountain" bike.
    What makes you think he can't already?

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Just built an enduro with saint components better shifting than xtr and of course the benifits of strength actualy its a saint hub with hone deraileur. The 12mm SS axle is top notch. I have an xtr up front and they are controled by SRAM rocket 2:1 triggers (excellent shifters!).

Its kind of a pain taking off the rear wheel, but it is worth it, and of course the Saint and Hone deraileur are a little less than twice as heavy as an xtr. Also Saint and hone only come in Rapid rise.

Ironicly I let my roommate use my xc bike and shifted into big gear - big gear after I warned him about the short cage xtr rear. Well the quality of an XTR derailuer is as strong as an ox but the hanger didnt make it.

The bottom post that recomends you learn how to ride? and recomends deore is bad. The deore is cheap and works well but the stamped metal bends easily; however the good thing is you can bend it back.

I dont see why you should upgrade to Sram? They are good stuff but all you need is a rear derailuer. The other alternative is to get the Derailuer protector from specialized. You unbolt a cone from one end of a skewer and bolt this protector on and the other end of the protector goes into the allen socket of the derailuer. Not as good as a Saint or hone but better than no protection. Id go with no less than an xt or x-9 for strength.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SLX; 04-30-2006 at 11:30 AM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    What makes you think he can't already?
    read his first post.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    read his first post.
    OK, I'm not getting it. Help me out here.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Cus he fell? Yea your probably right gonzo; like my sister never fell on her bike and never broke a derailuer but she rides a trike. So she musta gots skills :P

banned
    here ya go:

if you don't know how to ride in a way that prevents your rear der from getting munched, you need to learn new skills or improve the existing ones.

Your bike is incorrigible
    I ride where there are plenty of rocks and sticks, and I've never had anything other than XT. It has some scuff marks where I smacked it against rocks, so I do know that I'm hitting them. Evidently, though, I'm not hitting them correctly. Otherwise, I would be blowing out my derailleur every other ride.

Just stick with the LX or XT so you don't have to switch out the shifters. Although I, too, like the way SRAM feels, it just isn't worth it to switch the entire drivetrain. You'll just end up replacing an X.9 derailleur in the near future. I'll put it nicer than gonzo: get a new Shimano derailleur and try to avoid those rocks.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    if you don't know how to ride in a way that prevents your rear der from getting munched, you need to learn new skills or improve the existing ones.
    Never get a stick caught in your wheel? Have you ridden on the east coast? Depending on where you live, you may be one of the only ones that EVER ride a given trail. Many of the places I rode in VA, NJ and CT were unmaintained and littered with loose sticks. Getting a stick caught in a wheel is just a fact of life.. Most people I rode with on the east coast have at one point had rear deraileurs ripped off from a stick in the rear wheel or landed flat on their face from a stick in the front wheel. I've done both twice.

Even besides a stick, who never crashes? Who has never fallen over trying a log crossing? I fell off my bike three times today. Granted they where all very low speed technical sections, and I was not too worried about getting hurt, but that could be all it takes to f up something on the bike.

Anyway, I take the point about being mindful about the bike and not abusing it, but accidents are just part of the game.

thats right living legend
    Never get a stick caught in your wheel? Have you ridden on the east coast? Depending on where you live, you may be one of the only ones that EVER ride a given trail. Many of the places I rode in VA, NJ and CT were unmaintained and littered with loose sticks. Getting a stick caught in a wheel is just a fact of life.. Most people I rode with on the east coast have at one point had rear deraileurs ripped off from a stick in the rear wheel or landed flat on their face from a stick in the front wheel. I've done both twice.

Even besides a stick, who never crashes? Who has never fallen over trying a log crossing? I fell off my bike three times today. Granted they where all very low speed technical sections, and I was not too worried about getting hurt, but that could be all it takes to f up something on the bike.

Anyway, I take the point about being mindful about the bike and not abusing it, but accidents are just part of the game.

Your wrong, if you happen to be having a few hangups or setback or two lately, you just lack skill, and should be bagged on, all over the internet for attempting to seek any advice.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Your wrong, if you happen to be having a few hangups or setback or two lately, you just lack skill, and should be bagged on, all over the internet for seeking any advice.
    You are right, that guy's a tool.

HEY! You with the broken deraileur! Quit your belly-aching and learn how ride! And quit bothering us with questions. What do you think this is, a Q & A forum?

ride hard take risks
    Shimano XT tough as hell!

MTB B'dos
    As others have said if you're going to be buying a complete new bike soon go with a LX or XT RD or if you really bang them up and replace them every other month go Deore, then chose what you want for a new drive train on your new bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by RenfRider

OK, obviously you're a great ride gonzo, never hit you derailer on anything and never ride anywhere like this OR you just cannot read and understand. From what I gather he rides where there's no trails and hence probably a $hit load of brush and sticks, rocks that you can't see and therfor manages to crack the derailer into them on a regular basis - he's making trail and you can't avoid what you can't see.

You really are a very helpful person

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kapusta

here ya go:

Quote:

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

"El Whatever"
    I agree with Kapusta... Deore is your ticket.

A brand new one, no blowouts is like 30 bucks, works almost as fine as an LX/XT and will last long on you. If you ever happen to smack the sheit out of it, just go to your store and get another one.

For what an XT goes like, you can get two Deores and in a bad crash, the survival opportunity of both is fairly the same.

It ain't smooth, light or blingy, but gets the job done and it's a wise investment if you crash often.

Seriously, I don't think anything below a Hone or Saint would survive a nice stuck branch or bad crash.... but going that way, you need the mech, the hub, the shifters and you get stuck with the Rapid-Rise shifting.

If it was a rare occurence, maybe the XT would be better... the LX is very similar to the Deore, but just a little lighter.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    I agree with Kapusta... Deore is your ticket.

A brand new one, no blowouts is like 30 bucks, works almost as fine as an LX/XT and will last long on you. If you ever happen to smack the sheit out of it, just go to your store and get another one.

For what an XT goes like, you can get two Deores and in a bad crash, the survival opportunity of both is fairly the same.

It ain't smooth, light or blingy, but gets the job done and it's a wise investment if you crash often.

Seriously, I don't think anything below a Hone or Saint would survive a nice stuck branch or bad crash.... but going that way, you need the mech, the hub, the shifters and you get stuck with the Rapid-Rise shifting.

If it was a rare occurence, maybe the XT would be better... the LX is very similar to the Deore, but just a little lighter.
    Also, might be worth buying a spare derailler hanger (if your bike has a replacable one). Could come in handy on a long ride.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Also, might be worth buying a spare derailler hanger (if your bike has a replacable one). Could come in handy on a long ride.
    Along with the tools to remove it/install it. Some der hangers use the same kind of nuts as the chainrings.
    Check my Site

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

You may have already checked, but there are two things that acount for most all of rear der problems. First, are you sure the hanger is not bent? Second, have you changed the cables and housing?

A less common but possible cause is that the shifters are not working well. Never found this with SRAM, but have twice with Shimano. Once just required cleaning out. The other a new shifter

I am not a profesional mechanic, but I work on all of my friends' bikes, and I have yet to see a rear der that "sort of" works. Either they work or they are a busted, and it is painfully obvious they are busted. Your's may be an exeption, but over and over again I hear people being told they need a new der, and I've found the problem elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    39 dollars for xt at jensonusa. buy spares, derailleurs take alot of abuse. sham is merely the flavor of the month and saint is stupidly expensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast